Can I buy used receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bruno187

Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I got Dish about a year ago and the free receivers that came with it, but now I put a TV in another bedroom that I want Dish on. I tried the website and the receivers seem to be overpriced. I mean they give them to you for free when you first sign up. So can I just buy someone's used receiver and call Dish Network to activate it?
Alternatively, I think I do have a HD receiver that the installer hooked up originally, but it stopped working a few days after we got it so he brought a new one. He was supposed to pick up the old one but he didn't. He said it wouldn't work because it had been activated at someone's house and they decided they didn't want HD (they wanted the DVR). He said that he wasn't able to reactivate it on our account so he had to bring a new one.

Is it somehow possible to have Dish Network activate the extra HD receiver on my account? Can I buy a receiver from someone off the internet and have it activated on my account?

Buying off the internet has it's problems. When you find a receiver you are interested in get the R00 & S00 numbers from the seller. Call DISH Network and see if there is any outstanding balance owed on those numbers. If there is you will have to pay it before DISH will activate it. If there is any unreported pay per views on the system it can be activated but when it reports in you will be billed for them even if you didn't order them. Lastly most of DISH's new customers are leasing the equipment from DISH so you need to ask the CSR if the R00 & S00 belong to a leased unit which cannot be purchased.

<<So can I just buy someone's used receiver and call Dish Network to activate it?>>

You sure can, but you should check to make sure that receiver does not have any balance on it (bill due leftover). Also the receiver has to be removed from previous owner account. The previous owner simply call dishnetwork to have it remove from his account. I brought a receiver off Ebay and saved about 80 bucks full retail price.. But no warranty so that is the bad part of buying used, but I took a chance to save buck or two. I also had to buy DP 34 switch.. Of course brough it off Ebay.. and saved money also..

What about ReplayTV?

How do I know which receivers will work with ReplayTV? Is there a decent HD or non HD cheap receiver that will work with ReplayTV? The one they used to give away for HD wouldn't work because they took the IR receiver out.

What about leasing?

I don't care about owning the box, is there a way to lease another receiver through Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts