Can I get local FL stations in NC?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dan1520

Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Florida
I'm scheduled to have Direct TV installed this week but have a question. I am in North Carolina for the summer and live in Florida the other 8 months. I was told by someone from FL who has Direct TV that when they bring their equipment to NC, they are still able to receive their local FL TV stations while in NC. This ability was a deciding factor for me to get Direct TV since I'm not interested in the local stations in NC. I spoke to Direct TV and the person who took the order said it could be done. however, when I spoke to someone else, they said it couldn't be done.

I sure would like an honest answer and I felt you guys on this forum are tech savy enough to give me one.

Thanks

Dan

Yours is a nebulous question. Which Florida market and where in North Carolina? Are you referring to hd or sd channels? You may get the Jacksonville channels in parts of NC, but that may be about it.

I need the TV stations in Tampa, FL HD. I am on Beech Mountain ZIP 28604.

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. The hd signals barely reach SC, much less to NC. You might get the sd signals.

I can get HD via Direct TV. Other subscribers hee have it. That's not the issue. Also an update. I spoke to Direct TV and they now say if I set up the system in FL with the local stations and bring the equipment to NC, I WILL get the FL stations. It all has to do with where the original system was installed.

Sound right??

For the Florida locals, the problem is with the beam itself. It is narrowly focused on Florida, and not North Carolina. Think of a Spotlight that has been focused only on a single performer on a stage. Not enough light to sufficiently illuminate the rest of the performers adequately.

Last edited:
I can get HD via Direct TV. Other subscribers hee have it. That's not the issue. Also an update. I spoke to Direct TV and they now say if I set up the system in FL with the local stations and bring the equipment to NC, I WILL get the FL stations. It all has to do with where the original system was installed.

Sound right??

No, it's not right. Like Mauiguy said, the signals are like a flashlight beam. The signals simply don't reach as far north as NC.

looking at a chart Tampa HD is on 103s TP20

Atlanta HD is ALSO on 103s TP20 which is a different spotbeam. Also Baltimore is on same transponder.

Each one is a different spotbeam so no way it would work

Now Tampa SD is on 101 TP20. The Sd spotbeams go much further than HD does so it may work on SD....but not HD for sure

The satmaps show the hd signals barely making it to southern NC. I doubt they would even make it to the Winston-Salem area.

I can live with the Tampa stations in SD as long as I get them. The reason I'm interested is I ran into someone here in Nc who also lives in FL and he claims to receive the local FL stations here in NC. He brought the equipment up from FL. I'll start asking more people if they are also in the same situation & see what happens.

I can live with the Tampa stations in SD as long as I get them. The reason I'm interested is I ran into someone here in Nc who also lives in FL and he claims to receive the local FL stations here in NC. He brought the equipment up from FL. I'll start asking more people if they are also in the same situation & see what happens.
Which market in Florida is he getting locals from?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts