Cablevision Board To Debate Voom Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Dow Jones Newswires (Smartmoney.com):

The dispute could lead to a shakeup of board members, according to people familiar with the matter. The Dolan family through its voting stock appoints eight of the directors. Among the eight seats the family controls are several members of the Dolan family, including both Charles and James Dolan. It is unclear whether Charles Dolan controls enough of the family interest to remove directors who oppose him. However, as the founder and family patriarch, Charles Dolan likely has the influence to have his way. His son, James Dolan, likely has less influence than his father over the rest of the family.

calikarim said:
You have to remember Microsoft was started in a garage with a $10,000 loan. Apple computer, same thing. When Revolutions are started there is a lot of resistance. Even when America was liberated from the British, we lost countless brave souls. It was a David and Goliath like situation, look at America today, the most powerful country in the world freed from the clutches of the mighty British empire.

Charles Dolan has the vision, he can see into the future the power of vooms assets. The whole world is converting and thinking about HD. Electronics Arts the software designer announces yesterday that they are alligning with Sony Blue Ray HD-DVD division to design HD games. Voom is a goldmine, this is the year 2005 HD will take off. The market is untapped. Forget US, only if i were the Dolans, i would be thinking Europe, Asia, MIddle East for voomsatellite sales. The satellites are already place, they should sell dishes from Mumbai to Copenhagan. Global Dominatiom. billions on the line, and on the other hand a measly 0.6% drag on the stock price only of paper. Give me a break fire the lazy James Dolan , only thinking about his golf game and his inheritance, and Charles should pursue his vision.

Go Voom Go. Conquer the HD masses. DVR and 70 channels HD, 300 channels HD, 60 days and counting

What the h*ll are you smoking, "Europe, Asia, MIddle East for voomsatellite sales. The satellites are already place" that was the biggest laugh I have had today, gee I wonder what size dish it would take to see from those places in the world, Asia would have to have the first Dish to see through the Earth's crust to be able to see the Voom bird
thinkerg.gif

Anyways, most of those areas of the world are already served by a little company named Sky TV, owned by a nobody we would have heard of.

Wouldn't it be funny if this were all a clever PR campaign to draw plenty of free attention toward VOOM. Perhaps WWEs Vince McMahon is architecting this slight of hand? Anyway, I would LOL if VOOM were to announce surprisingly good subscriber numbers and detail their upcoming plans. Maybe Scott already knows the Dolan's will be dawning tights and stepping into the ring for Monday Night Raw. :shocked

Too funny...hey, who turned off my VOOM signal? Just kidding!!! :cool:

Stand by for more news and entertainment.

riffjim4069 said:
Wouldn't it be funny if this were all a clever PR campaign to draw plenty of free attention toward VOOM.

I was thinking the same thing.

--Dan

I agree

Walter L. said:
Murdoch already owns D*. Why would he buy another DBS company?

It would be better in dish's interest. They already have programming at 61.5, and since Voom already has mpeg 4 it would put them at least one year ahead of Direct TV

jeslevine said:
It would be better in dish's interest. They already have programming at 61.5, and since Voom already has mpeg 4 it would put them at least one year ahead of Direct TV

They do not have MPEG4, they have STB's that can upgrade to MPEG4 via a slot, they as of now do not use MPEG4, D* was the first company to show a MPEG4 broadcast at the show.

I remember reading somewhere on this board back in nov or dec that voom was setting new subscriber records daily, and that they were signing up over 1,000 subs a day. anyone have any idea on how many subs they currently have?

bruce said:
They do not have MPEG4, they have STB's that can upgrade to MPEG4 via a slot, they as of now do not use MPEG4, D* was the first company to show a MPEG4 broadcast at the show.
No D* was the first to boast about it and incorrectly I believe because Voom has been running an Mpeg4 test channel. Just ask Sean. Hey Bruce/Boo they just shut Voom off, why dont you go announce that over at AVS.:D

bruce said:

vurbano said:
No D* was the first to boast about it and incorrectly I believe because Voom has been running an Mpeg4 test channel. Just ask Sean. Hey Bruce/Boo they just shut Voom off, why dont you go announce that over at AVS.:D

And my answer to that:
vurbano said:
Well since I was expressing my dissapointment with Voom at CES 2005 on other threads I might as well add my biggest dissapointment of all that NO ONE has mentioned.

1. What company was the first to announce their intent to go mpeg4? Voom
2. What company claims their reciever is upgradeable to mpeg4? Voom
3. What company displayed the worlds first mpeg4 broadcast at CES????

Directv

WTF?????????????????

Again, IMO, Voom has totally fallen on its face at this one. Im sorry to be so negative lately, I suppose it will wear off. But one of the major reasons I came to voom was their promise to implement mpeg4. And to be upstaged by a behemouth that doesnt give a rats ass about HD PQ or quantity on the mpeg4 issue is pretty embarrassing.:(
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=273480&postcount=1

deal.gif

From fredfa at AVS:

Originally posted by fredfa
Cablevision Board Tries to Resolve
Dispute Over Voom TV's Future

By PETER GRANT
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
January 19, 2005

The board of Cablevision Systems Corp. met to try to resolve differences over whether the company should continue funding a money-losing satellite-television service named Voom that it launched about one year ago, according to people familiar with the matter.

The satellite service has created an unusual public rift between Charles Dolan, the chairman and founder of the company, and his son James Dolan, Cablevision's chief executive. Charles Dolan, one of the pioneers of the cable industry, favors continuing funding the satellite service, which lost $75.3 million in the third quarter of 2004 alone. James Dolan and a majority of directors favor shutting it down or selling it.

The board voted last month to put Voom on the block and hasn't yet approved a budget for the service for this year, according to people familiar with the matter. Charles Dolan, opposed to last month's decision, is determined not to give up on his longstanding dream to build a satellite business. Cablevision has invested more than $500 million in the project.

Tuesday's meeting was called partly because Charles Dolan has indicated that if Voom isn't funded, he might try to unseat some of the directors who oppose him. He would likely be able to do this, because the Dolan family elects 75% of the directors, through a separate class of stock that it owns. He is believed to control enough of the stock personally or to have enough influence over other family members to get his way.

Corporate-governance experts say that, as the controlling shareholder, Charles Dolan probably has the legal ability to replace board members who oppose him. But they also warn that his action could give shareholders grounds for a lawsuit. In such a suit, both Mr. Dolan and the new directors he brings in would have to prove they believed that continuing Voom was in the best interest of all shareholders, according to Charles Elson, director of the University of Delaware's corporate-governance program.

"Once your office is a director, your obligation is to everyone," he says.

Charles Dolan's strategy for Voom has been to load it up with more high-definition channels than any other satellite service or cable company offers. But that hasn't proved a compelling offer, especially as competitors have increased their high-definition offerings. Voom had only 26,000 subscribers at the end of the third quarter.

Cablevision shares fell Tuesday on news that Charles Dolan was trying to revive Voom, which has been widely criticized by analysts and investors. Aryeh Bourkoff, an analyst with UBS Securities, downgraded the company, citing "uncertainty" over the satellite business. Cablevision shares fell 38 cents to $23.97 in 4 p.m. New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

At 75, Charlie Dolan still has all the muscle, brains and vision that his son doesn't have a clue. I can't think of another industry that is guaranteed by the Federal Government to grow to 80% by a fixed date. I am sure this is What he basis his moves on.

GO TO IT CHARLIEundefined

Cablevision's Founder Loses Voom Unit Fight to Son

See the NYT article below;

By GERALDINE FABRIKANT and ANDREW ROSS SORKIN

Published: January 19, 2005

A major showdown in the family that controls the Cablevision Systems Corporation ended yesterday with the son outmaneuvering the father and persuading directors to vote to put the company's troubled satellite business up for sale.

Yesterday, during a hastily scheduled meeting, directors of Cablevision, debated the fate of Voom, the satellite unit, in a showdown that pitted the father, who wanted to keep the business, against the son, who wanted to sell.

Advertisement

In the end, people close to the board say directors sided with the son, James L. Dolan, the 49-year-old chief executive and the heir apparent, against his father, Charles F. Dolan, the 78-year-old founder and controlling shareholder of Cablevision, based in Bethpage, N.Y.

The meeting appeared to have been prompted by outside directors who are concerned about Voom.

Mr. Dolan's opposition to his father's desire to keep the business was somewhat of a surprise because he has never been seen as particularly independent, and his role on the board has often been unclear.

The friction had drawn lines on the board between some supporters of the elder Mr. Dolan and several independent directors, according to several people close to the board.

One of those people said that two of Mr. Dolan's sons - Patrick Dolan, president of Cablevision's News 12 Networks, and Thomas Dolan, executive vice president of Cablevision Systems - have often lined up with their father against James, who is chief executive of Voom, and is more visible with investors than they are.

Thomas Dolan was scheduled to be named Voom's chief executive when the company was spun off, but that move was shelved in December.

Voom, which broadcasts high-definition television via satellite, has been a money pit. The service had 26,000 subscribers and has lost more than $76 million. When Cablevision canceled plans to spin off Voom and its Rainbow Media group, it said it would "pursue strategic alternatives" instead.

The main candidates to buy Voom - DirecTV and EchoStar - have shown little interest in buying the company's satellites. .

Cablevision had no comment.

But, according to a person close to a director, several independent directors were concerned about the possible legal implications of supporting Voom despite its losses and criticism on Wall Street. Problems at Voom are so noticeable that even longtime family supporters have started to oppose the project.

Several executives said yesterday that they were not surprised that directors were worried about the issue of independence in an era when directors at Enron and WorldCom, who did not take any action to stop mismanagement, have been forced to spend their own money to settle suits with shareholders.

The person close to several board members said some directors had obtained a legal opinion that said they needed to address the matter of what to do with Voom. This person said, "It is clear that the only reason they have kept it going is because of Chuck's dominance of the board and because it is a pet project of the chairman."

Nell Minow of the Corporate Library, a corporate governance monitoring organization, said her group had concerns about the independence of the Cablevision board, as well as executive pay. She noted that James Dolan's $1.6 million salary and $2.8 million annual bonus exceed the median for a company of Cablevision's size by over 20 percent. Ms. Minow added that there were many issues that would make a court look closely at a decision to support Mr. Dolan's interest in Voom.

"Keep in mind that the courts look only at the process and the structure," she said. "They ask whether the board followed the right steps and reviewed the questions. Given the coziness of this board it is hard to make a case for its independence. Therefore the genuine outside directors are under an obligation to take a scrupulous, skeptical look at what the management presents to them."

Though James Dolan has been chief executive since 1995, he has never distinguished himself with Wall Street investors in the manner of the chief executive of the Comcast Corporation, Brian L. Roberts, son of the founder Ralph Roberts.

Still, Charles Dolan who started Cablevision in 1973, has given his son a bigger title than Rupert Murdoch, the chairman of the News Corporation, has given his sons.

Mr. Dolan's support of Voom, however, had undermined his credibility on Wall Street, and James Dolan's opposition to his father could win him investor support.

"This is an important step in Jim's credibility with investors since it shows that he is focused on driving Cablevision's stock price," said Richard Greenfield, who follows Cablevision for Fulcrum Global Partners.

Over the last several years, analysts have found it hard to evaluate James Dolan's tenure. While they have questioned his management of Madison Square Garden, they have generally applauded him for the hiring of Thomas Rutledge as chief operating officer of Cablevision's cable systems business. But even there it is not clear that James Dolan was primarily responsible for bringing in Mr. Rutledge.

Ken Belson contributed reporting for this article.

Well that SUCKS!!! I haven't even gotten my VOOM installed and already I feel like I've lost it. We'll if someone does buy VOOM I think it would be in the best of hands if D* got it. :no :river

Scott Greczkowski said:
VOOM is not going anywhere, lots of things going on behind the scenes which havent even been mantioned here. :D

Did your "behind the scenes" sources know that the directors were going to vote to put VOOM up for sale? It certainly looks like VOOM is going somewhere.

(and from the Wall Street Journal)
By PETER GRANT Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
January 19, 2005; Page B3
The board of Cablevision Systems Corp. reiterated its determination to shut down or sell its unprofitable satellite service over the protests of Cablevision Chairman and Founder Charles Dolan, who wants to keep it going, people familiar with the matter said.
At a three-hour meeting via phone, the board asked Cablevision's management to give it a plan for cutting back funding of the service, known as Voom, which launched about a year ago.
The board also asked for a status report on efforts to sell the business. The company has funded the service, which lost $75.3 million in the third quarter of last year, only until the end of the month, people said.
A Cablevision spokesman declined to comment.
The satellite service has created an unusual public rift between Mr. Dolan and his son James Dolan, Cablevision's chief executive. James Dolan sides with the majority of directors who voted last month in favor of shutting Voom down or selling it.
Charles Dolan has indicated that he might try to unseat some of the directors who oppose him. He would likely be able to do this because the Dolan family elects 75% of the directors through a separate class of stock that it owns. Charles Dolan is believed to control the family stake through his own shares and his influence with other family members.
Charles Dolan didn't mention the threat to replace board members at yesterday's meeting, people familiar with the matter said. But he continued to argue that Cablevision should continue funding Voom, they added.
Most investors and analysts favor pulling the plug on Voom, which has cost Cablevision over $500 million and would likely run at a deficit for years. In 4 p.m. composite trading on the New York Stock Exchange, the stock was trading down 38 cents, or 1.6%, at $23.97.
"The uncertainty will persist until they can figure out a structure to get rid of Voom," says Aryeh Bourkoff, a cable analyst with UBS Securities who downgraded Cablevision on the news of the board rift.

This kind of pisses me off. Isn't VOOM only 1 1/2 old? And there already jumping ship. They didn't really give it a chance. They're entering a market with two very big and well established companies ruling it. And they did something neither of them could. That's provide the most HD ANYWHERE. Maybe it for the best. Maybe someone that has a pair will buy VOOM and continue it's mission. :mad:

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong or over reacting.

Was XM radio or Sirus profitable there first couple of years of service. I don't think so.

bruce said:

Nobody is running MPEG4. There are no commercially available real time MPGEG 4 encoders. From what I've heard, the D* MPEG 4 broadcast at CES was a pre-encoded stream that was spooled on a loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts