Camping and aiming with 9242

DCinBC

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Hi,

We are RVing and I have what I believe should be a clear shot through the trees, and some Star Choice users have been successful a few sites down. I am with Bell Expressvu. I am using the same old Dish Network dish that I had my old 5100 hooked up with and am wondering if the old dish will not work with the HD pvr ( I actually run 2 non HD tv's at home but they installed a different dish).

I am wondering if I should give up as there is the possibility I am cut off by mountains, Latitude: 49.0°N , Longitude: 121.0°W Magnetic Declination: -17.8°E using the calculator. Should I be using the Geographic Azimuth of 142.6° or the Magnetic Azimuth of 124.7° with my Perfect Vision Satellite finder?

Thanks,
Don

You should have no problem getting Bell TV at your location. Your old dish should work. One LNB should be pointed at 91W for SD and one LNB should be at 82W for HD. The seperation of 9 degrees for the two LNBs is the same as what Dish uses for 110W & 119W.

Thanks...I'm only running 1 LNB and wonder what my aim should be. All I get is Not locked - Name not acquired and signal strength 0 ... so far. I would take my chain saw out to better my path, but the RV Park may not appreciate that ;)

You may want to run "check switch" if your LNB setup is different than at home. The 9242 likes to have both tuners connected so I would run two cables from your LNB to your receiver if the LNB has two ports, if not just connect to tuner #1. If you have an HDTV I'd shoot for 82W if not you should go for 91W.

The dish I have has only 1 LNB. Is this a problem? I have a cheap cable splitter, should I split the cable feed so I have two going into it, even if it is the same feed? I just find it odd I get nothing. When I run Checkswitch it says I have found less satellites and do I want to save this?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Do not split the cable, just run the single cable to tuner #1. It should say you have less satellites because you now only have one LNB, it is ok to save it. When you get back home run check switch again so it recognizes your setup at home.

Last edited:
I was not able to get a signal, and when home tried with my RV dish with no luck. The 9242 did not like just 1 LNB and became quite hot. I would like to do things properly, I have my old bell dish (it is @ 1 year old and one LNB but has an expansion slot it for another LNB. What is recommended in order to fully use my 9242 in a second site (not wanting to touch any of my home equipment.

Thanks,
DC

Just buy the same Bell LNB on ebay. Make sure it has two output ports.

For the switches you can use two SW21's, or one SW42. Attached are some examples copied from hugh & Q. You can buy the switches on ebay as well. Just use the same "check switch" each time you change locations. I think the expansion port you are talking about is really a second output port which you will need to get both tuners working. For the lines on the 3rd attachment just replace 110W with 82W & 119W with 91W.

Attachments

• SW21.JPG
    SW21.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 307
  • SW21-2.JPG
    SW21-2.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 604
  • sw42.jpg
    sw42.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,712
  • Bell LNB.jpg
    Bell LNB.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
welcome to bellingham/san juan islands!

welcome to washington state. always use the 124 degree azimuth because of magnetic variation. you should invest in a dish 1000.2 dish pro because it can catch 91/82 on 1 dish and outputs 2 sats into 1 coaxial cable thanks to dishpro.
Address: lynnwood, washington
Latitude: 47.8212°
Longitude: -122.3150°
Satellite: 91.0W Galaxy 17 | Nimiq 1, 2
Elevation: 27.3°
Azimuth (true): 140.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 123.3 :angel:

Reconnecting PVR

With slight embarrassment, I am having difficulty reconnecting my 9242 at home. The joys of having a teenager helping disconnect before labeling connections. Either my connections are wrong, or trees have grown in one week, or someone has moved my dish slightly. I have low signal strength and lose channels at times. After 30 minutes with a friendly CSA in London Ontario, I was transferred to a technical "expert" who seemed far away, liked to use the phrase "thats wonderful", and started with unplugging everything, despite my input. When I run Check switch, I get an error message where Sat 1 input Port #2 Sat 82 the transponder is X's. Status Reception ERROR. Switch: SWAJ. I have attached pictures of the error message and the equipment I have.

Thanks,
DC

Attachments

• Check switch error.jpg
    Check switch error.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 504
  • Switch?.jpg
    Switch?.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 355
  • Power Inserter.jpg
    Power Inserter.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Ok, Power inserter in Port 1, Diplexer between Port 2 and wall, Check Switch reads OK, in all 4 boxes and strength good. Still no reception in 2nd TV. I know that the installer had trouble with 2nd TV, as we needed to use a VCR for a Tuner ... set to Ch 22 and I believe air. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

It turns out I was missing 1 cable. I connected it from the back of the PVR, the home distribution output, and connected it to the UHF/VHF input on the HOLLAND STVC Satellite Diplexer Signal Combiner and Splitter and presto....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)