Cablevision will hike cable rates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cforrest

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Long Island
Cablevision will hike cable rates -- Newsday.com

Cablevision will raise its cable television rates 4.7 percent on average next year, but will keep prices for high-speed Internet and Optimum Voice phone services the same for the fifth consecutive year, the company said Friday.

New prices will take effect in December and January, depending on the customer's location and billing cycle.

It happens every year and people get outraged.. So they not understand that every year the channel providers raise the rates comcast/cv etc etc have to pay? Gas prices have sky rocketed as well, the cost of business goes up so will your cable bill :)

Want to see a 2.75cent decrease in your bill each month? Tell ESPN to stop forcing providers to carry their channel on the basic package, and let only those who want the channel pay for it if they want that obscene rate..

It's amazing that they just keep on rasing our rates but we never really get what we ask. A lot of people ask for more HD channels and they gives us VOOM thats just about it and VOOM SUX!!!

Cablevision will hike cable rates -- Newsday.com

Cablevision will raise its cable television rates 4.7 percent on average next year, but will keep prices for high-speed Internet and Optimum Voice phone services the same for the fifth consecutive year, the company said Friday.

New prices will take effect in December and January, depending on the customer's location and billing cycle.

No surprise, here. Cablevision has added channels this year. Programming costs keep going up. All the cable/satellite customers will go through some rate hike soon.

The only way to counter this is speak with your dollars, cancel service and make sure they know why you canceled service. Also, demand that you have the option of ala carte pricing so you can pick and choose the channels you want not the channels they force you to have and pay for. If you continue to do nothing, they will continue to charge you more and more.

Ya Ala carte will only increase the cost to you... And Not only is Cable fighting it so is the Networks themselves, because a good portion of them will go bankrupt..

Let them go bankrupt and fail. I could care less. The quality programmers will rise to the top and the garbage channels will sink. It's a simple matter of supply and demand. To the contrary, your programming cost will go down because the programmers will be competing for your dollars. That's not the case right now and they know it. Who cares about paying higher costs for more channels few people watch but the programmers force providers to have in their carriage agreements.

Why do you say VOOM sux?:confused:
As compared to what? Just curious, as I like a couple of their travel channels [but certainly not that lame Ultra fashion channel - yikes!]

It's amazing that they just keep on rasing our rates but we never really get what we ask. A lot of people ask for more HD channels and they gives us VOOM thats just about it and VOOM SUX!!!

Why do you say VOOM sux?:confused:
As compared to what? Just curious, as I like a couple of their travel channels [but certainly not that lame Ultra fashion channel - yikes!]

I wouldn't say VOOM sucks...it's "something" to satisfy and new HDTV set, but VOOM is pretty boring.

My favorite channel WAS the Monster Channel but they repeat soooo much.

I got to watch HD Galactica reruns on UHD awhile back and am now craving the SciFi channel in HD.

The Channel 710 news channel is pretty lame...it more of a channel for pretty weather maps.

In regards to Cablevision's set rate increase...
I dropped my Gold package to the Silver and I cancelled HBO on Demand (a waste with a DVR)

I was considering a 2nd DVR but considering the $1.50 premium channel mirror fee and the extra DVR fee, that plan is canned. :(

I'm looking at DirecTV for potential cost savings, albeit it the conversion cost may cancel that idea.

They dont even carry BBC America! They keep hiking TV rates, but they haven't given us what we want! My cable bill is up to $146 a month, it is such a ripoff, nor can I afford it.

It is so surprising to see people ask for more yet not be willing to pay.

Have you realized that Voice and OOL have both gone up in features/speed yet no pricing change?

Do you know why? It is because CV does not have to pay expensive carriers like ESPN just for the opportunity to carry those services.

As network pricing and channel additions take place so will pricing because these carriers have to pay to broadcast.

Personally I am satisfied, if I can't afford it then I will downgrade.