can all ku sats be picked up with primestar?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
i have been moving my dish manually. a 40 inch primestar dish, i have learned where most sats are by just looking at the dish, but i just cant seem to find sats like amc 15, nimiq sats,t6, the satmex sats,or the sbs sats, do these require a bigger dish or am i not aiming right? i am using my signal meter outside and when i get the signal i go in and check it out. and g25 must be a huge sat because when i hit it on my meter i can move the dish a good 10 inches or so and still be right on the sat. also the skew doesnt seem to have effect on the sats, i hit g3 and turn the skew a good bit and still the same. any of you ever have problems getting these sats. i see that amc 15 and sbs sats are great ones to get. thanks.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
You should be able to get those with a 40x30 Primestar. You only need a 76cm dish

AMC15 doesnt have much on it free (its Dish's satellite they use)

Nimiq you need a DBS LNB since they are DBS :)

Satmex is tough here in the Northern states but shuld be fine everywhere else

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
i lowered the dish, playing around with it since i dont have it concreted in. it stays level and the pole will rotate around with the dish. kinda cool. i have hit a couple of signals far west, maybe around 180 or so, but get nothing on the scan.i even hit a signal when i elevated the dish. i was going for g3 and went up about a foot higher than the sat and my meter hit the max. i didnt check the scan on that one. maybe i was getting some other signal. i have heard about uhf signals interfering with these little sat finders meters. until i get a 500 dollar meter i will have to stick to my poor mans meter. it comes in handy for a 10 dollar meter.

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
i have been moving my dish manually. a 40 inch primestar dish, i have learned where most sats are by just looking at the dish, but i just cant seem to find sats like amc 15, nimiq sats,t6, the satmex sats,or the sbs sats, do these require a bigger dish or am i not aiming right? i am using my signal meter outside and when i get the signal i go in and check it out. and g25 must be a huge sat because when i hit it on my meter i can move the dish a good 10 inches or so and still be right on the sat. also the skew doesnt seem to have effect on the sats, i hit g3 and turn the skew a good bit and still the same. any of you ever have problems getting these sats. i see that amc 15 and sbs sats are great ones to get. thanks.

The P* dish will receive all linear polarized Ku birds. The problem with using a little satellite meter is there broadbanded (look at a large frequency spectrum at once) You could be picking up a sidelobe from a strong adjacent satellite or even thermal noise. The quality meter in a digital receiver is so much better when descriminating between a good signal and bad. This could be what's happening. The best tool would be a spectrum analyzer we all wish we had one but there very expensive. Maybe some year Santa will leave one under my tree:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts