Can brokers order PPV?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I spoke with my broker concerning the PPV credit I received from *C.

She said that she could not order PPV over the phone; I would have to be connected to a Canadian phone line for that.

My question is.....Is this true?? I know Dish Network will put a PPV on if you call in; they might charge the transaction fee.

I think you can order over the web also. Of course, you need your account info for that which I suppose brokers do not give out. That is the nice thing about having a friend with a Canadian address.....no broker required.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Unfortunately you cannot order BEV PPV on the web - or if you can, no one has ever been able to find it :)
I have, it's pretty simple actually.

goto: www.expressvu.com
Select "Pay per view" from the left side of the screen
Select " Online Program Guide"
This will send you to http://www.bell.ca/shop/PrsShpTvNew_IPG.page
Select the movie you want, then enter your phone number and 4-digit PIN and you're all set.

I believe miguelaqui was talking about StarChoice not BEV.

My suggestion is get rid of the broker, get yourself a Vonage Canadian line and do the sub yourself. Then you can call anytime for PPV's, and have the receiver connected all the time.

I used to work with Freeway (terrible customer service and RUDE CSRs, supposedly after Jim Woods' passing they have made an attempt to improve) and told them to take a hike. Then I used a relative's Canadian address and called in on my Vonage. You won't believe how pleasant and helpul SC CSRs are!

Now I'm in control of the sub, not some broker.

Derwin0 said:
I have, it's pretty simple actually.

goto: www.expressvu.com
Select "Pay per view" from the left side of the screen
Select " Online Program Guide"
This will send you to http://www.bell.ca/shop/PrsShpTvNew_IPG.page
Select the movie you want, then enter your phone number and 4-digit PIN and you're all set.

I am sorry - once again, I screwed up by not making myself clear.

I was speaking of the HD PPV in the 800s.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I am sorry - once again, I screwed up by not making myself clear.

I was speaking of the HD PPV in the 800s.
Again, real easy.
In the "Skip to Channel #" box, enter 830 (Where the HD PPV) begin, and select "Go"
This will skip you straight to the HD PPV movies. Select the movie, then enter your phone number and PIN, and you're set.

The web is fine if you KNOW the phone number and pin.

One of the brokers had promised a way to order ppv on THEIR web site
way back last April. I think it was CanAmSatellites. But nothing ever came of it.

Phil

philhu said:
True, but some of us have an address in Canada we can use, and therefor have that informations.
For those with brokers, they are SOL. Brokers don't want to give those numbers out, because then the people can take charge of the accounts and make any changes via the website without paying a $20 (or whatever) fee to the broker for doing it for them.

Derwin0 said:
Again, real easy.
In the "Skip to Channel #" box, enter 830 (Where the HD PPV) begin, and select "Go"
This will skip you straight to the HD PPV movies. Select the movie, then enter your phone number and PIN, and you're set.

wow!

thanks!

learn new tricks everyday!!!

philhu said:

One of the brokers had promised a way to order ppv on THEIR web site
way back last April. I think it was CanAmSatellites. But nothing ever came of it.

Phil
Actually, YES CANAM DOES OFFER PPV. You have to purchase a redailer and pay an extra $5/month.

Couldn't you in theory buy a redialer on your own and use that with say BEV to have PPV. As well use the system that allows you to suscribe to channels through the receiver?

Semi eliminating the broker.

Not sure how much the redialers are or what kinda info you need to set it up though.

Probably cheaper to get Vonage with a Canadian number in the long run, and switching over to Vonage altogether, with a US secondary (alternate) number.

Monthly rate: $25/unlimited calls, $15/500 min in US/Can. Secondary number: $4.95/mo

I have satellite internet until the fall when my contract ends and then I can switch to the new wireless service here, so Vonage would be a no go till then.

Suppose I could just wait till Oct.

miguelaqui said:
I spoke with my broker concerning the PPV credit I received from *C.

She said that she could not order PPV over the phone; I would have to be connected to a Canadian phone line for that.

My question is.....Is this true?? I know Dish Network will put a PPV on if you call in; they might charge the transaction fee.

No you DO NOT HAVE TO BE CONNECTED TO A PHONE LINE TO GET *C PPV. I live in the us and call *c via phone to get the ppv.
you or your broker can activate the ppv without a phone line, you get a four digit security code from *c, ( you make up the number) you call the *C PPV NUMBER
listed on channel 200 ie 1866-782-7778.
the prompts go like this--- welcome to starchoice ppv for service in english press one-- for regular movies press one for adult movies press two---if you are calling from your home telephone press one--
if you are calling from any other location press two ( you press two
because you are not calling from the phone number ( probably fake)
the broker gave *C. Enter the telephone number the broker gave *C ( the broker needs to tell you what number he/she gave *C.)
Enter the channel of the movie you want to purchase ( enter channel number) All start times are in eastern standard time. For ( name of movie) at 2pm press one. For (name of movie) at at 4pm press two, and so on. ( with this phone system) you get charged one dollar, if you talk to a rep, you pay two dollars.
I have been doing this for over a year, i just purchased a 505 and I was not going to let the 10 free ppv movies go like I did when I the broker first activated the receivers.
*c has a policy of letting its cutomers use the receivers in us, as long as have a canadian address and phone number, you could have a second home in the us or be on holiday.

Last edited:
I have BEV through a broker. What would happen if i just hit yes when i clicked on a ppv movie. When the screen asks,Do you want to purchase event? I hit yes. What do you think would happen?

bgilga said:
I have BEV through a broker. What would happen if i just hit yes when i clicked on a ppv movie. When the screen asks,Do you want to purchase event? I hit yes. What do you think would happen?
There is a limit to how many can be on the reciever at one time, not sure what it is, but when you hit that it'll force you to call it in, and shut down until you do.
I've had a single movie on my 5100 for a year (bought on ebay and had a movie still on it) and it still hasn't forced a call home, but you never know. I'll probably take it up to Canada with me this summer and clear it then.

Last edited:
bgilga said:

If you plug in a phone line (very temporarily) and there are no record of PPV movies stored in your reciever, you can select a movie (and disconnect the phone). I believe you can watch 4 or 5 HD movies before you get a message telling you that you can't order anymore. The smart card is the memory for the list of PPV movies that have been ordered. A year or so back when I got a new card, I got some new movies!

Dish antenna

BEV dish pointing/different skews

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts