can i add a new swm lnb to my old 18- by 24-inch Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wease59

Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
florida
I have the old style 18- by 24-inch Dish with the side-car lnbs for the ku bands.It's a AT9 dish.
Can i replace the old lnb with a new swm lnb to add the extra receivers.Will the shape of the old dish work to get all the sats?
Thanks

I am sure if you could get it in there, it would work, but not to optimal performance.

If you want to go SWM, I would get a whole dish set up.

However, I wonder what equipment you have if you have an old style dish like that and if they are all SWM compatible.
Also, if all you are trying to do is ad another receiver, why do you feel the need to go SWM?

My house has 3 hd dvr's with the wiring built into the house.One of the dvr's has 2 cables to it but the other 2 only have 1.I want to be able to add the second tuners to them so i need the swm.I wanted to change the lnb as it is cheaper than adding the swm switch if possible.

Certainly a swm switch would be more expensive (and to be honest, I don't know how well they work with the side car dish).

That being said, you will need a slimline dish to hold a swm LNB but that should not be too much more.

The SWM multiswitch (SWM8) works fine with the AT9 dish. There are several listed in the $50 range on eBay. Still, a Slimline dish with SWM LNB would be a better choice. Have you asked Directv what they would charge to swap out your dish?

The AT9 is more like 25 x 30 in.

The new LNB's work like crap on the AT9. This dish has a different shape than the Slimline. 101, 103, and 99 can get decent signals although not as good as the Slimline. The 119 and 110 suck on the AT9.

On a side note you can use the SWM8 switch. You will never get the receivers to pass IV as the AT9 just will not get good enough signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)