Can i get an am21 ota module for free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I better or I cancel! I got one free five years ago.
I signed up yesterday with direct and the installer comes in a few hours. Talked to Direct and the woman of course interrogated me about why I wanted to get ota reception and i told her that when dish gets hit with snow, I get no reception. Dish will have to be mounted high on house to clear trees and I can't reach it when it snows. She then went on to tell me that I can't get cable channels ota so it won't help me. I told her I want ota, Direct gave me a free ota module five years ago. SHe said that I can get all locals fine off of sat and if I want to get ota reception, I will have to go to the store to buy an antenna. Again, I reminded her that I have an antenna- a great big wonderful antenna complete with cable feed going right up the tv. I really don't give a rats ass about how "easy" it is to wipe the snow off as last time we had direct, dish was mounted on side of house and we had storms where I'd have to go out every 30 minutes to broom off %@^%@* snow.
I said that I already have an antenna, I want the module. She said that can be obtain from the installer or online. I said that i don't want to pay for it, shouldn't have to pay for it, DISH will give it for free.
Maddening stuff! So, the way it ended was that I should wait for the installer and see if he has one. I am pretty sure (and I told her this too) that he will say he doesn't have one, that I don't need one but if I want one, it can be ordered for $50.
So, if that is the outcome, I will send him off his merry way. I really hate when I spending $$$ and Direct is telling me what I need and don't need.

First off, take a deep breath! :)
It's unlikely that the installer will have an AM21 on his truck, so don't expect it. What happened to the one you got previously? You do know you can get the ota stations with the tuner in your tv, yes? Occasionally Directv will give you one at no charge, but it doesn't happen very often. If you are really so dissatisfied with Directv, perhaps you should move on.

First off, take a deep breath! :)
It's unlikely that the installer will have an AM21 on his truck, so don't expect it. What happened to the one you got previously? You do know you can get the ota stations with the tuner in your tv, yes? Occasionally Directv will give you one at no charge, but it doesn't happen very often. If you are really so dissatisfied with Directv, perhaps you should move on.
I left direct tv maybe 5 years ago, whatever module I had was sent with the dvr when I mailed it back. Yes, I am quite aware that my set has a tuner in it. However, it can't record! You say I should move on, but I haven't even gotten service yet!

Sorry, I missed that you are trying to sign up again. Either way, my advice remains the same. Good luck!

I wonder where he lives. It sounds kind of strange that he had to wipe the snow off every 30 minutes. I live in a snow belt and we get tons of snow, my dish is on the roof, and in 13 years, I've never once had a reception problem that required me to wipe snow off the dish.

I signed up yesterday with direct and the installer comes in a few hours. Talked to Direct and the woman of course interrogated me about why I wanted to get ota reception and i told her that when dish gets hit with snow, I get no reception. Dish will have to be mounted high on house to clear trees and I can't reach it when it snows. She then went on to tell me that I can't get cable channels ota so it won't help me. I told her I want ota, Direct gave me a free ota module five years ago. SHe said that I can get all locals fine off of sat and if I want to get ota reception, I will have to go to the store to buy an antenna. Again, I reminded her that I have an antenna- a great big wonderful antenna complete with cable feed going right up the tv. I really don't give a rats ass about how "easy" it is to wipe the snow off as last time we had direct, dish was mounted on side of house and we had storms where I'd have to go out every 30 minutes to broom off %@^%@* snow.
I said that I already have an antenna, I want the module. She said that can be obtain from the installer or online. I said that i don't want to pay for it, shouldn't have to pay for it, DISH will give it for free.
Maddening stuff! So, the way it ended was that I should wait for the installer and see if he has one. I am pretty sure (and I told her this too) that he will say he doesn't have one, that I don't need one but if I want one, it can be ordered for $50.
So, if that is the outcome, I will send him off his merry way. I really hate when I spending $$$ and Direct is telling me what I need and don't need.

Good luck with your "Free AM21 ...."

I upgraded 2 HR20's to HR24's and they refused to give me any AM21's, even though I need the AM21 to get the same ability that I had BEFORE I Upgraded.
Remember, the HR20's had OTA tuners in them.

So it cost me an addl. $ 100 to upgrade that I think D* should have covered, but they didn't.

dsclark said:

Might as well stick with dish or your cable provider. I highly doubt you will get one for free. I've NEVER seem Directv give one away for free. I have an HSP account and I'm even required to pay for one

I got one for free recently, an AM21N.

Sweet talked Retention into it during the carriage dispute with Tribune Co. and its resulting temporary loss of local channel KTLA 5.
And being with DIRECTV for 17 straight years certainly didn't hurt. :)

I wonder where he lives. It sounds kind of strange that he had to wipe the snow off every 30 minutes. I live in a snow belt and we get tons of snow, my dish is on the roof, and in 13 years, I've never once had a reception problem that required me to wipe snow off the dish.

I live near Lake Tahoe. We don't get light fluffy snow like some get, we get water rich, heavy snow- we call it "Sierra Cement". It also can come with 50mph+ winds.

Installer came, I asked about am21, he said he never heard of it, so I showed him a pic of it. He called warehouse and they said they had a couple, but they were $99, that covered module and install (install?). I called direct again, got the same screechy indian woman I had this morning and finally, the best I got out of her was her acknowledging that she had no idea what the am21 was. She wanted to repeat my order and I told her to stop, I know what was on it. She would say "You got choice extra... it have the following channels..... your box- it is hr24, it is HD..I didn't call to find out what I ordered, I called because I wanted an am21. I really don't think that is too much to ask as they can use existing cable which will save money in labor and copper. She also told me several times to check my email to complete the rebate. Rebate? I told her that I was not going to do any rebate until I was actually hooked up! I got connected to another rep, one that sounded american at least, he looked up the am21 and recited what it was. He referred me to technical where I got someone with a thick indian accent that said "We don't do that". I asked what he meant and he repeated "We don't do that". He told me to contact my installer. I told him that the installer was right here and sent me to direct csr.
Called to cancel, that was a 20 minute ordeal with someone else that was unintellgible.He told me that I can have the am21 for $99 (why so much? it is available for $50 elsewhere) and I should think of all the money I am saving by signing up with directv.
Finally got my cancellation number, bye bye Directv! Never had such a runaround with anyone before service.

dsclark said:
I live near Lake Tahoe. We don't get light fluffy snow like some get, we get water rich, heavy snow- we call it "Sierra Cement". It also can come with 50mph+ winds.

Installer came, I asked about am21, he said he never heard of it, so I showed him a pic of it. He called warehouse and they said they had a couple, but they were $99, that covered module and install (install?). I called direct again, got the same screechy indian woman I had this morning and finally, the best I got out of her was her acknowledging that she had no idea what the am21 was. She wanted to repeat my order and I told her to stop, I know what was on it. She would say "You got choice extra... it have the following channels..... your box- it is hr24, it is HD..I didn't call to find out what I ordered, I called because I wanted an am21. I really don't think that is too much to ask as they can use existing cable which will save money in labor and copper. She also told me several times to check my email to complete the rebate. Rebate? I told her that I was not going to do any rebate until I was actually hooked up! I got connected to another rep, one that sounded american at least, he looked up the am21 and recited what it was. He referred me to technical where I got someone with a thick indian accent that said "We don't do that". I asked what he meant and he repeated "We don't do that". He told me to contact my installer. I told him that the installer was right here and sent me to direct csr.
Called to cancel, that was a 20 minute ordeal with someone else that was unintellgible.He told me that I can have the am21 for $99 (why so much? it is available for $50 elsewhere) and I should think of all the money I am saving by signing up with directv.
Finally got my cancellation number, bye bye Directv! Never had such a runaround with anyone before service.

Well your "HR24" was a lie. They don't tell you what box you're getting. They have no idea unless its a TiVo or an HR34. As for concealing because you didn't want to spend $50 at the dish store or solid signal is kind of silly isn't it?

As for concealing because you didn't want to spend $50 at the dish store or solid signal is kind of silly isn't it?

Tell me, what have you done so far this summer? I started the summer by seeing the Scorpions perform, spent five days in Las Vegas , three in a suite at the MGM, two days in San Dimas (went to the water park), saw the Dodgers play the White Sox (seats behind home plate), then flew to Kailoa Kona, HI, spent five days in Hilo, saw the glowing caldera at the volcano park, spent 5 days at a condo overlooking the beach in Kailoa, went to the top of Mauna Kea to see the most beautiful sunset in the world, just got back two days ago. Next week,I will go to Seattle, go on a seven day cruise to Alaska. By this time two weeks from now, I'll have visited brew pubs in Las Vegas, Kailoa Kona HI, Juneau, AK, Skagway AK and the Seattle Brew Fest. This fall, I plan on doing a 1500 mile trip on my 2011 Concours 14, stopping off at the beer festival in Denver. For Christmas, probably do another princess cruise to the carribean (I usually go on a cruise during December and one or two during summer time.
Now, I am not a wealthy person, but I am wise with my money and $50 wasted here, $50 wasted there and it all adds up. While i have plenty of assets, it is the principle of the thing, that I should not have to pay for something that is often given away, something that is an accessory for something that I'll never be able to own. You can disagree all you want, I'll be enjoying the scenary of Tracy Fjord in two weeks...

Tell me, what have you done so far this summer? I started the summer by seeing the Scorpions perform, spent five days in Las Vegas , three in a suite at the MGM, two days in San Dimas (went to the water park), saw the Dodgers play the White Sox (seats behind home plate), then flew to Kailoa Kona, HI, spent five days in Hilo, saw the glowing caldera at the volcano park, spent 5 days at a condo overlooking the beach in Kailoa, went to the top of Mauna Kea to see the most beautiful sunset in the world, just got back two days ago. Next week,I will go to Seattle, go on a seven day cruise to Alaska. By this time two weeks from now, I'll have visited brew pubs in Las Vegas, Kailoa Kona HI, Juneau, AK, Skagway AK and the Seattle Brew Fest. This fall, I plan on doing a 1500 mile trip on my 2011 Concours 14, stopping off at the beer festival in Denver. For Christmas, probably do another princess cruise to the carribean (I usually go on a cruise during December and one or two during summer time.
Now, I am not a wealthy person, but I am wise with my money and $50 wasted here, $50 wasted there and it all adds up. While i have plenty of assets, it is the principle of the thing, that I should not have to pay for something that is often given away, something that is an accessory for something that I'll never be able to own. You can disagree all you want, I'll be enjoying the scenary of Tracy Fjord in two weeks...
and then??????

I guess you want a cookie then? :rolleyes:

As to what I have done so far this summer? I've been looking for a job since I am unemployed...hmmm maybe Directv should give me a AM21 too.....no wait. I BOUGHT mine for $50 from there

dsclark said:

I actually went to Hawaii returned to work for 2 weeks then spent another week in the gulf :D as for not wanting to spend money on something is understandable but it is not normally given out for free. Seems to me you are acting like you're entitled to it. This is just MY opinion and I could be wrong but this is just what I'm feeling from the paragraph I just read.

Well your "HR24" was a lie. They don't tell you what box you're getting. They have no idea unless its a TiVo or an HR34. As for concealing because you didn't want to spend $50 at the dish store or solid signal is kind of silly isn't it?

Highly doubt he talked with the same CSR twice in the same day as well.

Ya right....
Maybe not now after you spent all your money and you want a free item from D* that NO ONE gets for free, but thats OK, your entitled or you'll LEAVE D*.

Go ahead, you can get out of a commitment too, you've got the money ... oh wait, you want that for free too. :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts