Can I put my KU band LNB on my 10ft dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I currently have an 80cm dish with a universal KU band lnb. I'm just about ready to install my 10 foot dish for C-band. I have an extra universal KU band lnb. Can I attach this to the C-band feed horn and pick up KU band signals from my BUD? My dish meets the requirements for KU band (a pencil cannot pass through the holes).

A regular KU dish KU LNBF will not work on a large dish like a ten footer, do not mislead a C/KU LNBF to a KU dish LNBF. On the mesh dish, focal point play a major part of satellite reception. A KU dish focal point is under 22 inches and this is far less distant then the mesh dish can accepted.

SKS,

I didn't mean to confuse the two. Many people here have done just that (added offset Ku LNBF) and I agree with you that it isn't the best solution.

Here are a couple threads where people discussed cutting the scaler ring to add an offset LNBF:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=47635&highlight=adding+ku

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=35122&highlight=scaler+ring

Of course the better way to do C/Ku is to go with a C/KU feedhorn, or a C/Ku combined LNBF. I went for the C/Ku feedhorn.

ku lnbf on prime focus

I put an offset ku lnbf on my 7.5' foot prime focus dish. I know it is not really designed for a prime focus dish but it does work great. I drilled a hole in the back of my c-band lnbf and used liquid steel putty to adhere the ku lnbf's feedhorn into place. I made sure the horizontal and vertical probes were aligned between the lnbfs so i would have accurate skew adjustments for both c and ku band.

It works well, i am sure its a compromise since i am not an engineer but it works well for me, strong signal quality percentages on all sats c and ku bands.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)