Can Free Preview channels be received on regular (legal) FTA receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2014
USA
I only ask this because someone I know asked me this, and I wasn't sure. His situation is that he finally "cut the cord" and dropped Dish, but was surprised to find that even though his subscription was cancelled, his Dish receiver could still receive a very few channels that are (I assume) in "free preview" status. He asked me if a standard FTA receiver, or an FTA tuner card such as the type used with TVHeadend (made by TBS, etc.) could receive these free channels, since he will need to send his receiver back to Dish in a few days. I'm assuming that if a standard receiver (that has NOT been hacked for piracy purposes) can receive these channels then it is legal to watch them, and I know he's not attempting to do anything illegal, he'd just be interested in occasionally seeing a free preview channel when one is available, if it's possible to do so legally.

My first thought was that an FTA receiver probably could receive them as long as you had one of the older Dish LNB's that feed the signal directly to the receiver, without expecting to go through a switch of some kind, and also assuming you could figure out which satellite has the preview channel. But then I realized that even though the previews are free, they might still be encrypted, and that maybe only real Dish receivers can actually view them. I don't know which is the case, so I thought I'd better ask before I give incorrect information!

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by asking about this. I see there are a couple of threads on this subject that are very old (probably from the analog era) so I'm hoping for current information. If I had a pizza pan dish hooked up here I'd just try it and see what happens, but I don't so I can't.

I think they are still encrypted, but then the provider authorizes you to watch them when its free preview time. I know of maybe 2 ITC channels FTA on DISH, but better left for the "Whats up there" section.
There was once a thread in the Whats up there section about ITC DBS channels.
Don't think there is much up there now.

Here is the latest scan with channel info that I know about:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3691318/
(pretty much unchanged since last year)

If its in the clear, you are not breaking the law, but lets keep it to ourselves in the special section.

Last edited:
Nice secret link you have there Fred. Oh, my, hidden things here.:shh
"SatelliteGuys.US - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Nice secret link you have there Fred. Oh, my, hidden things here.:shh
"SatelliteGuys.US - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Yep, super secret link. You must apply for admittance, and give a DNA sample.
Under your profile, click on Join user groups, then Join FTA Finds Forum Access.
I think you have to mail in the DNA sample. In about a week the Satguys Private Investigators will come to your house then hopefully finalize your access. Good Luck!

Well,......That DNA sample is what blows it then. They would find out I am really from the planet Zorko here on a study of people on this planet.:rolleyes: Have to admit, a very interesting bunch of people. I like the ones on Satguys and do not like the ones that have their carts sideways in the isles in the grocery store.....:biggrin

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
But I see you are a Pub Member, no DNA sample required. Your secret will be safe.

The free preview channels are never ITC, unless by accident.

They used to have NASA ITC full-time, but haven't for years.

Years ago they had HDNet and HDNet Movies ITC for a long time. :) I was able to add a few titles to my collection. But when they got the piracy thing under control they policed up open channels and they became few a far between. And now they are converting all the DVB channels to turbo 8PSK format, so you need a receiver that can handle that. Since FTA doesn't use it there is no need to build a box for the occasional open DBS channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts