Can I get 'C' Band with my set-up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

giovanni1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have read before in some posts where people have had luck on some 'C' Band channels with smaller dishes.

I realize that I would need the proper LNB, but is it just a matter of placing it next to my existing LNB? I am not sure if that may be too much weight for the motor.

This is what I have out there right now. If I can get any 'C' band with it buy installing the proper LNB somehow, please let me know. I am interested!

39" Digiwave dish with an Invacom QPH-031 on an SG2100 motor
Coolsat 5000 receiver. (do I need a different receiver?)

I am in southern Ontario, just south of Toronto.

ps....If I can get anything, what LNB do I need?

Here's a quick list of what you might expect to see on a dish that size:
- satellite list for 1m dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...mestar-mini-bud-experiment-7.html#post1509116

The C2 is an inexpensive LNBF to work with.
I wouldn't really recommend the dual band models.
They cost more and don't generally do well on KU on that size dish, from all the published reports.

Then, you should consider a conical scalar for use on a offset dish.
It matches the F/D better than the flat scalar that comes with the LNBF.
Sadoun and WSI (Galaxy Marketing) both sell them..

Back to the short list a the top of the page . . .
I'd really suggest you work with a 1.2m dish or larger, if you are serious.
Linuxman's efforts suggest a 1m dish is more of a proof of concept toy, but that is just my opinion. :)

Anole pretty much nailed it.

I've got a offset 1.2m dish with the conical scalar and I'd consider it only hobby grade for C-band. The 1.2m dish is too small for the c-band satellite spacing, adjacent satellite interference is a pain. You almost have to de-tune the ASI in order to get the desired bird.
At this latitude, I have to keep a plastic bag over the scalar even when aimed at 99w, or it collects rain/snow enough to spoil the LNB.
All that being said, I can lock the Caribbean MUX on 99w at 50-60%Q on the Pansat 9200 most of the time. It seems quite weather sensitive, a rain shower will put it out.
It's a fun toy, but don't expect terrific (or consistent)results.
A prime focus six footer would be the minimum I would recommend to someons who wanted to watch TV, If you just want to see what you can get, the 1.2m is fun to play with.

Regards, Eric

I get about 14 useable channels and a lot of christian channels with my primestar 84e c-band! That ain't bad for the cost of a bsc421 and a conical scaler (total $50)

a round dish will probably do better!

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 250
I get about 14 useable channels and a lot of christian channels with my primestar 84e c-band! That ain't bad for the cost of a bsc421 and a conical scaler (total $50)

a round dish will probably do better!

14 channels.....What exactly are you looking at? By that I mean, what stations?
The LNB and the scaler that you mention...will that work with a Coolsat?

Some C Band

On a 90 cm offset I get 58W NHK
G3C horse and dog races
G16 Carib. stations, Afternoon westerns on LeSea
STO and the Sportsmans channel.
Coolsat6000P

I get:

3 CWs on 91ºw
5 global digital media feeds on (daytime talk show feeds) 99ºw
5 major affiliates from the virgin islands,ABC, NBC,CBS,CW, etc, 99ºw
1 This channel L.A. 99ºw
1 Saskatchewan Communications Network (like PBS) 111ºw

I'm limited between 89º and 111º with my C-band 10º off center.

others come and go because of weak pick up.

Coolsat what?

It helps to have an Azbox that seems to decode everything! :D

Hey Putney, Are you able to get anything off NSS 806 (40.5W) with your setup? I was thinking of putting together an 84e/C band non-motorized for this one sat.

C Band Heartland USA

giovanni1

Those located in the central portion of USA are in the prime footprint for most C band. Where you are a 1.2m dish might work for some.

BSC421 is popular, Galaxy also sales comparable.

Thanks guys for all your posts!!

So if I am reading everyone correctly, I have a good chance with a 1m dish, with a BSC421 (and conical scaler) to receive "some" 'C' band signals.

Do you think I am good by somehow just placing the BSC421 next to my Invacom? Not sure what this will do for signal.

Will I need to set my motor to certain positions in order to allow for the offset difference that the BSC421 will be from the Invacom?

Thanks guys for all your posts!!

So if I am reading everyone correctly, I have a good chance with a 1m dish, with a BSC421 (and conical scaler) to receive "some" 'C' band signals.

Do you think I am good by somehow just placing the BSC421 next to my Invacom? Not sure what this will do for signal.

Will I need to set my motor to certain positions in order to allow for the offset difference that the BSC421 will be from the Invacom?

The scaler will put you about 8º off center, if I remember correctly. I put mine 10º off and do well enough between 89ºw and 111ºw. Things go to hell quickly after that. I found it best to keep the standard LNB centered (instead of bsc421) if you hope to have RTN on 83ºw ku.

The scaler will put you about 8º off center, if I remember correctly. I put mine 10º off and do well enough between 89ºw and 111ºw. Things go to hell quickly after that. I found it best to keep the standard LNB centered (instead of bsc421) if you hope to have RTN on 83ºw ku.

Giovanni1-

You'll find C band a little more forgiving on dish setup then Ku.
Putney has a good setup to follow.

So even with the BSC421 off centre (beside the Invacom), if I want to go to 97W and try to receive some (if any) 'C' Band channels, I will still drive the motor to 97W?

So even with the BSC421 off centre (beside the Invacom), if I want to go to 97W and try to receive some (if any) 'C' Band channels, I will still drive the motor to 97W?

To receive a satellite signal on an offset LNBF, you will need to calculate how many degrees off of center the 2nd LNBF is located, then drive the motor to that position.

To simplify operation, you could edit all of your C-band satellites to reflect the corrected offset. For example: if the dish must be pointed to 90W to receive G19 located at 97W, set and save the G19 C-band satellite position to 90W in your receiver. When G-19 C-band is chosen, the receiver will drive the dish to the corrected position to receive the satellite from the offset LNBF.

Forgive me but.......

Is there an easy way that I can tell how far off centre the 'C' band LNB is?
Or, how do I calculate?

I'm sure there's a mathematical way to calculate, but I just used DiSEqC to find the offset LNB's. In my case 10º worked out well so that 91ºw/C is located in the same position as 101ºw/Ku, etc.

Once you figure the offset, you can set up 'dummy' C sats (example: 101ºw_ 91 CBand Galaxy 17) and use USALS.
If it was 8º the 'dummy would be ( 99ºw_ 91 CBand Galaxy 17)
Of course it depends on what side center you are on.

Forgive me but.......

Is there an easy way that I can tell how far off centre the 'C' band LNB is?
Or, how do I calculate?

Giovanni1

I tape a protractor to the center of the dish and use a string to show me what offset I have. You'll want to aim the side mounted lnbf at the center of the dish and measure out to see that you are at the same focal distance to start. Fine tune and your watching some C band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)