Cablevision Charge for Analog Box

joev

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
Hello All, I was having a problem which required me to put in a service call to Cablevision. They dispatched a technician and he fixed the problem which was caused by the analog box. He then told me this box has been extinct for about two years. I wrote the cablevision service department asking for a refund of the monthly charges for the amount of time I was paying for basically nothing. The letter I received was nothing more than a placate the customer bunch of rhetoric. Such statements as we have no way of knowing whether or not you were informed or that you didn't want the features. Well, having worked in customer service and project management I sure as heck would go back and see the plan as to when everything in my area went digital. They sure as heck didn't randomly do their upgrades. Has anyone experiences this type of customer service or something that would be rated as poor? I am in the process of sending a response to Theresa Fabis of the Cablevision-shared services department and sending all the correspondence and a copy of the letter to James Bickham(president of cable and communications). I may wind up losing the war but I am going to recommend that the customer service department be audited to ensure good will is fostered to each and every customer. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

JOEV - a Cablevision customer now looking into Direct TV.

joev said:
Hello All, I was having a problem which required me to put in a service call to Cablevision. They dispatched a technician and he fixed the problem which was caused by the analog box. He then told me this box has been extinct for about two years. I wrote the cablevision service department asking for a refund of the monthly charges for the amount of time I was paying for basically nothing. The letter I received was nothing more than a placate the customer bunch of rhetoric. Such statements as we have no way of knowing whether or not you were informed or that you didn't want the features. Well, having worked in customer service and project management I sure as heck would go back and see the plan as to when everything in my area went digital. They sure as heck didn't randomly do their upgrades. Has anyone experiences this type of customer service or something that would be rated as poor? I am in the process of sending a response to Theresa Fabis of the Cablevision-shared services department and sending all the correspondence and a copy of the letter to James Bickham(president of cable and communications). I may wind up losing the war but I am going to recommend that the customer service department be audited to ensure good will is fostered to each and every customer. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

JOEV - a Cablevision customer now looking into Direct TV.
WHile yeah it was probably CS in that they never made it clear to you the need to upgrade to a digital box, the price to rent a digital box is the same and analog box so there was no extra fees being charged. What package are you subscribed to?

liquidnw said:
WHile yeah it was probably CS in that they never made it clear to you the need to upgrade to a digital box, the price to rent a digital box is the same and analog box so there was no extra fees being charged. What package are you subscribed to?

Not only that but they just started with the bandwidth upgrade to convert all premiums to digital in the beginning of this year the first area was converted in the end of February

Cablevision Analog Box Charge

liquidnw said:

I am subscribed to Family Cable which includes Basic.

joev said:
I am subscribed to Family Cable which includes Basic.

In that case you most likeley didn't weren't missing any specific channels. YOu can verify by looking at the channel lineup for your area at cablevision.com. But for the most part all the family cable channels are in analog for family basic and below. I think maybe the Game show nework might be in digital only but other than that you weren't missing a channels from not being notified about getting a digital box.

Cablevision Analog Box

liquidnw said:
In that case you most likeley didn't weren't missing any specific channels. YOu can verify by looking at the channel lineup for your area at cablevision.com. But for the most part all the family cable channels are in analog for family basic and below. I think maybe the Game show nework might be in digital only but other than that you weren't missing a channels from not being notified about getting a digital box.

You are correct. What is upsetting is that I was never informed of not requiring the analog box and thus have been paying a monthly $5.00 rental fee for no net add for approximately 2 years.

joev said:
You are correct. What is upsetting is that I was never informed of not requiring the analog box and thus have been paying a monthly $5.00 rental fee for no net add for approximately 2 years.

Not to make you more upset, but if your tv was cable ready, you probably never needed the box for what you are subscribed to.

mkm4 said:
Not to make you more upset, but if your tv was cable ready, you probably never needed the box for what you are subscribed to.

Well he may have originally needed it to descramble a premium channel when they were analog.

kevlard1 said:
Well he may have originally needed it to descramble a premium channel when they were analog.

You're saying he failed to return it after the premium was turned off and if so, how long ago was that? If he failed to do so, then he can't be mad at them for his mistake.

Last edited:
Cablevision - Analog Box Charge

cablewithaview said:
You're saying he failed to return it after the premium was turned off and if so, how long ago was that? If he failed to do so, then he can't be mad at them for his mistake.

The point I am trying to make is that I was never informed that I no longer required the box. Had I been given an option to upgrade to a digital unit I wouldn't be upset. However, having my pocket fleeced does not set well with me. I am attaching a copy of the letter I received from the Cablevision Customer Service Department. Notice the sentence "Cablevision most certainly agrees in keeping the customer informed, and regrets that we fall short of this when receiving a letter such as yours. Also, she states although I may not give credit for your request for this misunderstanding. Wow, what a way to create good will with your customers. I guess when you are the only Cable show in town you can be arrogant. Cablevision had to have a project plan in place to do the digital upgrades thus it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when I no longer needed the box and credit my account. I am not done with this problem yet and will at the end of all of this have a refund or a credit in my hands. Please not the last paragraph of their response. I sure as heck am not going to deal with their Customer Service department again. My next letter will definitely get the attention of individuals who are in charge. Of course, then if I get the Dear JoeV letter I know they only care about their profitability and not the customer. Their response is below.

Attachments

• File0034.pdf
    738.1 KB · Views: 832
joev said:
The point I am trying to make is that I was never informed that I no longer required the box. Had I been given an option to upgrade to a digital unit I wouldn't be upset.

They did, check your past statements, it would be under important info. I can not tell you how many times I get people calling in stating they were never informed, I ask them to look at the past bills and sure enough 98% of the time its on one of the past bills stating that they would need a digital box in order to continue to recieve premium channels. Also Cablevision has no way of knowing what your using the box for, ie some people have a box so the can use it for parental controls others have boxes because their tv is not cable ready, etc.

cablewithaview said:

Actually, for us when the premium channels went digital and we were forced to get digital cable they told us that we could just throw the analog box away which we did and never had a problem with.

joev said:
The point I am trying to make is that I was never informed that I no longer required the box. Had I been given an option to upgrade to a digital unit I wouldn't be upset. However, having my pocket fleeced does not set well with me. I am attaching a copy of the letter I received from the Cablevision Customer Service Department. Notice the sentence "Cablevision most certainly agrees in keeping the customer informed, and regrets that we fall short of this when receiving a letter such as yours. Also, she states although I may not give credit for your request for this misunderstanding. Wow, what a way to create good will with your customers. I guess when you are the only Cable show in town you can be arrogant. Cablevision had to have a project plan in place to do the digital upgrades thus it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when I no longer needed the box and credit my account. I am not done with this problem yet and will at the end of all of this have a refund or a credit in my hands. Please not the last paragraph of their response. I sure as heck am not going to deal with their Customer Service department again. My next letter will definitely get the attention of individuals who are in charge. Of course, then if I get the Dear JoeV letter I know they only care about their profitability and not the customer. Their response is below.
The person who responded in the letter is talking about the digital cable box not the analog one. You should correct her and maybe then you will get somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts