Can I?split the 2 cables from my elliptical dish with a multiswitch to 2 DVRs (1 HD & 1 SD)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogdaze

Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Bay
I have an elliptical Directv slimline dish connected to a HD DVR (HR24) and a SD?Directv DVR (SIR-S4040R) currently connected to a 18” round dish at the opposite end of the house. I want to connect both DVRs to the elliptical dish (they will be in the same room so I am hoping to not add any outside wiring). I have connected the SD DVR to the elliptical dish and it works fine. Can I connect a 3x4 multiswitch to the 2 cables from the dish and connect 2 outputs to each DVR? The LNB looks like it has 4 outputs but only 2 cables come from the dish (is it connected to a multiswitch at the LNB?). I was hoping to do all the wiring inside with very short cables.
Any help will be appreciated.

No, you can not do it that way at all.

First off, a 3x4 will not carry the 99 or 103 which is where your HD signals come from.
You would need a Zinwell WB68 if you ever need to put a multiswitch in there.

However, you would still need to run 4 lines from the dish to that switch eliminating the need for a 6x8 in your particular case.

That being said, you need to run 2 more lines from the dish to the room where you want to put the other DVR.

Thanks,
I'll run 2 more lines from the LNB through the wall. I guess I'm getting in my old age.
I appreciate the help.

dogdaze said:
I have an elliptical Directv slimline dish connected to a HD DVR (HR24) and a SD?Directv DVR (SIR-S4040R) currently connected to a 18? round dish at the opposite end of the house. I want to connect both DVRs to the elliptical dish (they will be in the same room so I am hoping to not add any outside wiring). I have connected the SD DVR to the elliptical dish and it works fine. Can I connect a 3x4 multiswitch to the 2 cables from the dish and connect 2 outputs to each DVR? The LNB looks like it has 4 outputs but only 2 cables come from the dish (is it connected to a multiswitch at the LNB?). I was hoping to do all the wiring inside with very short cables.
Any help will be appreciated.

Or you could convert to swm (1 line off dish) then put a 2 way(swm) before it goes in the house and use one line for one dvr and one line for other dvr

Or you could convert to swm (1 line off dish) then put a 2 way(swm) before it goes in the house and use one line for one dvr and one line for other dvr

No he can not since one of his DVR's is a legacy (at least without using a SWM Switch with legacy ports which will be double the work and 100x the cost and 0 advantage).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts