Caller ID Issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redhot47fl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is weird, so please bear with me:

My HR20-700 is working fine in every way, except for the Caller ID, which has developed a major glitch that also seems to be infecting my DSL service.

This issue surfaced a few weeks ago, when the HR20's Caller ID began harvesting data only when the unit is off. I am not making that up.

The Caller ID list available through the HR20's menu shows all calls that came in when the the unit and TV were off. But when the HR20 and the TV are on and the phone rings...nothing (though Caller ID notification is turned on and the data is displayed on other devices in the house).

At the same time this developed, incoming calls began knocking out my BellSouth DSL service - only incoming calls (which suggests to me that both of these issues are related in some way to Caller ID and the HR20).

Any ideas, other than psychiatric care?

This is weird, so please bear with me:

My HR20-700 is working fine in every way, except for the Caller ID, which has developed a major glitch that also seems to be infecting my DSL service.

This issue surfaced a few weeks ago, when the HR20's Caller ID began harvesting data only when the unit is off. I am not making that up.

The Caller ID list available through the HR20's menu shows all calls that came in when the the unit and TV were off. But when the HR20 and the TV are on and the phone rings...nothing (though Caller ID notification is turned on and the data is displayed on other devices in the house).

At the same time this developed, incoming calls began knocking out my BellSouth DSL service - only incoming calls (which suggests to me that both of these issues are related in some way to Caller ID and the HR20).

Any ideas, other than psychiatric care?

redhot,
When did this start happening and is it still doing it today ?
Reason I ask, is because D* sent a new update in the datastream the night before last.

Jimbo

Jimbo, it started about three weeks ago. Really has me scratching my head.

I tried a series of things already, but I'll methodically disconnect phone lines one-by-one tomorrow and see if I can narrow this down. The really odd thing is the harvesting of calls when the HR20 is in sleep mode but not when it's awake.

Jimbo, it started about three weeks ago. Really has me scratching my head.

I tried a series of things already, but I'll methodically disconnect phone lines one-by-one tomorrow and see if I can narrow this down. The really odd thing is the harvesting of calls when the HR20 is in sleep mode but not when it's awake.
This is the first I have heard of this type of activity with the Caller Id

Jimbo

sounds like a bad DSL filter or one mis installed, the phone side of the dsl filter is the actual portion that is filtered, this is so that devices cant scream loud enough to interfear with the dsl signal (by loud enough im referring to frequency), if a filter went bad it is likely shorting into the line when an incoming calls voltage hops up. also if you have plugged in the dsl filter wrong (the hr20 on the modem side) it could theoreticly cause this as well.

I am pleased to tell you that the DSL filter theory appears to be correct, although with a flourish.

I post this partially in thanks and also to help others who may run into the same thing.

A full morning of troubleshooting plus the lucky ambush of a BellSouth/ATT tech who was working in the neighborhood yielded a thus-far positive result.

The culprit appears to be my recent upgrade from 3.0 to 6.0 dsl service. The tech says the additional...activity...on the line can cause the exact problems I experienced, at least from the DSL side.

Though all of my phone connections already were filtered (including the D* connection), the filters weren't quite up to handle the additional activity produced by the bump-up from 3.0 to 6.0. The tech says he runs into this all the time, though BellSouth does not advise customers of it on a routine basis.

The solution was a process the techs call 'home running.' It's beyond me, but the tech basically split the phone service as it enters the house and installed a special, full-house DSL filter at that point. Everything that comes out of it is filtered, except the signal to the DSL modem, and he re-split it just before it reached the modem. Or something.

You get the general idea. You don't need a second phone line (though it would make things easier); they somehow split the original incoming line at the point of entry to the house and filter it there. Now, other filters inside the house are redundant. Not harmful, but also not really needed.

The result: Incoming calls no longer interrupt my 6.0 DSL service. In addition, the HR20's Caller ID service seems to working again as if it's in the same dimension of space and time as the rest of us.

So, thanks to all, and I hope this information helps others down the road.

Those things are called POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) splitters. They allow a direct line for the DSL ( NID to Modem) line and a filter for the rest of the phone use.

Joe

Those things are called POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) splitters. They allow a direct line for the DSL ( NID to Modem) line and a filter for the rest of the phone use.

Joe

yup, bout 90% of business install use these as opposed to filters everywhere

Joe

No, those are not regular splitters.
They are specially designed to do exactly wha is mentioed here, the original line from the pole goes to the protector, then to the DSL filter (NI version), the dsl line connects to it, the other side of the NI filter handles the rest of the iw thru the house., this then allows the sub to no longer need the filters thruout the house, but I would save them just the same.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts