Cablevision agrees to end Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Charles was in charge and was responsible.

cidbozek said:
charles did his best, and i give him alot of credit.

If he did his best, he would have run VOOM correctly from the start. Then they would have had plenty of subscribers - or at least regular subscriber growth month to month. Then Cablevision would not have been pressured to shut down the service. I, for one, blame Charles Dolan for screwing this up and causing the shutdown.

Its Over Now...

Well it's been fun... but it looks like it is all over now. I am glad I kept my OTA STB's because that is all I will be using for a while once V* goes dark. I upgraded to VaVa last week and I guess I will be able to enjoy it for a couple of more weeks. :no :river

Thanks, I think, Ilya. That makes it pretty official.

Ilya said:
FYI:
SatelliteGuys has been notified this morning that VOOM will be closing on April 30.
We are also asked to remove VOOM ads, which Scott is going to do later today.
The shutdown process is under way...
:(

Will continue to read and post on here until VOOM goes dark. Thanks to you and the satguys crew for providing this forum. Not likely to post beyond the end of the month as no plans for either of the other sat providers.

However, at this point still enjoying HDTV under sunny Seattle skies, Gill

I called voom customer service...

about an hour ago. (Noon EST.)

The CSR I got wouldn't confirm the shutdown but said "There are some big unconfirmed changes coming."

It looks like they're going away.

I did the only logical thing and ordered Playboy-HD.

-PM

I did the only logical thing and ordered Playboy-HD.
HA HA! You mean the OBGYN-channel!

Seriously, it is a sad day for HD when VOOM takes its last wheeze. More competition is always better than less. I have D* and I hate them more each day because of their paltry HD offerings and the PQ going down the crapper. I would have gotten V* ages ago if it wasn't for the damn big trees around here. And I live in the desert.

But this story has been like a soap opera co-written by Donald Trump and David Lynch. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot more twists and turns before May 1.

Bunnyman said:
But this story has been like a soap opera co-written by Donald Trump and David Lynch. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot more twists and turns before May 1.

I am hoping for some of them twists and turns. I am not sure were to go from VoOm. I wonder how many HD channels I can get over Ka/C band? Damn.. but no Tivo on those :(

Oh well, I am recording as much VoOm content as I can then. Save it for later. Hehe.. I have even loaded some GuyTV commercials and movies onto my PSP :)

jnardone said:
If he did his best, he would have run VOOM correctly from the start. Then they would have had plenty of subscribers - or at least regular subscriber growth month to month. Then Cablevision would not have been pressured to shut down the service. I, for one, blame Charles Dolan for screwing this up and causing the shutdown.

This is one of the biggest marketing fiascos I've ever seen. IMHO, the worst of this would not have been shutting down last month, but letting us believe that the problem were being solved and that Voom would stay in business.

I've never seen a bigger mess than this.

jnardone said:

This is just silly. It is hard to start a new business in the face of tough competition.

Dolan has had to deal with public shareholders, with his son who actually runs the company, the board, etc. I think he may have done a better job of Voom had it been a private company, but even the way Voom is, my hat is off to Dolan Sr..

I hope there is still some life in Voom, whatever the next incarnation.
As far a a marketing fiasco, who knows what went on behind closed doors and what deal, if any has been worked out.

For now, we still have signal, so enjoy it while it lasts. If it goes out, then each of us can determine what, if any of the meager other options to choose.

just talked to a csr, and they indicated that the rumor they hear is that some of the programming may go to timewarner and adelphia

well maybe TW, but not adelphia! stopped at my local adelphia and was told that its all but a done deal that TW is purchasing them!!!!

jeslevine said:
just talked to a csr, and they indicated that the rumor they hear is that some of the programming may go to timewarner and adelphia

Sounds like the 2 separate stories are morphing into one big one. INFO OVERLOAD WARNING :D

Component *can* display HD-DVD...

bruce said:
As long as you have HDMI or DVI you will be fine, I am looking at new Toshibas now since HD-DVD Component output will maxed out at 480P.

This statement is not entirely correct. Existing players will not output 720p or 1080i through their component video ports. If you were to purchase and HD DVD player, chances are it will carry component output ports, as DVI and HDMI are still fairly new to displays and receivers.

You're fine...

seandudley said:
I looked at their site, but this just upscales a regular DVD to output at 1080i, right? I would need a DVD player capable of playing HD-DVDs that outputs it at 1080i to component.

The only thing you'll need is an HD-DVD player. Component outputs have way more than enough bandwidth to carry a 1080i or even 1080p signal. Personally, I'm waiting for the universal (Blu-Ray & HD-DVD) players...

Tough to move on...

I *just* had voom installed, and I had to re-work half my equipment closet to do it... So if I have to switch to another provider, we're talking serious headache. Think about it: we had to pay for a professional install, and if they're going to require that our equipment be returned (for those of us renting the equipment... I truly feel sorry for those who have recently purchased equipment...) then they should have to come uninstall it... Guess I'll leave my equipment rack undone until I have some firm equipment in hand! Ugh!

optimusprime said:
This statement is not entirely correct. Existing players will not output 720p or 1080i through their component video ports. If you were to purchase and HD DVD player, chances are it will carry component output ports, as DVI and HDMI are still fairly new to displays and receivers.

I think what he meant was that the content providers would require your TV to be able to serve as a "trusted component" to be able to receive the full HD resolution, which means DVI or HDMI only, and not component. But, as I said, at some point it will be simply a matter of a software hack to be able to keep your current HD set (they aren't cheap, you know:)

Thank you for clarifying...

GreatMac said:
I think what he meant was that the content providers would require your TV to be able to serve as a "trusted component" to be able to receive the full HD resolution, which means DVI or HDMI only, and not component. But, as I said, at some point it will be simply a matter of a software hack to be able to keep your current HD set (they aren't cheap, you know:)

Quite the good point. I do understand that the analog inputs are tougher for Hollywood and the MPAA to control, but they are already widely available and capable, is my point. Heck, one of my voom boxes is strapped up via component!

Hey now...

Andrew B said:
just great. Now I'm going to have to go outside... :eek:

But not until May! :D

You're damn skippy I've dragged a tv into my backyard before... And scaled the powerline pole just to hack a few local channels! Ah, to be that stupid again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)