Can I connect 2 TV's to a Solo ViP 211k ?

Fairway Fatty

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Va
I have 2 TV's in 2 separate rooms connected to one DIRECTV H20-100 Receiver.
The rooms are back to back and receiver connection is in a shared closet to both rooms.
One is connected via the HDMI output the other via the component video output.
They both watch the same channel.

I am considering switching to DISH.

Can I connect 2 TV's to a Solo ViP 211k in this same manner?
(Someone told me that if the HDMI is connected on this receiver the Component Video is disabled and vice versa.

Thanks, FF

YES . You have component and hdmi ouputs on the 211k just like the other hd DISH receivers. IN my house my family room and computer room/home office are back to back. I have a hole drilled through the wall and I use a Monoprice hdmi splitter for both tvs using my hopper. Didn't cost more than $35.00 I think I paid and it saved me the $7.00 joey fee I was paying.

Short answer: yes.

The 211K has HDMI, Component, composite, and coaxial outputs, and all are active simultaneously. Now, the newer 211Z lacks the coaxial out (please correct me if that is not true).

Another issue might be control. The 211 series does not have UHF remote capabilities. You would need to add some sort of UHF to infrared conversion. Does the H20 have a UHF remote?

Thanks Mike - I was not aware of the HDMI splitters - I will look into that. Do you use one remote for both rooms?
FF

DNS - I was using an Infrared converter for remote (dont recall the brand). My wife changed the battery's and mistakenly thru the "transmitter battery cell" away thinking it was a battery!

All of my DIRECTV receivers are outdated. One went bad and they cannot send me a replacement as they are no longer available and they said in order to upgrade my receivers I needed to do a 2 year contract (I currently do not have a contract).

I downloaded the DIRECTV HD and HD DVR receiver manuals and they clearly state that if you use one output the other is disabled.

Still looking at my options at this point.
Thanks. FF

The vip211z has HDMI and a composite output (yellow) not to be confused with component (red blue green) which is HD
dish-211z-receiver-back.jpg

Do you use one remote for both rooms?

You can get a uhf pro upgrade kit, I got mine at Claude's store for like 30 bucks a couple of years ago. he is no longer a dish retailer but may still have one.

If not solid signal has them, there are other remote extenders on the market as well, but the dish branded one works real good

Dish Network ES123804 UHF to IR Upgrade Kit Includes Remote (ES137682)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001269BW4/?tag=satell01-20

Last edited:
Thanks Mike - I was not aware of the HDMI splitters - I will look into that. Do you use one remote for both rooms?
FF

Actually, I have two RF remote controls linked to my hopper, so they can work in either room. Both tvs are Toshiba hdtvs so the remote controls can work on either tv. Without a uhf remote control or Rf remote control for the hopper receiver, you end up with only being able to use the remote control on the main tv, where the receiver is located.

DNS - I was using an Infrared converter for remote (dont recall the brand). My wife changed the battery's and mistakenly thru the "transmitter battery cell" away thinking it was a battery!

All of my DIRECTV receivers are outdated. One went bad and they cannot send me a replacement as they are no longer available and they said in order to upgrade my receivers I needed to do a 2 year contract (I currently do not have a contract).

I downloaded the DIRECTV HD and HD DVR receiver manuals and they clearly state that if you use one output the other is disabled.

Still looking at my options at this point.
Thanks. FF
From the rechargeable battery try NEXTGEN. Search ebay for the model remote you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)