Can I get some help with my Whole Home DVR set up, please?!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SKYYdiver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Austin, TX
Okay, I sure hope some you smart people here can give me hand.
I've had the Whole Home DVR for a while now. However, I was using AT&T in the beginning, and after much frustration with them, I decided to switch back, after many years, to Road Runner.
In doing so, the modem & router were moved to the living room from the master bedroom where it had been.
Because of this, I moved the Whole Home DVR components out there as well. Here in lies the problem. While I THOUGHT I had moved it, connection for connection, carefully, I've got no response from it.
Can anyone explain to me, like I'm 5 years old :), just how I should have this set up? I figure the best way, is just to start from scratch and go from there.I called DirecTV, but even with the monthly coverage I have, they want the 49.99 to come redo it. It really seems I can do this myself......with a little help.;)
This worked perfectly for months, I KNOW it can work again! lol
Can anybody help?

Here's what I have for the set up:

SWM Slimline dish
(1) HR24-200 DVR in the living room (where all the pieces to set up are now)
(2) HR23-600 ( 1 in each of the 2 bedrooms)
(1) DECA broadband adapter
(1) DECA box (the white one)
(1) Power Inserter

I have this, for the Road Runner Turbo connection:

(1) Cisco 2100 Cable Modem
(1) Netgear wireless router

Also, FYI, there is a single co-ax cable into the apartment from the dish to the splitter, with 3 separate cables then connecting to the 3 receivers.
Much thanks in advance!!!

Ideally the DECA (the one that connects to your router, if you have more than one) should be connected to its own coaxial line coming off the main 4-way splitter. Was it originally connected this way or did it split off one of the lines going to a receiver? If it was split, you have to note which port on the splitter you are connecting to. There is a red line connecting the input to one of the outputs. The receiver gets connected to the port with the red line, and the broadband adapter gets connected to the other port. Also important to note is the orientation of the broadband adapter if it is the white DECA (the black ones only have one port). The side with the little coax 'tail' attached (marked 'to receiver') goes to the power inserter, the other end (marked 'towards LNB') goes to the splitter.

Also, what do the lights on the broadband adapter do? They should be all green

Here's what the layout should look like.
deca-diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I've got it right.
Here's the setup I have right now. Sorry is it's a little crude.
I need to know where the ethernet cables go from the DECA broadband adapter, and/or the "connected home adapter" (the white box)
Also, all the lights on the broadband adapter are on, but, the "connected home adapter has none of the 3 lights on.

IMG.jpg

First of all take the wire coming into 21v power supply and put the two way splitter there put a jumper on the two way splitter from the power passing port to the 21v power supply labeled to power swm then have a wire from the other side of the two way splitter to the deca bb (the one with three green lights) have a erthenet cable from the deca bb to the router, take the deca the white out of the h24 (h24 have internal deca built in) test the connection and u should have it

Stop what you are doing. If your diagram is correct you have the power going to the wrong port on the splitter. All the power should be connected ONLY to the terminals with the red insert. Look carefully at the picture supplied and you can see a red terminal in the upper left-hand corner. (Study the picture in the earlier post very carefully.) Second, remove the white DECA from your HR24. It is unnecessary. Finally, "reboot" the whole system. (Unplug the power supply, and each of the receivers. Plug in the power supply and wait 30 seconds. Plug in one receiver and let it come up completely. Do that for each of the remaining receivers in turn.)

First of all take the wire coming into 21v power supply and put the two way splitter there put a jumper on the two way splitter from the power passing port to the 21v power supply labeled to power swm then have a wire from the other side of the two way splitter to the deca bb (the one with three green lights) have a erthenet cable from the deca bb to the router, take the deca the white out of the h24 (h24 have internal deca built in) test the connection and u should have it

Read this, it'll make you more understandable.
874715.jpg

Thanks for the response. I'm still not sure I've got it right.
Here's the setup I have right now. Sorry is it's a little crude.
I need to know where the ethernet cables go from the DECA broadband adapter, and/or the "connected home adapter" (the white box)
Also, all the lights on the broadband adapter are on, but, the "connected home adapter has none of the 3 lights on.
View attachment 66906

As Bob said, the first thing you need to do is get the power injector on the right port. Power is only supposed to go to red ports (the red line shows the "DC Pass" path). Technically you shouldn't have video at all on any box the way it's hooked up. The HR23 hooked to port 1 must be carrying the whole system.

The 'Connected Home Adapters' belong connected to each of your HR23's. The little tail connects to SAT 1 IN on the HR23, and the ethernet port on the CHA connects to the ethernet port on the HR23. The HR24 does have this adapter built in, so all it should have connected to it is coax (nothing connected to its ethernet port either).

The 'DECA Broadband Adapter' appears to be connected correctly. Its ethernet port connects to a port on your router.

As Bob said, the first thing you need to do is get the power injector on the right port. Power is only supposed to go to red ports (the red line shows the "DC Pass" path). Technically you shouldn't have video at all on any box the way it's hooked up. The HR23 hooked to port 1 must be carrying the whole system.

The 'Connected Home Adapters' belong connected to each of your HR23's. The little tail connects to SAT 1 IN on the HR23, and the ethernet port on the CHA connects to the ethernet port on the HR23. The HR24 does have this adapter built in, so all it should have connected to it is coax (nothing connected to its ethernet port either).

The 'DECA Broadband Adapter' appears to be connected correctly. Its ethernet port connects to a port on your router.

Okay, sorry if this sounds dumb, but, I only have 1 of the CHAs. Do I need another to connect with the 2nd HR23?
And as far as the red port, that's how the tech had it connected, I hadn't changed that. However, now that I'm thinking about it, I guess it made sense before, because the HR23 in the bedroom is what this whole system WAS connected to. I didn't think to change that when I brought it all out to the living room with the HR24. So that, I'll definitely change.
I really appreciate the east to understand explanation, too!
Hopefully, as soon as I get home today, I can get this resolved!
Thanks again, everybody. If I still have issues, I'll be back looking for more help! :)

ABSOLUTE SUCCESS!!
Thanks to everybody!
I just needed to move the CHA from the dvr to the other receiver, and switch the 2 coax cables on the splitter, did a hard reset on all 3 receivers, and VIOLA!!
Thanks again for all the help, I really, really appreciate it!
Awesome!!

No problem! Glad you got it going! As far as the other HR23 needing a CHA, it needs one in order to participate in the Whole Home DVR pool. Right now, the one without it has its own recording list, and the HR24 and the HR23 with the CHA share a second list. If you add a CHA to the other HR23, then the contents of all three DVRs will show up in a single list and will be watchable from any HD box. You don't even have to order it from Directv, you can get them on fleabay for about $20. You'll install it just like the other one, tail to SAT1 IN, and ethernet port to the port on the HR23..

To be honest, I don't understand why the installer skipped putting one on there because it was required when you ordered the WHDVR. But if it's been a while since install it's probably not worth wrangling with Directv over it.

No problem! Glad you got it going! As far as the other HR23 needing a CHA, it needs one in order to participate in the Whole Home DVR pool. Right now, the one without it has its own recording list, and the HR24 and the HR23 with the CHA share a second list. If you add a CHA to the other HR23, then the contents of all three DVRs will show up in a single list and will be watchable from any HD box. You don't even have to order it from Directv, you can get them on fleabay for about $20. You'll install it just like the other one, tail to SAT1 IN, and ethernet port to the port on the HR23..

To be honest, I don't understand why the installer skipped putting one on there because it was required when you ordered the WHDVR. But if it's been a while since install it's probably not worth wrangling with Directv over it.

This, was just a situation of me not checking thoroughly enough. The 1 HR23 is in my son's room, where I rarely venture :) ,did, in fact, have the CHA already connected.
So now everything is shared and working correctly. A big ol' thanks again!
The only minor issue I see right now, is that the 2 HR23's have the tv apps up and running, while the HR24 keeps saying it's still initializing. I suppose though, that will come around shortly. I'm not too concerned about it.
Everything else is good, so, so am I! :D

SKYYdiver,
Glad to hear it all worked for you. Just to clarify a point so that you understand what is going on, with SWM technology (which is what you have in your setup) all the "internet" communication is carried over the coax cables. So, you only need one Cinema Connection box that inserts the external internet on to the DirecTV coax line. The reason you need to put those white DECA boxes on the lines for all but the H24/HR24 boxes is that those white boxes take the internet signal off the coax and put it in the back of the receivers. The H24/HR24s have an internal DECA so they do not need the white box to make it work. The reason you needed to "reboot" is that you are reestablishing the internet connections between the SWM switch (or SWM LNB) and the individual receivers. (Just like you have to do a similar procedure with your home internet router connections.) Also, you need to be sure to never remove those "extra" silver terminators on the splitter. They are crucial to making the communications on the coax work.

Now you know way more than you wanted to know about your DirecTV network and saved $49 in the process. That is a great day!
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts