Cable vs Satellite

sethm

Original poster
May 12, 2006
Not sure what forum to post this in, so here it goes.

I have a HD capable TV.

What is better
1. cable vs satellite?
2. digital cable vs satellite
3. HD cable vs HD sat?

Thx

Dish Network (DishHD) currently offers the best overall HD experience (most HD and best quality HD) of any of the providers; they are followed by FiOS TV who have the best quality HD, great service pricing...however, they are a new service and have limited service areas at present; cable generally does a pretty good job with quality, but they generally have limited availability...and the quantity and pricing varies widely based on geographic area and service provider (some provide a good HD package, others pretty dismal - some offer good pricing/hardware, while others are terrible); last is DirecTV...they provide substandard HD quality and quantity...however, they offer an ever growing number of HD locals and appear to ready to finally deliver on their promise to be the HD Leader - of course, they have saying this the past 18 months or more. If you're looking for a HD DVR...Dish Network providers the best (942/622), followed by DirecTV (TIVO), the FiOS and Motorola (6214?) appear to be on-par, follow by any cable provider using the SA8000HD/SA8300HD DVR.

The quality of digital cable and satellite channels (SD) vary widely...I recommend sticking with the provider who providers you with the HD channels you are wanting, gives you excellent picture quality, offers programming packages that meet your viewing needs, and offers you advanced equipment choices if that's what you're looking to rent or purchase.

This is my opinion based on my experiences. Currently, I am with Dish Network...but I will gladly subscribe to the provider who provides me with the best/most HD experience, reliable HD equipment, and best overall entertainment value.

Last edited:
If your local cable operator carries HD, then that would be the way to go. DirecTV broadcast in"HDlite" where as cable does not. No contracts, commitments, etc. with cable. If the digital cable equipment needs to be upgraded, they do it with no upfront fees, or commitments. If you upgrade your equipment w/ satellite, there is an upfront fee involved from $99 to $400 depending on your preferences and "extended contracts". Keep in mind both Dish and DirecTV has lease programs in place but yet you still have to sign this and pay that. Something else to consider, if your cable operator offers internet, then you may consider internet, phone and video services through your cable provider. If the cable operator doesn't offer VoIP or digital phone services but internet then Vonage among others is an alternative. Bottom line bundling your services with cable would be cheaper if you can do all three. With satellite, that's one bill, then another with DSL (standard or satellite internet) and then another for telephone. On Demand is another service some operators are starting to offer and has been will received so far, something satellite can't do.

riffjim4069 said:
Dish Network (DishHD) currently offers the best overall HD experience (most HD and best quality HD) of any of the providers; they are followed by FiOS TV who have the best quality HD, great service pricing...however, they are a new service and have limited service areas at present; cable generally does a pretty good job with quality, but they generally have limited availability....

i think everyone would agree that if you live in a fios tv area, go with them unless you really want the voom channels.

korsjs said:
i think everyone would agree that if you live in a fios tv area, go with them unless you really want the voom channels.
Absolutely. DirecTV and Dish Network customers services are better than cable...FiOS is too new to rate, but almost all of my Telco experiences have been favorable. BTW, I am somewhat jaded because I am an Adelphia broadband customer (not by choice).:rolleyes:

chrisw27 said:
Separate bill for DSL and Phone? Um.. right.. You can get AT&T for Dish Network, Phone, and DSL, even a lot cheaper than cable. Also with cable, most of your shows are delayed 3 hours if you live in the west coast plus they can take over your commercials with local promotion stuff on any channel, and you get a whole bunch of fuzzy analog channels. Think you can take control of your TV to block out unwanted channels from everyone? Think again, all the person needs to do is set the cable box to 'Bypass' or unplug the cable and plug it straight into the TV and they can watch all the analog channels you blocked. Cable is only good for internet and phone. Fiber optic is the latest technology so get Verizon's FiOS if its available.

DSL can be done through different providers, you do not have to subscribe to the phone companies DSL service to have it. :rolleyes:

as for AT&T bundle, must be the basics?

What's wrong with local insertions, Dish and DirecTV does national insertions. Local insertions (or commercials) is away for operators to generate revenue and a way of promoting local businesses as well. Nothing wrong with advertising your local business and supporting them. It's how people keep jobs, etc.

as for "bypassing" the box, set your parental controls on your TV. :rolleyes:

as for FiOS, prices will increase as they work on this. investors are putting on the heat for returns now not later. it's going to boil over before long.

(((chrisw27 removed posting will I was posting a reply)))

Last edited:
korsjs said:

With my recent FIOS experience, I'm not sure that I would agree with that. A week ago, definately! But now... I dunno, I might go with a more established provider.

-John

That's a hard question to answer until someone that has, or had, Cox in Sou Calif chimes and tells you how good the PQ is. And that would not be the complete proof as cable PQ varyies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

But if Cox has a good reputation of having a good PQ then that would be my choice. Unless you have FIOS there. Then that would be my first choice. With cable there's no upfront cost as with Dish & DirecTV. Also, there are no commitments with cable. You can cancel anytime. With Dish or DirecTV you'll have at least 1 year commitment plus you would have to pay a downpayment to lease the equipment from Dish or DirecTV.

My choices in order would be:
FIOS - if available
Cable - If they have a good PQ
Dish
DirecTV - I wouldn't pick because all their HD channels are HD-Lite. I just left them for Time Warner Cable a couple of months ago because of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)