Can Anyone Explain (locals)

bama350z

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Can anyone offer me a real explanation as to why my HD locals have a LOT of issues. The recording is crap, or the station comes and goes with the infamous we know about this problem message. I have zero problems with any of my HD channels except for the locals. It might be one channel one day and another the next. I truly can't remember a time when I would have said these stations are reliable on any constant basis. I am in the Birmingham, AL. market if that helps as far as offering some insight. The problems are not such that customer service can offer any permanent solutions. I have reset and rebooted just five times short of a million. I am not the most knowledgeable about the inner workings of sattelite systems but I am reasonably tech savy (enough to be frustrated with all of the BS from customer service). Anyway, I wanted to vent a little and see if anyone at all had a real idea of what the problem may be. When it comes to these types of issues I don't know if customer service could be any worse.

I assume you are talking about HD locals on your satellite and not OTA HD locals. Have you checked the signal strength for the transponder your locals are on? Birmingham is on transponder 9 on the 61.5 satellite. To check the signal strength, go Menu 6-1-1 and select the 61.5 satellite if it isn't already in the satellite column and then select transponder number 9 in the transponder column. The message usually pops up when there is insufficient signal strength. Your dish could need a little tweaking, your LNB may be wonky, or you are near the edge of the spotbeam. Do you get the channels OTA so you can make sure they are actually transmitting and not having problems at the station? I know one of the stations has been reported to have some problems but I don't remember which.

I will check to see what that looks like today. The OTA HD locals are great. I wasn't thinking it could be hardware due to the fact no other HD channels have issues only the locals. I will report back on what the signal looks like.

Ok, I looked at this and it has a 75 signal strength but it's red, screaming at me, and says wrong sat - echostar 119 west.

I was going to assure you that the St. Louis market has local issues that are coming from the broadcasters and there are likely similar issues around the country...until your last post. Your signal needs work.

I did the same procedure using 119 and 9 and it hovers around 59-60 signal strength. I don't know if I am on the wrong sat or what. If anyone can advise what I can say to a CSR that will make sense to them and get this resolved that would be most awesome.

Here is another strange piece of the puzzle. When I get an error stating the satellite has lost the signal and it is looking if I press the guide button it comes back on immediately. I close the guide and a few minutes later gone again. Press the guide button and it's back (you get the picture (no pun intended). As long as I leave it in the guide (windowed display) it stays. When I record shows and this is going on it doesn't seem to lose any of the program although I am typically losing my hour long recording at about 30 minutes (the show just stops and says over). As I said before everything about the locals is just screwy.

I am experiencing the same issues. It has been going on for almost a year. I have emailed dishquality about it and they are looking into it. They want to know if I know anyone that is have the same issues. Send them an email and let them know that you are having the same issues too.

Can you send me a copy of the email you sent? I just need to figure out how to word this so that they understand what I am talking about. Are you using a 622, just curious if that might be a factor. I don't think it is but I don't know enough to be sure.

Yes, I have a 622. I will send you a copy of the email privately. I will copy it here later for the forum to see if it's ok with the moderators.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts