Calibration charts dont lie, or do they?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I've been here. When I first started out, since Ive had no formal training (just school of hard knocks), my goal was just to make pretty charts. It wasn't until Gregg showed me on two displays I owned with broken CMS controls (Toshiba LCD and Mitsu DLP) that I realized a pretty chart does not mean a pretty picture. I'm glad he mentioned the forum posting here too, because I've been there as well. Go post an after calibration chart with a color triangle that looks wonky and everyone wants the head of the calibrator. What they don't realize, or care too, is that if the color decoder is fracked, you have to use your eyes and experience and ignore the chart. This is why you pay a pro, and why I only post charts that "look good". If I know a component is not working correctly and something unorthodox was done to make the image accurate, I just leave that chart in the bag. When I told people at AVS that Gregg finalized color on the Mitsu by "eye", they freaked out.

I'm really like these articles Michael is writing and will try and keep up with it more and post the good ones.

Link