Caller ID on H20 not working after firmware upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Regarding the 0.001% of us who have the dreaded "caller ID" problem on the H20...

I finally got a spare hour to sit on the phone with tier 2 support and the HD department to resolve the issue. I finally convinced them that it works on most H20s and if they just send me another one it will probably work fine. I will get the new unit next week. We will see if that does the trick.

I also asked about the fact that my 4 receivers are listed as "not mirrored" when viewing "my system" online. The CS rep stated that on his screen they are definitely mirrored. He did not know what the access card level of 15 listed for all my receivers means, however.

One more thing, apparently they could not tell that I bought the unit from them!?! I had to tell them twice that it came with the 5LNB install they did 2 months ago. It seems to me that anyone who bought the unit at CC or BB, etc, could easily convince them that they actually purchased it from D*. They don't seem to know for sure either way. That might come in handy for someone in the future.

Last edited:
still having problems

billt1111 said:
Regarding the 0.001% of us who have the dreaded "caller ID" problem on the H20...

I finally got a spare hour to sit on the phone with tier 2 support and the HD department to resolve the issue. I finally convinced them that it works on most H20s and if they just send me another one it will probably work fine. I will get the new unit next week. We will see if that does the trick.

Iam now on my third H20 receiver and I still have no Caller ID. These have all been factory new units and not refurbished. I'm not convinced that this defect applies to only "0.001% of us".

What is weird is that with "notices" turned off, some of the calls are actually showing up in the call history. When I turn the notices on, I don't get anything at all.

D* should be ashamed for letting this known issue go on for so long and still send these defective receivers out for installation. What a bunch of jerks!

scottishknight said:
Iam now on my third H20 receiver and I still have no Caller ID. These have all been factory new units and not refurbished. I'm not convinced that this defect applies to only "0.001% of us".

What is weird is that with "notices" turned off, some of the calls are actually showing up in the call history. When I turn the notices on, I don't get anything at all.

D* should be ashamed for letting this known issue go on for so long and still send these defective receivers out for installation. What a bunch of jerks!

Well I certainly apologize for understating the percentage of failure, if that is the case. Perhaps it is slightly greater but it is hard to take a comprehensive poll of the entire population of H20 users in my spare time. My 'guesstimate' was derived from how few individuals complained about the problem in this forum and on AVS.

I do know this, caller ID did NOT work on both (100%) H20-600s I have installed. However caller ID did work just fine in all three (100%) H20-100s I have installed in the same house and phone jack. ;)

By the way, on the two H20-600s that caller ID did not work on occasionally would decode the caller ID tones and put it in the log.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to sound like I was critizing your estimate of the problem--sorry. I have no idea what percentage of users are experiencing this Caller ID problem. I only know that everyone I know who has an H20 has this same issue.

You did touch on one point: I have the H20-600 (made in China). I have heard elsewhere that the H20-100 doesn't have the Caller ID problem, but has other problems instead. Has that been your experience? Would it be worthwhile for me to change to the H20-100?

Thanks.

scottishknight said:
You did touch on one point: I have the H20-600 (made in China). I have heard elsewhere that the H20-100 doesn't have the Caller ID problem, but has other problems instead. Has that been your experience? Would it be worthwhile for me to change to the H20-100?

The 600 is made by LG. The 100 is made by Thomson. They are similar, but not the same boxes. I do not know of anyone who has the 100 with a caller ID problem. There may be someone but I am not aware of it.

There are a lot of similarities and a few differences, some are advantages and some are disadvantages.

The 100 has a faster menu and UI
The 100 runs cooler, about 5 to 10 degrees
The 100 tends to lock up less, probably because it is so much cooler
The 100 does not have the caller ID problem, to my knowledge
The 600 has SLIGHTLY better OTA sensitivity
The 100 allows for the deselecting of 480p as a resolution option
The 100 has blue LEDs
The 100 is SLIGHTLY larger than the 600. A few mm taller and deeper
The SD and HD PQ is similar between the two models, but some prefer the 600 IF it works. Most of them have heat related problems, or will sometime soon.

If you have a 600 and want a 100 just call and tell them you want a swap because of excessive heat and/or the caller ID problem. They should not refuse. If they do refuse, hang up, call back, and start over again.

There is a ton of information about the H20 in this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7642056#post7642056

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)