Can I replace DTV receiver with DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pnwoods

Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Hi!
I just got DTV in May and have lines in four rooms with three regular receivers and one DVR. Would it be possible for me to simply purchase a DTV DVR on ebay and replace one of the receivers with it? I've found I'd like to have another DVR in the house. If it's workable, which DTV DVRs would work with my system? I don't care about HD, I don't have any HD tvs. Thanks for any help.
Paul

It would have to be an older model DVR, like a Tivo model since most of those were owned. Many of the DVRs on ebay are actually leased models and cannot be activated. I'd recommend giving D* a call and see what kind of deal they can make you.

Keep in mind that all old receivers will have to be replaced at some point when SD goes MPEG-4. (I don't believe a timeframe has been announced, but it will eventually happen)

Hi!
I just got DTV in May and have lines in four rooms with three regular receivers and one DVR. Would it be possible for me to simply purchase a DTV DVR on ebay and replace one of the receivers with it? I've found I'd like to have another DVR in the house. If it's workable, which DTV DVRs would work with my system? I don't care about HD, I don't have any HD tvs. Thanks for any help.
Paul

I would call D* and see what they may do for you.
Normally a SD DVR is $ 99, but they often work with the subs via discounts or such.

Your biggest problem is DVRs use 2 lines and your base models use a single cable. Used TiVos should be available on eBay as long as you want SD probably less than $50.

Your biggest problem is DVRs use 2 lines and your base models use a single cable. Used TiVos should be available on eBay as long as you want SD probably less than $50.

Can't he use the new system that allows for a single line to the DVRs ?

The receivers have to be capable of using the SWM to be able to internally split the signals. As far as I know the R16 & R22 are the only SD DVRs that are capable. Old TiVos can have a single cable run to Tuner1 and be used as a single tuner receiver.

Thanks for all your suggestions, though I'm not sure I understand all of what's been suggested. If I buy an older D* Tivo and just hook it up, will it work? Maybe I'd better just contact D* and see what they'll do, although they'll probably charge me more per month as well as buying/leasing the unit, right?

Thanks,
Paul

If you buy a used DVR or any used receiver D* will charge you $20 for a new access card that will replace the previous customers access card.

Keep in mind if you buy a Tivo model, it will have a shelf life and you will not get all the channels you may want, now and in the future.

Keep in mind that you are going to have to pay a monthly fee of $5.99. I inquired about replacing one of my regular receivers with a DVR (irony have one) and I was told I would have a monthly fee, in addition to whatever I paid for the unit.

TiVo will be usable just as long as a R15 D* DVR because it is SD MPEG2 compatible, the shelf life won't be any shorter.
The OP already has a DVR on his account so there won't be any additional DVR fees. He is replacing an existing base receiver so there won't be an additional outlet /lease fee because he is already paying one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts