Unknown 10 pointer (footer)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
I was out road hunting when i caught this bad boy out grazing off the road.
It was cleverly disguised as a multiflora rose bush, but i was not fooled for a moment with that disguise.

I got off one quick shot with my hp camera and proceeded to check with the owners of the land as i didnt want to harvest illegally. The owners charged me $75 and then i field dressed it and strapped it to the back of my sisters truck homeward bound. In the same area i saw his brother and grandpa, but gramps was too broken down by a tree falling on it to save, all the same models though. They want 50 bucks for the brother , i will get him later.

Its 10 footer (all 3 are) and i have no idea what make it is, but it will be fun to clean up and get working again. I havent seen any plastic framed buds before.
Anyways, thats my story and i am sticking with it.

Kodaz

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 206
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 212
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    998.1 KB · Views: 235
Looks like you nabbed an endangered species there! :eek:

Is it worth getting the antlers (actuator, lnb, etc.) off of the grandpa??

i do plan to grab all of them, jus got too darn hot today to continue. also i want to soak those bolts better.
Thanks guys!

Note the following is just my (well founded) opinion.It appears to be a Janiel Darkstar,I had a 12' one,biggest POS I ever owned.I had replaced a 10' steel mesh with it and I couldn't put the 10 footer back up fast enough.While the mount is quite solid,the dish itself is junk.I sent mine to the landfill many years ago.You should have been PAID to remove that eyesore from the property.If you do decide to restore that dish you will wind up with a 10' that performs about as well as a 6', maybe.Note the 10 foot steel is still there rusting away and beat up but it still works better than the Janiel ever did.

I found a 12' dish on our property last year that my ex had dragged in from who knows where. It was totally buried with weeds and saplings. It looked very much like that thing, it had plastic frames that look just like those.
I posted pictures of it and the guys all told me to leave there where it was, that it was of no value. Turns out it was indeed a Dark Star.

I left it there when we sold the property and it got bulldozed.

Attachments

• IMG_4786.resized.JPG
    IMG_4786.resized.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4788.resized.JPG
    IMG_4788.resized.JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4802.resized.JPG
    IMG_4802.resized.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4801.resized.JPG
    IMG_4801.resized.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4794.resized.JPG
    IMG_4794.resized.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4781.resized.JPG
    IMG_4781.resized.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 166
Someone (else) has spoken unkindly of the plastic-framed BUDs.
Apparently they get water in the ribs, it freezes, and bursts the framework.
You might search comments by Turbosat, on the subject. (?)

If this is your first BUD, you might put it up anyway, learn the ropes, and keep on the lookout for something down the line.
Having a pole installed, makes changing dishes later, pretty simple.

And think of these as spare parts:
- mesh
- mount
- motor
All good things to have in abundance. - :up

Several of the folks on the board have given away mesh, mounts, 'n motors just 'cause they had spares.
You could be a hero, too. ;)

actually , it is my 3rd. i have another 10 foot bud waiting for me to finish grading the backyard before i can begin to move all my dishes there.
I am already working on a support ring with adjustable arms to set the dish firm. it will make the dish heavy but i can just use my cat 953 to help lift it. i plan to play with it some just cause its fun to do. it will end up stationary because of all the weight.
but i will look for better dishes in the future. i want more!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)