Can leased Joeys be used on another account?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mr4dtv

Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
Found a box of dish equipment alongside the road.
Called Dish and the receiver is leased and can't be used.
However, there were two Joey's in the box as well.
Since they are simply "clients" that connect to another hopper, can't they be reconfigured to use on another hopper?
Thanks

The Joeys are probably leased too. They need to activated in the DISH system and if they are leased you can't use them...

The Joeys are probably leased too. They need to activated in the DISH system and if they are leased you can't use them...
They have a separate activation? I just thought they "mirrored" themselves off the hopper and didn't have a tuner or anything in them.

They have a separate activation? I just thought they "mirrored" themselves off the hopper and didn't have a tuner or anything in them.

Yes, they are a client of the main hopper and have no tuner of their own. However, Dish charges for each outlet, so yes they have to be activated on your account (and you have to pay $7 per month per Joey to use them). The good news is that Dish will send you as many (up to six) brand new Joeys as you want for free. You just have to pay the monthly outlet fees each month.

Edit: corrected to six from five.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, they are a client of the main hopper and have no tuner of their own. However, Dish charges for each outlet, so yes they have to be activated on your account (and you have to pay $7 per month per Joey to use them). The good news is that Dish will send you as many (up to five?) brand new Joeys as you want for free. You just have to pay the monthly outlet fees each month.
Up to six Joeys.

Reactions: joegr
Found a box of dish equipment alongside the road.
Called Dish and the receiver is leased and can't be used.
However, there were two Joey's in the box as well.
Since they are simply "clients" that connect to another hopper, can't they be reconfigured to use on another hopper?
Thanks

When a receiver is on an account, the receiver ID and smart card ID's are on that account, so no matter what happens, we can look up which account used to have that equipment on it as well as the history of that receiver. To add a receiver to a new account it has to be removed, and leased receivers can't be removed unless we've received and processed the return.

- Phoenix M.

Possibly stolen and discarded when they found they were useless.

Dish knows who leased them and how to get in contact with them.

They probably would send you pre-paid shipping boxes to return them to Dish

Last edited:
Reactions: osumike
I got a Joey 3 from an eBay seller a few months ago that said it was purchased & usable only to find out it was still on an account. Seller mysteriously disappeared when I called them on it (they did refund my $$).
Dish didn't ask for it back when I tried to activate, just said it was locked to another account - if they want to send a box/label they can have it since it's useless at this point. If original owner closed account (& paid it off) would the Joey then become usable by someone else or is it forever junk ?

Hello Peggy, regardless if account is closed and if the customer would be charged for un-returned equipment the receivers would need to be returned and processed through our system before it is allowed to be leased to a new customer.

Kepler A.

Yes, they are a client of the main hopper and have no tuner of their own. However, Dish charges for each outlet, so yes they have to be activated on your account (and you have to pay $7 per month per Joey to use them). The good news is that Dish will send you as many (up to six) brand new Joeys as you want for free. You just have to pay the monthly outlet fees each month.

Edit: corrected to six from five.
Further clarifications: The 6th client has to be paid by the subscriber one-time purchase; H3 supports 7 TV's, but Dish subsidizes only 6 TV's.

Thanks, might as well throw it away then.
Yeah, Dish aint gonna pay any shipping charges to get back a "cheap" to them client that very well could be damaged and require too much money to fix. IF Dish got their charge back on it, then now paying shipping on top of that makes no sense to Dish.

Reactions: navychop
While there is a feature to "mirror" what is being watched on another client or the Hopper itself, the clients are capable of providing a COMPLETE seperate TV watching and controlling experience: different channel; different favorites in guide; watching different DVR recordings and VOD, etc. It is just like having your Hopper in another room, but having no effect on the Hopper itself being watched in another room at the same time. Aside from some "maintenance settings" the only viewing feature the Joey client can NOT do is the PIP feature (2 or 4 channel PIP). The Hopper and clients are a whole home system. I guess you could think of it like the old days of the Hopper being the master and the Joey the slaves.

Mirroring would be only able to watch the same channel the main receiver was on like when you connect a second output with no equipment to another TV. Joey is a second device capable to provide a different channel or watching the DVR all independantly of the main receiver.

I got a Joey 3 from an eBay seller a few months ago that said it was purchased & usable only to find out it was still on an account. Seller mysteriously disappeared when I called them on it (they did refund my $$).
Dish didn't ask for it back when I tried to activate, just said it was locked to another account - if they want to send a box/label they can have it since it's useless at this point. If original owner closed account (& paid it off) would the Joey then become usable by someone else or is it forever junk ?

I have a similar problem. I too bought an owned 4K Joey from a 3rd party through eBay. It, a year later, is still active on an account even though it isn’t connected. I reached out to the leasing company and they deny any support (ie they are charging a customer for it even though the customer doesn’t have the box).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts