Can I get Showtime on W5?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thats what I was afraid of. I see on Lyngsat that its still in the HITS MUX so I wonder what the issue is.

Mike Kohl said that they may be able to get it back. So wait and see. I have Showtime free right now for 3 months with DirecTv. IMHO it has to be the worst movie service out there. There is never anything worth watching on it that I like. Sure is not the Showtime I had back in the heyday of the bud.

Have you tried Netflix? My son has it and there are a lot of movies, and tv shows on it, all on demand, pretty new movies, and it costs $9.00 a month.
We are going on vacation tomorrow, just as soon as I get home I am going to sign up for their free month and make sure it is a good as it looks. With this and RedBox it amazes me that there are any movie channels left on anything for subscription, the prices they charge, and what little you receive.
Terry

Ya I have Netflix and love it. The new season of Weeds starts in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to catch it.

way off topic:

Some of the self-produced shows on Showtime and HBO, are... quirky... to say the least.

One of my several friends with the Netflix streaming service, just upgraded his slow DSL to 2X (or maybe 3X) faster cable modem.
Now, he gets an even higher quality picture from Netflix for the same price.

He also dumped his $30/month phone bill, in favor of $3/mo Skype VoIP service.
It operates much like Vonage, which is $25/mo.
After some careful research, he found a converter box for around $40..50 which plugs directly into his router, and hooks to any standard POTS telephone.
He's got a 3-handset wireless system, so it covers his whole house.

The alternative would be Magic Jack, but that needs a USB port on a computer.
Running a spare computer 24/7, costs way more in energy than the above solution.

In the end, he got a Linksys box that even included the router (for about $60).

When I replace either my TV or BluRay, I'll get one that is Netflix capable and will do streaming then. But, I've heard rumblings about companies like Comcast wanting to charge for Netflix streaming over their network.

> But, I've heard rumblings about companies like Comcast wanting to charge for Netflix streaming over their network.

Thats what the the whole fight about network neutrality is about.

Its a complex issue, lets look at the internet. The first question we must ask is this;

What is the internet? The answer is simply a group of private network connections that agree to have peering between each other.

Every thing is / was fine and dandy until the Internet Service Provider came into the equation. Traditionally (Since the 1990's) the ISP provided internet access to the public in exchange for a fee. Some of these ISP's had there own backbones and others bought their access from other providers.

The deal was simply transit. I agree to take your packets from point A to point B for a fee. The person that was providing the content I wanted was the content provider and they agreed to pay for transit (To their ISP) to their destination (In this case you) for a fee.

This all worked fine and well until video and telephony services began emerging, then all of a sudden the ISP's see a chance to change the rules after the game was all ready started. They (The ISP's - Now mostly telephone and cable companies) realized that with alternative services like Netflix and Vontage that they are they are loosing money from other services that they traditionally sold to the public and begin to ask for more money from the end users.

In summation, a content provider such as Netflix pays for an ISP to connect them to the "INTERNET", and the end user wanting to watch the content that Netflix provides pays their ISP a fee. Both sides are already getting paid and as far as I am concerned if you as the ISP don't like the rules you can damned well unplug your router and let someone else in the industry who has a clue do it for you.

This is why Network Neutrality is important.

more OT:

When I replace either my TV or BluRay, I'll get one that is Netflix capable and will do streaming then.
But, I've heard rumblings about companies like Comcast wanting to charge for Netflix streaming over their network.
Just talking to a guy now on IRC.
He's got Qwest DSL.
Pays for 8mbits download, but gets about 5.5mbits.
If he sustains d/l throughput of even 2 megabits for a while, they cut him back to 1 megabit throughput.
That would screw your HD movie experience.

So, more power to satellite reception. - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)