Cabling Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

l!m!t

Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hello - Does anyone know if two coax cables are required from directs "DISH" to the receiver, for HD DVR ? I know with DISH Network they use a technology that only requires one cable.

If two cables are required does that mean technicians have to drill new holes in order to be able to receive HD DVR service?

What are the options to use a single cable for HD-DVR service and existing coax? Don't they offer something more versalite like Dish?

I like some of directs new promotions, but remember years ago they said I had to have holes drilled in order to accommodate a DVR.

Thanks for your time.

To use all the features of a DirecTV DVR you will need two cables from the dish to the receiver. You can use only one cable if you don't want to record two channels or watch one while recording another one at the same time. The DVR's have two tuners and each requires a cable run from the dish. The newer cable that DirecTV installers use have both cables in one housing so only one hole is needed It's really not that big of a deal to have it installed correctly so you can enjoy all the features of the DVR from day one.

There are two ways to get a SWM. The 'official' way is on a new installation where D* installs a new SWM Slimline dish, which has the SWM built into the LNB assembly. This is just now starting to roll out, see thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/134689-swm-lnb-rollout-starting.html for what cities this is happening in and what criteria is being used for who gets it.

The second way is to purchase your own SWM8 module, which is an outboard switch, and install it on your own. D* doesn't sell these to customers but a few vendors like Solid Signal | DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories and TiVo Superstore | High Capacity TiVo DVRs, Upgrades, Remotes, Parts & Repairs have them.

I purchased my own SWM8 and it works as advertised.

There are two ways to get a SWM. The 'official' way is on a new installation where D* installs a new SWM Slimline dish, which has the SWM built into the LNB assembly. This is just now starting to roll out, see thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/134689-swm-lnb-rollout-starting.html for what cities this is happening in and what criteria is being used for who gets it.

The second way is to purchase your own SWM8 module, which is an outboard switch, and install it on your own. D* doesn't sell these to customers but a few vendors like Solid Signal | DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories and TiVo Superstore | High Capacity TiVo DVRs, Upgrades, Remotes, Parts & Repairs have them.

I purchased my own SWM8 and it works as advertised.

Rad,
I was just looking at the SS link you posted and found the switches (SWM) they have 2 varieties, 1 comes with a POWER set up and one does not require power.
In what applications would you need the Powered one ?
Also, why doesn't it get it's power from the coax feed from the rec. ?
http://search.solidsignal.com/?q=SWM&site=com&new_search=1&I1.x=0&I1.y=0
Jimbo

:upMy SWM works great. Purchased and installed in Ft Lauderdale from independant installer. :eurekaGet your yellow pages out and make a few calls. Have in two rooms and one wire to each. Can add more rooms later if I need.:)

Does anyone know if Direct charges additional for a SWM installation?

From what I've seen they'll install a SWMSlimline dish/LNB if there are 5 or more tuners/cable runs needed for an install and if it meets that requirement then there is no charge since it saves them time/money on the install. The SWM8 module is not being installed in single family homes, just apartments/condos at the current time but if you want one you can pay for it on your own.

Status
Please reply by conversation.