Can Dish dual OTA adapter be used with other devices or services for TV?

hscottm

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I cancelled dish, and still have one. Can it be used by itself for anything else, ie without a hopper? Didnt know if it was using some generic USB video standard/etc.

Looks like the airTV type things have their own tuners built in.

Otherwise, its on eBay!

It’s for Dish, it can’t be used for anything else.
If it is the newer Lark model, then it can be used with an AirTV device. If the dual-tuner one specifically for an AirTV will work with a Hopper, then I see no reason why the Dish one would not work going the other way. The internal components are the same, it is just the case that is different.

Reactions: CyberSpock
If it is the newer Lark model, then it can be used with an AirTV device. If the dual-tuner one specifically for an AirTV will work with a Hopper, then I see no reason why the Dish one would not work going the other way. The internal components are the same, it is just the case that is different.

Confused - I thought the AirTVs (like AirTV2) had built in antenna? the coax jack makes it look like you just need to plug your antenna wire in..

btw the one I have is slightly older than the all black, dish-branded ones I see people have now. So it seems like this one is really only for Dish receivers..

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 515
Pictures? I'm wondering which one I have.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

oh and I have this on eBay now - dont want to post a direct link but would love for it to go to a good home.

"Used Dish OTA Dual Tuner USB adapter" - and look for that photo.

The one pictured in post number 4 is the older Hauppauge model. The newer Lark model would be a little larger than that, with an attached USB cable instead of a detachable one.
This is the one I have and it may coincidently be the hot one everyone refers to. It is hot for me and I cool it with a PC fan.

I'm not convinced it's useless outside Dish since they still advertise one for sale as compatible with Xbox. It might work under the Microsoft environment. Simply plugging it into a pc USB to see if it finds a driver would tell. Finding compatible software is another story.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
All good - I had one of the lark models (sealed) that I sold on eBay last week - ditched dish so have all this extra gear now.

Will likely switch to something like AirTV, just wasnt sure whether having one of these would make anything cheaper - seems like it wouldn't with the current generation of AirTV hardware which has them built in.

Thanks all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)