[CABLEVISION] new external drive

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
i got an external drive for my 8300HD--was painless to do and it works great ,so far, after 1 day. increased space for a price yes by 150%$200 complete kit w/cables

That is a very cool feature...

(I spoke to rang19995)

(wonder if you buy 2 or three of these can they be unplugged and then plug the empty one? when you need to watch something on the one that is filled, will it reformat it or leave it intact?)

That is good to know.... This is a major advantage over the satellite DVRs. You could easily run out space but with this you could buy a few and have enough space.

Your SA 8300HD is it with TWC cable?????? Do you use the 8300HD sata link??? Do you have a web link so I can look at it.. Any info would be a great help....

he has Cablevision. He is going to post the link where he bought it from. He said that it is plug and play and that the DVR looks at it as one Hard Disk and it will use the one that has the most empty space.

Sean Mota said:
he has Cablevision. He is going to post the link where he bought it from. He said that it is plug and play and that the DVR looks at it as one Hard Disk and it will use the one that has the most empty space.
THANKS Sean!!!!!!

Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR eSATA External Drive Upgrade...

To answer the questions so far,

The SA 8300HD automatically records to whichever drive has the most free space. There is no control over this.

Yes multiple drives can be switched in and out with the 8300HD, however the 8300HD must be COMPLETELY power off to do this safely (otherwise disk corruption can occur). Since the set-top box can take 10-30minutes to fully boot, this is a cumbersome process and not really recommend. The content on an external drive ONLY works with that specific set-top. You can NOT move the external drive to a different set-top without losing the recorded programs.

We resell upgrade kits that are ready to go, fully tested and guranteed to be compatible. We used 7200RPM 8MB drives, unlike Maxtor, who use 5400RPM drives. Scientific Atlanta state that 7200RPM will be required in the future for the multi-room features.

The 8300HD uses about 8GB per hour of HD content, and about 1.78 GB per hour of SD content. See chart below:
Size : HD Time SD Time
160GB : 20 hours : 90 hours
250GB : 31 hours : 140 hours
400GB : 50 hours : 225 hours

We have 160GB $159.95, 250GB $199.95 and 400GB $379.95 kits in stock. eSATA Cable, external case, hard drive, power supply and cable are all included and fully built.

You can order from:
discountechnology_com (go to ProVideo section)
or call:
+1 214 550 1214

(the link posted by rang1995 is for our generic internal SATA drives, not the eSATA DVR drives).

Thanks for all your interest!

discountech

Hello: This is where i got my external drive--Very very nice guy and helpful--works fine,nice to have you here!
BoB

just got the hard drive and already installed. 50 hd hrs.... Yeah baby... + 24 hours of the DVR = 74 hrs of HD!!!!! Now I am happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts