Can I Extra Local Channels with that?

SoMDStargazer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern Maryland
Hi Guys,

I just signed up for Dish Network and they will be out to install on this weekend. I am so exited to finally give Comcast the drop kick! :cool:

I have a quick question or two: Doing the sign up the site listed my zip code as Washington DC/Hagerstown MD region. I know this means I will get local tv stations in this area but is it possible to also get tv stations from other areas such as Virginia or maybe even areas futher away from me? I'd love to be able to watch news in Seattle or Hawaii and other places as I'm a bit of a news junkie. I know WGN in Chicago is usally included but was hoping for other areas as well.

Also in the international packages, specifically the Asian Pacific package, does anyone know if there are any Japanese stations included in that?

Thanks for any help with my questions.

No you cannot get out of market locals from wherever you choose. you can sign up for the superstations (WSBK in Boston, WWOR and WPIX in NY, KTAL in LA, and KWGN in Denver and under some circumstances you can sign up for distant network stations through a third party company (All America Direct) but the selection is limited. Do a search on "moving" and you will find a lot of threads on how that program works and what stations are available.

BTW the version of WGN is not identical to the WGN in Chicago but it does have most of the local news broadcasts.

TVJapan is available fora n extra charge but I believe you would need acces to the 61.5 location.

Thanks for the quick response. BTW I'm still learning about the Dish Network system and have heard referrals to the locations. Just what does that mean: 61.5 location?

Thanks again.

Location of the satellite in longitude at the equator. The primary Dish Network satellites are in two separate arcs. The eastern arc is comprised of three satellites located at 61.5W, 72.7W, and 77W. The western arc is comprised of three satellites located at 110W, 119W, and 129W.

one variable here is what installation you have. If you what is referred to as an Eastern arc Dish that can see three separte locations you should be Ok in terms of receivign TV Japan. But we would need to know what locatons you can see to tell you.

The best advice is to call DISH and ask. Certainly after activation they will know the details of your receivers, dishes and switches.

Your local stations (& TVJapan) are on 61.5. They will set you up to include that satellite, almost certainly as part of EA. But if there are line of sight issues, you may get two dishes, one for 61.5 & one for 110 & 119 (like I have).

No you cannot get out of market locals from wherever you choose. you can sign up for the superstations (WSBK in Boston, WWOR and WPIX in NY, KTAL in LA, and KWGN in Denver and under some circumstances you can sign up for distant network stations through a third party company (All America Direct) but the selection is limited.

Just want to correct a Typo KTAL is in Shreveport, LA (Louisiana) and is not in HD. I'm sure he meant KTLA which is in LA (Los Angeles)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)