Can I watch live tv on iPad outside of home network?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ESPNU HD

Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
TN
I realize this can be done with certain channels but not local networks or ESPN. I'm currently a Dish customer looking to switch over to Directv however there is only one thing stopping me...the ability to watch live tv (any channel) outside my home network. My son is in college and uses Dish's sling adapter which works flawless. He can watch any channel live from his dorm room and I don't want to swap if Directv doesn't have a comparable service. He pretty much only watches local networks and ESPN neither of which are listed on Directv's website. With that said, my question is does anyone know if Directv plans on providing such a service in the near future?

That is the ultimate goal but they do not currently offer.

If yall know someone with a cable service that allows watch ESPN access then he could use their login to watch via the app or online.

Thanks for the response, I'll keep checking back because I really want to switch but not until they have this service.

Whats wrong with him using a Sling for Directv ?

Is that possible Jimbo? I know I can't use the sling adapter I have due to its specifically made for Dish. I don't recall the name of the sling box people were using with Directv but from my understanding it didn't work like the sling adapter I use with Dish. I read that everything gets downloaded first meaning if I wanted to watch a sitcom on a local network it must first be downloaded to the sling box then watched therefore you're not really watching live TV. Please advise if it is possible to watch any channel live with an iPad or laptop not connected to the home network, much appreciated.

There is the slingbox. They were made to work with different video sources before Dish acquired them. Check out the slingbox solo reviews on amazon, sort it by new reviews. You might want to look at the HD version also if you prefer that.

There is the slingbox. They were made to work with different video sources before Dish acquired them. Check out the slingbox solo reviews on amazon, sort it by new reviews. You might want to look at the HD version also if you prefer that.

Thanks Reybie, I'll do some research, much appreciated.

Thanks Reybie, I'll do some research, much appreciated.

Let us know what you find, price wise too.

i use the hava vulkano with my directv receivers and it works flawlessly! i love being able to access my playlist from airports.

I need something that I don't need internet access for ...

Different scenario, I need to be able to d/l to my Samgung Tablet and watch when I want without internet access, ala on the plane, newspapers would be nice too.

Get yourself a stand alone Slingbox. You should be able to find a Slingbox Solo for around $99.

Hook it up to your DIRECTV receiver and you will then be able to watch your live TV anywhere. :D

The Vulkano and Sling Boxes are great.

But just keep in my mind, that unlike the sling adapter with dish, when your son is connected you will need to dedicate the receiver to that task. These devices actually hook up to the output of your receiver and control them via an IR blaster, so it is not just going to use a tuner or allow him to watch recorded shows without impacting the "TV" that is also hooked up to that output from the receiver. With that said though, this the way to go for what you need.

I've been doing this with ipad since day 1 The sling box works great.

My current ipad3 has LTE and is fast enough to watch Dish Network HDTV channels via sling HD and at the same time stream 3 SD security cameras, plus hot spot to my wife's ipad via wifi where she can watch her dish DVR with sling adapter. I've only been able to do all this in Las Vegas where the LTE speed was the fastest. Most places, the LTE speed is too slow for all that connection and all I can do is hot spot to second ipad for web surfing while watching HD channel on sling.

To record shows to your ipad storage, you'll need to get the program on your computer. Once there, you can convert the program to an ipad compatible file using a number of different PC programs. These are all available. Getting the program off the DVR to a file on your computer can be tricky but there are a number of PC's with A/V capture inputs to get you SD avi files of any analog video signal. There are also external boxes that connect to the computer and have the A/V inputs you can connect to the DVR too. I suggest this to be the easiest way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DIY HD and ION East HD Live

Whole Home - What do I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)