Can I squeeze more rotation out of my Stab HH100?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Das Hammer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Too close to Ohio
Hi, everyone. First, I'd like to thank everyone for their hospitality so far. And, since I have been absorbing the wealth of information here, I had no problems setting up my motorized Primestar dish over the weekend. Just went out there and did it like no one's business. The HH motor is a new venture for me because I've been using a self-installed 10 footer for C and Ku FTA.

I'm at 84.5W and trying to hit T12 at 15W. I'm using a Stab HH100 and a Pansat6000HXC. Controlling the rotor via USALS, the rotor won't even attempt to go over there, so I went into the USALS menu for that bird and instead of seeing something like "Move Dish 69.5E" there is something like "Move Dish -1.929457892E (exact syntax unknown right now).

This leads me to believe that T12 is juuuuust outside the reach of the Stab at my longitude. Now, I have heard that on the Pansat rotors you can take it apart and offset a gear one notch and get a little more rotation in one direction. Any chance this can be applied to the Stab as well?

Primestar dish is on a temporary mount right now until I can dig a hole for a real mount. See picture of the ever growing Das Hammer downlink centre. (The 400foot tower in the background is not mine).

http://photobucket.com/albums/y260/dashammer/peckstar.jpg

can you move the dish via Diseqc 1.2?

That is how I had to get Hispasat 1D (30W) with mine. USALS wouldnt let me get there (I'm at 45N 93.5W) but 1.2 did

I didn't even give it a thought. Will go home at lunch and give it a try.

Some sweet stuff on the hispasat too. Can't swing the big dish over that far, so that was part of the reason to put up the primestar so I could get more of the Atlantic birds.

Hispasat at 30 West was mentioned here recently. Yesterday, I tried to point to it, but my Coolsat 5000 in USALS mode refused to attempt to move the dish to it. So, it looks like software locks out USALS from pointing to positions past a certain point.

This morning, I did a little experiment to see what that limit is. The farthest postion my Coolsat 5000 will point to in USALS mode is 30.4. It ignores orders to go to 30.3 and beyond. To go beyond 30.4, I must switch to DiSEqC 1.2 mode. Once I do that, I can move the dish until my sg2100 hits its internal stops.

Hammer, that's a nice looking setup you have there. You obviously know what you're doing. :up I like the way you installed the motor upside down and turned the motor tube around backwards. That puts the dish more on top of the motor, reducing the strain on the motor's shaft. My only question is whether rain water might get inside the motor through the seal where the shaft rotates. But I think it's a chance worth taking!

Of course you could do a conventional mount by unbolting the P*'s mount, turning it upside down and bolting it back on the P* dish. That's been done before though. I like to see guys try out different approaches. I like yours.

It's not upside down. That is the way Stab's are setup. Thanks for the compliment though, I like to think I know what I'm doing! 8*)

Last edited:
Thanks for straightening me out on that, Hammer. I had seen a Stab 90, which mounts with the motor tube pointing down, but I had not seen a Stab 100 before. Kinda makes me wish I had got a Stab 100 instead of a sg2100.

Hammer, that's a nice looking setup you have there. You obviously know what you're doing. I like the way you installed the motor upside down and turned the motor tube around backwards. That puts the dish more on top of the motor, reducing the strain on the motor's shaft. My only question is whether rain water might get inside the motor through the seal where the shaft rotates. But I think it's a chance worth taking!

Of course you could do a conventional mount by unbolting the P*'s mount, turning it upside down and bolting it back on the P* dish. That's been done before though. I like to see guys try out different approaches. I like yours.

STAB motors face upright (which in some cases might work better
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/STAB/HH100-Stab-HH-Diseqc-USALS-Motor.htm

Well, no dice today on finding it. Will try again tonight maybe if there is enough light.

Only 6 degrees elevation for that bird from my location, maybe it's just not obtainable with the rotor. I've got line of sight at that elevation.

Must have been a combination of being in a hurry (lunch break) and not being familiar with the diseqc controls. The rotor seemed to stop responding while I was trying to nudge it and I had to keep going back to Hispasat at 30W and start over.

Same problem here in Chicago area, T12 is just not possible with the Stab HH100 it's beyond its limitations.

The location I chose to setup my dish was based on LOS and T12 being what I thought would be my furthest east sat attainable.

A forum member pointed out the specs on the stab had a + - 60 movement so IA-8 being my true south at 89.0 west means 29.0 W. would be the furthest east I could go which isn't that bad considering that I had my heart set on Hispasat, as for my most westerly position IA-7 at 129.0 w. is the best I can do since I don't see any Ku birds worth pointing at any further west, unless Echo 1 2 at 148.0 w, has anything to offer.

Hey Das , as for T12 unless your ready for a stationary dish pointed to it, it's probably not worth the effort.

Here are some screen shots of what up there on T12 according to Lyngsat , sure would be fun to get some of these channels.

Attachments

• screen shot t12.jpg
    screen shot t12.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 200
  • screen shot 2 t12.jpg
    screen shot 2 t12.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 250
  • screen shot 3 t 12.jpg
    screen shot 3 t 12.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I was really hoping to see what the Wine Network was all about. Hispasat is easy to hit, plus I'm getting Amazonas now too which was near the far eastern reaches of my big dish. Being at 84.5W I guess I can only get down to 24.5, which is where 905 is, but USALS only gets me down to 907. Too bad nothing there.

It's been real nice hitting T6, T5, G10R, etc., without having to move the big boy around. Can't interrupt the wife's Lifetime Movie Network you know.

Thanks.

Since you have ventured onto the Atlantic Sats, have you tried PAS 3R at 43.1 west, you can find 4 italian channels which have been up for only a short time and some feeds from the televisa network Mexico .

Heres some live Tp and frequencies to make it easier for everyone. just click on the screenshot.

Attachments

• pas 3r.jpg
    pas 3r.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 179
You can open a SG2100 up and move the limit "blocks" in it. It is suppose to give you an extra 5 degrees either way. as for the stab....don't have nor tried those before.

jayelem said:

Here are some screen shots of what up there on T12 according to Lyngsat , sure would be fun to get some of these channels.

The stuff on your first shot, TP 11806, are also on IA5. I get those channels on that bird here in CA.

In case anybody cares, there's a new channel, (at least for me as I didn't have it a couple of days ago) on T5. It is GAMESNFLIX and shows a lot of cool MOTORSPRT. TP Freq: 12177000. Pol: V.

Last edited:
Been to PAS3 and got the scan in from that. Was all up and down T5 last week when I had the 6000 hooked up to the big dish and found GMZNFLIX. Parked over on Doc Scott for a bit then all up and down the arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts