Can I swap out SD DVR for HD DVR w/ current cables?

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I have asked this before, but not very well, so bear with me and I will try to figure out what I am trying to say! :)

I have 4 TVs in my house (parents live in an in-law suite). Two of the televisions are HD and have VIP 622s. The other two are SD sets. One of them has the regular Dish DVR, and the other one has no box, but gets the signal via that Dish "voodoo" that allows 2 televisions to share the box. All of this works great and I am very happy w/ Dish.

But (there is always a but!), I will be swapping out one of the standard sets for an HD set this weekend (the one currently connected to the standard DVR).

What I would like to know is: if I purchase (I know they won't lease a 3rd) an additional Vip 622, can I simply swap it out with the standard Dish DVR that is there now? Cable-wise, I mean. Or will this require an installer to come out and make some new/different connections.

Thanks for your help!

If it currently has a dual tuner DVR in place, you can swap them out using the seperator already in place.

Do you have a cable for the OTA antenna in place or use a silver sensor OTA antenna just placed nearby ?

A 522 or 625 will have (2) incoming cables from the satellite dish (or one with a "separator" that splits the two into one at the back of the receiver). The 622/722 requires the same arrangement so yes, a swap should be painless.

The previous posters have answered correctly, in terms of incoming connections to the DVR from the dish.

However, if you are replacing an SD TV set with an HD TV set, then in order to view HD, you will need to connect the 622 to the HD TV set with either:

- A set of "component" cables

OR

- an "HDMI" cable

Generally, most members of this site use the low-cost, high-quality supplier at:

http://www.monoprice.com

for cables like those.

HDMI is simpler, because it includes Audio and Video in the one wire.

NOTE: If your current SD TV set is connected to the current DVR with only one wire, than you will want the "5 conductor" Component Cable set that also has Audio, if you do not get an HDMI cable.

PS Once you get your HD TV connected with one of the above two choices, be sure to pick up the remote and press "Menu" then "6" and then "8" and change the middle setting to either 720p or 1080i. If that setting stays at 480, the 622 will not be outputting HD...

He owns two HDTVs already in addition to two ViP622 receivers. I'll assume he knows about how to properly connect the TVs to the receiver. :p

Wow, thanks all great answers! I get my HD locals from an antenna that is (I guess that's what they did) diplexed into the Dish cables.

Both of my current HD sets get their OTA HD this way. Will this 3rd set "just work" for OTA HD as well?

Anyone know the answer to the OTA part of the equation? Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)