Caller ID on H20 not working after firmware upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The reason I haven't done that yet is because the two times I suggested it the tech on the other end of the phone argued with me that it was my phone company, not the H20. I did not have the time or energy to ask for his supervisor and start all over again. As soon as I have hours to waste on the issue I was going to do it. Do you have a foolproof suggestion for getting a replacement in less than 1 hour on the phone and being passed to various supervisors and support levels?

damaged said:
I don't get it, which is it, a poster above (an employee of D*) stated that the callerID function is not yet functional because of the firmware to fix the issue has not been released, how would replacing the receiver help any?

Simple. The feature works for 99.9% of H20 owners. What else is left?

Mine doesnt work either, i thought because either that Im using Vonage or that my phone line to the dish is via a wireless jack...oh well, thats what the 5 cordless phone around the house are for...

Simple.

Since Mr. 100144618 offered no support or documentation for his wild assertion, and since it works for 99.9% of all H20 owners, his claim is somewhat dubious and lacks credibility, at best.

Does anyone have any evidence at all, beyond the esteemed Mr. 100144618, that this is an unsupported feature on the H20? And if it is unsupported, why would it work on so many boxes?

billt1111 said:
Simple.

Since Mr. 100144618 offered no support or documentation for his wild assertion, and since it works for 99.9% of all H20 owners, his claim is somewhat dubious and lacks credibility, at best.

Does anyone have any evidence at all, beyond the esteemed Mr. 100144618, that this is an unsupported feature on the H20? And if it is unsupported, why would it work on so many boxes?

Thanks, that's all I wanted cleared up.

theslag said:
Mine doesnt work either, i thought because either that Im using Vonage or that my phone line to the dish is via a wireless jack...oh well, thats what the 5 cordless phone around the house are for...

Good point. I agree that it is more of an inconvenience than a deal killer for the H20. The PQ and OTA tuner are still awesome. However my other 4 D* receivers work fine and on those occasional times when the phone is not close by it would be nice if the feature worked.

What would be interesting, is to know what common factor is inherent in the ones that work as well as those of the ones that don't work, then maybe we coule have some idea (at least when you buy it yourself) what to look for (serial number, date of manufacture, etc). Or if it is random, which may point to shoddy parts in the mix, in which case, it'll be a crap shoot, and D* will have to play whack-a-mole replacing peoples 'defective' receivers until a solution is found, or they have all been replaced (which in turn will cost us more in the long run, as they will pass the cost of _that_ down to us eventually...*sigh*).

Last edited:
damaged said:
I don't get it, which is it, a defect or unsupported as a poster above (an employee of D*) stated that the callerID function is not yet functional because of the firmware to fix the issue has not been released, how would replacing the receiver help any? Do any of you guys' left hand know what the right hand is doing?

BTW, scottishknight stated he bought the unit directly from D*.

You never do get it Damaged, that's why you call yourself Damaged, I guess... RONTGLMAO....

damaged said:
Sure Bob, whatever makes you feel better about yourself. I guess this is also a reflection on how you treat your customers.

Na, just a few folks like you Damaged... LOL You're so pickable, and leave yourself so "Wide Open", and as you said, "Confused"... RONTGLMAO...

What color is the sky in your world Bob?

You made a quip about my nickname and 'damaged' being related to my behaviour, that's oh so very clever, how did you ever put those 2 things together? I am sure it took you weeks to come up with that, noones ever done that before, I for one am amazed.

I bow to your infinite cleverness. If your installation ability is like your wit, we'll all be watching cable TV.

Last edited:
billt1111 said:
The reason I haven't done that yet is because the two times I suggested it the tech on the other end of the phone argued with me that it was my phone company, not the H20. I did not have the time or energy to ask for his supervisor and start all over again. As soon as I have hours to waste on the issue I was going to do it. Do you have a foolproof suggestion for getting a replacement in less than 1 hour on the phone and being passed to various supervisors and support levels?

Hey Bill, I have spoken with a few fellow Techs and they tell me that your problem is somehow a fluke!!! I just installed the H20, in my home, and have not had any problems with the Caller ID function...

Have you resolved the problem yet???

No Caller ID on new H20

I unplugged my H20 overnight and the very first incoming call still displayed the message to "call the telephone company".

I started with a new H10 unit from D* last Novemebr and after having problems with it (although the Caller ID worked fine) D* sent me a "Remanufactured" H20 replacement unit. That unit was originally mfg, on 12/5/05 and by mid-Feb had made it all the way to the US from China, gone to a user, found to be defective, returned to D*, been fixed, and made it's way to me!!! That unit was never able to be authorised. D* gave me several different excuses why, and finally they just had an installer come out with a brand new H20. This new unit is the one that now doesn't have Caller ID working.

In the meantime, I have received two invoices from D* with different order numbers, one for $53 and one for $0. I sure will not pay for a replacement box.

Last edited:
scottishknight said:
I unplugged my H20 overnight and the very first incoming call still displayed the message to "call the telephone company".

I started with a new H10 unit from D* last Novemebr and after having problems with it (although the Caller ID worked fine) D* sent me a "Remanufactured" H20 replacement unit. That unit was originally mfg, on 12/5/05 and by mid-Feb had made it all the way to the US from China, gone to a user, found to be defective, returned to D*, been fixed, and made it's way to me!!! That unit was never able to be authorised. D* gave me several different excuses why, and finally they just had an installer come out with a brand new H20. This new unit is the one that now doesn't have Caller ID working.

In the meantime, I have received two invoices from D* with different order numbers, one for $53 and one for $0. I sure will not pay for a replacement box.

tell them you got billed twice , the $53.00 invoice is wrong and you sent them a check for the $0:D

Still no help

I tried unplugging the telephone line and it still doesn't work.

My best guess is that this another (the 3rd) receiver that doesn't work properly from D*.

And by the way, if the Tier 1 guy says that Caller ID is not set set up to work yet on the H20, then how come so many people say their H20 gets Caller ID now???? Sounds like just another excuse from the fine people at D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)