Can the DSR-4410 do DVB-S ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
I have a DSR-4410 that I use for ITC DCII stuff.

Does anyone here know if it can do DVB-S as well?

TIA

I just looked at the Modulation types in the Menu and they are:

DCII-AUTO
DVB-MAN
DCII-MAN

On the '-MAN' settings I get to enter Symbol and Code rates.

So DVB-MAN *might* do DVB-S or am I missing something?

Just found this in the Operator Guide "Demodulates DigiCipher® II or DVB signals" - so this means I'm good right?

Last edited:
Yeah the 4800 series (also known as the digitrans 7150) will do both DCII & DVB (also will do DVB 4:2:2 too)

Also note if you are looking for one that if the ID reads all 0's the unit is a doorstop :(
It will power up and do everything but wont log any channels in

Attachments

• PICT0149.JPG
    PICT0149.JPG
    876.8 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0146.JPG
    PICT0146.JPG
    746.9 KB · Views: 278
Yeah the 4800 series (also known as the digitrans 7150) will do both DCII & DVB (also will do DVB 4:2:2 too)

Also note if you are looking for one that if the ID reads all 0's the unit is a doorstop :(

Thanks

My dte7150 will show all zero's for the ACE ID number until it gets a DC2 Signal than it shows the same number that is printed on the bottom sticker.. Just send those 7 door stops my way!!!! LOL!

When a consumer DC shows all zero's or has a RID that don't start with 000-021 or 000-031 its usually toast. The commercial units have a battery also and keep info in ram in the XC chip too. So battery replacement is not only for our consumer IRD's. I wonder if Motorola will reload a XC chip if the unit is commercial. They spit on us.

Those 2 are dead. I tried them on Shaw Direct and it wont work. No signal...one finally showed a signal but no picture and no maps. It shows all zeroes for the RID (ACE).

Those 2 are dead. I tried them on Shaw Direct and it wont work. No signal...one finally showed a signal but no picture and no maps. It shows all zeroes for the RID (ACE).

Sounds like a classic case of ROM flushed in XC chip to me. Take it apart and measure voltage on the battery. Weird thing is in the 4DTV they will load a bogus RID & UID after battery replacement on brain flushed IRD and will keep that # with a new battery. The XC chip is designed to spit out a number the first time it's powered up. Thats how the factory loads them from what I understand.

I just looked at the Modulation types in the Menu and they are:

DCII-AUTO
DVB-MAN
DCII-MAN

On the '-MAN' settings I get to enter Symbol and Code rates.

So DVB-MAN *might* do DVB-S or am I missing something?

Just found this in the Operator Guide "Demodulates DigiCipher® II or DVB signals" - so this means I'm good right?

There are 4 options
DC2 Auto
DC2 VCT
DC2 manual
DVB

DVB is DVB-S (the DVB we know)
I always use DC2 manual for the freebies in DC2

Also I learned they will work with a LNBF...one of the settings for the LNB is HIGH for Horizontal and LOW for vertical

and yes you can do both DVB & DC2 programmed in at the same time

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
There are 4 options
DC2 Auto
DC2 VCT
DC2 manual
DVB

DVB is DVB-S (the DVB we know)
I always use DC2 manual for the freebies in DC2

Also I learned they will work with a LNBF...one of the settings for the LNB is HIGH for Horizontal and LOW for vertical

and yes you can do both DVB & DC2 programmed in at the same time

Cool! Thanks Ice

My dte7150 will show all zero's for the ACE ID number until it gets a DC2 Signal than it shows the same number that is printed on the bottom sticker.. Just send those 7 door stops my way!!!! LOL!

Yes. That's normal behavior for these receivers (the dsr-4800/dte-71xx series).

Also, if the unit ID has gone bad it will rarely show as all zeros. It just will not match the one on the label. It will be some random number. Bits in a memory chip aren't all zero after initial power up. At the time of power up they flip randomly to some value and stay that way until overwritten.

I don't have any first hand experience with a dsr-4800/DTE-71xx receiver with a bad unit ID as all the ones I've had were good, but I have had a DSR-4530 that had a bad ID. If the only problem is a bad ID, they will lock and tune DCII. However they are unable to decrypt anything and that includes FP. So, if the battery is dead you'll only be able to do anything useful on ZK signals or if you can use another unit with a good ID to decrypt by feeding the ASI out into an asi in on the good unit.

As for the 4410s ability to do dvb-s, I'm skeptical. I know the documentation says so and it's listed in the menus. As I said, I don't have a 4410 but have had at least 3 4530s which are very very similar to the 4410. Anyway, despite the fact the 4530 has the same menus as the 4410 and lists dvb-man as an option, I've never been able to lock a dvb signal on one of them. That leads me to believe the dvb support on the 4410/4530 family of receivers is either incomplete or they are very picky and will only lock signals with certain parameters. On the other hand the dsr-4800/dte71xx receivers do indeed do dvb quite well.

One thing we need to note here is we have discussions going on about 2 completely receivers. The original poster is asking about a 4410, yet the rest of you are talking about dsr-4800/DTE-71xx receivers. Though some of the basic principles still apply they're 2 completely different animals.

Last edited:
Yes. That's normal behavior for these receivers (the dsr-4800/dte-71xx series).

As for the 4410s ability to do dvb-s, I'm skeptical. I know the documentation says so and it's listed in the menus. As I said, I don't have a 4410 but have had at least 3 4530s which are very very similar to the 4410. Anyway, despite the fact the 4530 has the same menus as the 4410 and lists dvb-man as an option, I've never been able to lock a dvb signal on one of them. That leads me to believe the dvb support on the 4410/4530 family of receivers is either incomplete or they are very picky and will only lock signals with certain parameters. On the other hand the dsr-4800/dte71xx receivers do indeed do dvb quite well.

One thing we need to note here is we have discussions going on about 2 completely receivers. The original poster is asking about a 4410, yet the rest of you are talking about dsr-4800/DTE-71xx receivers. Though some of the basic principles still apply they're 2 completely different animals.

There's only one thing for it...I'll have to try...!

So I did...try it that is...

Got Video but no Audio, had a read through the thread ICE mentioned above but couldn't find anything that helped.

Also, couldn't get the ASI Output to work either, the ASI parser returned 0 programs.

I was testing Al Jazeera English on PAS9 - 3840 V (TP 7) - SID 15 - VPID 1860 - APID 1820 - I checked this first with my Pansat 3500 and it worked Audio & Video

Install
Port 0 Setup
Mode: Manual
Sat: P09 (manually entered)
POL: V/RHP

Manual Tune
Input: Port 0
Mode: Xpndr
XPDR: 07
LFREQ: 1310 (determined by XPDR)

Modulation
Mode: DVB-MAN
Symbol ID: 27.690000
Code: 7/8

Channel
MPEG SELECT
Program: 15

Picture popped up - yay!
Audio no go

Checked Fast Facts 4:

Audio #1 Locked: NO

Any ideas on the audio or ASI thing?

I think its just one of those glitches with these machines when forcing them into DVB mode

Try an AC-3 audio feed and see what happens

I think its just one of those glitches with these machines when forcing them into DVB mode

Try an AC-3 audio feed and see what happens

So I had to get another 4410, the other checked out :(

However...with the next 4410 I do get audio - yay!

So to answer the original question, Yes! the 4410 can do DVB-S

I know this is an old thread, but the DSR-4402x, DSR-4410, and DSR-4410MD units can all do DVB-S and the 4410MD's can also do DVB-S2.

Motorola only allows Digicipher encryption, so it will only do unencrypted feeds, or pass an encrypted feed to an external decoder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts