Can NO longer record any SiriusXM channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
SiriusXM is prohibited from providing any playlists prior to songs being played, they can and do post what songs have played on each channel.

I totally understand and at the same time I don't if that makes any sense. The rights/royalties thing has been ingrained in radio (and now Satellite radio and streaming) forever yet you can basically just search on youtube and find practically any song you want. I get that some are not "authorized" uploads but some are like artists that have their over Vevo pages. Anyways, just a strange dichotomy. I guess some of it can be traced back to the good old Napster days of the late 1990's.

Reactions: dare2be
Soon, there will be nobody that remembers what it was like to give your computer AIDS, just to download a couple songs.

SiriusXM on Dish sounds far better than on the actual radios. I work in the radio industry and I actually wanted to keep Sirius in my car to listen to the channels my stations go against. It just hurts my ears. I'm sensitive to compression artifacts.

One reason the radios sound so bad is that their library is 256Kbps MPEG2 audio, so it's getting transcoded before it gets to the actual radio. There are more bits available if you have an older XM radio, so those models are more listenable.

I can tolerate it on Dish, but can't stand it more than 15 minutes in the car. Plus, it's kind of a 'freebie' with my Dish package.

Reactions: TheKrell
After my Dad passed away, we were going through his stuff and he had recorded boxes and boxes of cassette tapes from his Radio Shack recorder connected to his RCA DirecTV receiver. He loved the "Easy Listening" music channel and recorded all these tapes so when he was in the car he could play it back on long trips. He thought about adding an XM receiver in his car but his last few cars were from Ford and they went with Sirius in their vehicles. Not that he ever owned a car that had the extra-price Sirius option. So he stuck with his boxes of cassette tapes.

Some day I'll need to be in therapy, but suffice it to say that staying with Dad while on vacation was spent listening to the MuchMusic Easy Listening channel or the Stock Markets on MSNBC during working days got a little "I need to be somewhere else, but I Love you, Dad!"

Regarding recording, I always thought about hooking the S/PDIF out from my receiver and plugging it into the S/PDIF input on my Mac Pro. Apple makes it pretty easy now to make audio recordings from video and/or audio inputs on your Mac, but it wasn't something I ever actually did.

I did find that I can use my BlackMagic HDMI-to-Thunderbolt dongle to record both audio and video from my old ViP 211 on my Mac. Unfortunately, the 4K Joey has a magenta cast to the picture so it's unusable, but I'm sure the audio would still work. Something to try tonight after work...

Reactions: ChadT41
I vouch that the following was never in the analog domain between Dish's Uplink Center to the speakers/earphones you're using to listen to this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4itql0hyvcoucrt/SiriusXM_80s-on-8.m4a?dl=0

It was created by using my BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder which is a raw HDMI stream to Thunderbolt device. No encoder keeps the price low (I paid under $150 for it from B&H Photo Video) but means the captured files are huge. This is exported from QuickTime; the RAW version is about 100 times the size of this MP4.

Oh, and as expected, the Hopper 3 has the same video magenta cast as the 4K Joey. I'm sure that's to be expected since they are probably using the same chip set.

Well I thought my HopperGo was gonna save some of my data plan by recording instead of streaming.

Thought wrong........

I have a DVD recorder with a hard drive and I record blocks of Sirius channels that way. Not ideal, but works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts