Can Portland Oregon receive Bell Expressvu signal?

man9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Hi,

I am from Canada and I plan to get the dish network dish and its 2 LNBs (with my bell receiver) to receive the bell expressvu signals (both 82 and 91). Does anyone know if Portland area can receive the signal and if so, what angle should I adject the dish?

Please share you experience.

as long as you pay for service should be a problem as there are lots of southern canadians
everything dish uses bell uses the only difference usually is the software on the ird

Can anyone tell me what is the angle that I need to setup (along with the direction)? I'm living in west of portland. I do pay the satellite service.

Also, I will get the dishnetwork 500 dish with 2 LNBs so I hope I can receive both of the expressvu satellite.

If you guys can give me installation info and tips, that'd be perfect.

Also one more question. I'm living in an apartment which has a balcony at around the southwest direction. Do you think I can setup the dish at the balcony? If it doesn't work, can I put the dish inside the apartment? Please advice

all your questions should be answered later this am, you may want to use a bigger dish than the dish 500, originally i had bell on a dish 500 here in msp mn and everytime a lite sprinkle signal would go out so i since upgraded to a 90cm for 91 and a 80cm for 82 from sponsor above Sadoun all signals are now 100 on most if not all transponders this was accomplished with the help of the great members here
you may want to use 2 dishes 1 for 91 1 for 82 for the best possible signal

Thanks for your advice stone. Again, I'm not too sure if my balcony faces the exact angle of the satellite. If not, I wonder if I can do that by pointing the dish behind the window in my apartment?

Hope I can get some infos here!

man9 said:
Can anyone tell me what is the angle that I need to setup (along with the direction)? I'm living in west of portland. I do pay the satellite service.

Also, I will get the dishnetwork 500 dish with 2 LNBs so I hope I can receive both of the expressvu satellite.

If you guys can give me installation info and tips, that'd be perfect.

With a due respect to StonePhillips, I would read the threads - especially the last 2 months VERY CAREFULLY. There are a number of people on the West Coast from California north who are having SEVERE ISSUES receiving BEV on the West Coast all the way up to Portland.

I'd wait a few days and get more input - but I don't think its the slam dunk, especially with a Dish 500, that you might be expecting from the comments made here - but since I am not in the Pacific Northwest, I cannot say that with 100% certainty.

If by chance you can get the signal:

Portland, OR 97266
Latitude 45° 28.572'N Longitude 122° 33.576'W

Sat Name Sat Lng Az(t) Az(m) El Skew
----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>> NOTE: Calculate Skew values from 90 degrees West <<<<<<<
>>>>>>> Remember most DBS Dishes have 22.5 Degree offset <<<<<<<

Nimiq 2 82.0W 129.8 111.8 24.3 -32.6
Center 86.5W 134.4 116.4 26.8 -30.1
Nimiq 1 91.0W 139.3 121.3 29.1 -27.2

Anik F1/F1R 107.3W 159.1 141.1 35.5 -14.5
StarChoice 75cm Dual LNB Dish 111.1W 164.1 146.1 36.4 -11.1
Anik F2 111.1W 164.1 146.1 36.4 -11.1

Last edited:
Hi all,
first of all, thanks for the reply. I get the dish network 500 dish with a LNB located at 119 degree. I wonder if I can use it to point to either 91 or 82 expressvu satellite?

I intentionally bought 2 dishes so that I can get a better angle to point to both 91 and 82 respectively.

One more thing, I know how to adjust the dish to angle of elevation (~44 degree) but I don't know how to adjust it to the longitude (122). Can someone teach me how to do it?

man9 said:
but I don't know how to adjust it to the longitude (122). Can someone teach me how to do it?
You'll need a compass ($2 @ Walmart). Aim the dish in the direction the compass shows 122.
Or you can guesstimate and use the signal strength from the reciever.

hi, I tried to point the dishnetwork 500 dish with 119 and 110W LNBs to do the setup this morning but couldn't get a signal at all from my expressvu receiver. Any help?!

man9 said:
hi, I tried to point the dishnetwork 500 dish with 119 and 110W LNBs to do the setup this morning but couldn't get a signal at all from my expressvu receiver. Any help?!

man9 said:
I'm living in an apartment which has a balcony at around the southwest direction. Do you think I can setup the dish at the balcony? If it doesn't work, can I put the dish inside the apartment? Please advice

Derwin0 said:
from portland, you'll be pointing the dish almost due SouthEast at 132 degrees (t)/115 degress (mag).

Southeast != Southwest

As nice as it would be, the satellites wll not readjust themselves for your view angle.

man9 said:
If it doesn't work, can I put the dish inside the apartment? Please advice

You can put it in your apartment, but you might as well put it in the closet or storage unit while you are at it, because it will be just as functional in any of those 3 areas.

I check with my compass. I can point my dish at SE direction. I am hoping I can point it to the right elevation at SE. One question though, do I really need to adjust the skew of the dish? According to the website, I need to adjust the skew to -27.4 degree in my neighbourhood. Please advice whether I need to do that or just leave it at 90 degree.

Thanks.,

man9 said:
I check with my compass. I can point my dish at SE direction. I am hoping I can point it to the right elevation at SE. One question though, do I really need to adjust the skew of the dish? According to the website, I need to adjust the skew to -27.4 degree in my neighbourhood. Please advice whether I need to do that or just leave it at 90 degree.

Thanks.,

You only need to adjust the skew of the dish if you want it to work.

If that is of no importance to you, skew adjustment is not necessary.

man9 said:
I need to adjust the skew to -27.4 degree in my neighbourhood.
On a Dish 500, your skew setting will be 62.6 (90.0 - 27.4).
You'll need to set the skew to get both satellite. Leave it at 90, and the best you'll ever get is 1, especially with a skew that drastic.

Hi Derwin0,

thanks for useful advice! I'll try it out tonight if the weather is not as hot as yesterday :) And let's hope I can point to the satellite and get some signal strength from the expressvu receiver :) Can't wait to get it working as Portland is the not far away from Vancouver.... well, hope it works!

man9 said:
Hi Derwin0,

thanks for useful advice! I'll try it out tonight if the weather is not as hot as yesterday :) And let's hope I can point to the satellite and get some signal strength from the expressvu receiver :) Can't wait to get it working as Portland is the not far away from Vancouver.... well, hope it works!

It's only 102 today. Good luck. :hatsoff:

Hi all,

Few days ago I tried to set the elavation at around 28 degree, point the dish at 128 degree and skew at 67 degree but still didn't get any signal from expressvu. again, I"m in Portland oregon and I wonder if what transponder number I should try to detect for the 91 and 82 satellite?

In addition, I'm using the dish network 500 LNB 119 and 110 to try to get the 91 and 82 satellites. Will it work? I think the LNB between dish and expressvu are the same....

Please give me some advices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts