Can the warm weather affect my signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vallenato

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2011
America
Can the warm weather affect my signal??
What I have read and experimenting on my installation seems the answer: Yes
Using sadoun 6 ft (stationary mounted on the ground) Only aimed to 40.5W Ses6 with Geosat pro2 LNBF. I have the same installation since 3-4 years ago and every summer (0ver 90 F) I have experimented low signals on some Tp's (specifically Tp:4025H). On winter seasons I am seeing more stable my signals. The same Tp is with good signal.
Long time ago I read some information that CBand cicular signals are affected by sunbeams. I dont know If is the sunbeams or high temperatures from the broadcasting source, Sky, or reception (My Home)..I dont know. Just I am seeing the same thing every year. I have worked last year to keep more stable my installation but i am seeing the same effect.
Looking Options I would like to ask:
What is the use for: Covers in the LNBs that regularly we are seeing on the C band dishes?
This Covers is to protect the LNBFs units from the rain and Sunbeams?..Also I have seen that some testers are put simple plastic gallon Milk or Pepsi to protect their LNBF's.
What is the purpose?
Could simple Gallon plastic be my solution?
Thanks in advance:wave

The plastic covers are to keep insects out of the lnb. Especially wasps, and that type that build huge paper nests that would block the signal. They also help keep out water, as water absorbs the signal a bit and can cause issues.

Reactions: Vallenato
Yes, satellite signals are affected by heat build-up in the LNB and also changes in the troposphere and ionosphere.

The colder the LNB electronics, the better the performance. White or light color used on the feedhorn and electronics will reflect heat rather than absorb and raise the operating temperature. The electronics will be cooler if shaded (white fedhorn cover) and provided with good air exchange. If the system has DRO LNB(f)s, the temperature could cause excessive frequency drift and this amount of drift will increase as the unit ages. Most receivers will track the LO drift +/- 3MHz, but the weaker and narrower the signal, the more difficulty the receiver will have locking on the carrier.

Here is a good reference article on satellite signal propagation:
http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/satellite/satellite_sig_prop/satellite_signal_propagation.php

Reactions: Vallenato
If 40.5W is close to the horizon you may be experiencing a higher noise 'floor'. Warm earth = higher noise. The higher your aim the less effect this has.
Electronics are quieter if they are cooled. Hot LNBF= higher noise figure. Maybe shade it from direct sunlight, without enclosing it, so it still gets air. At the extreme - Small copper tubing wrapped around it with cold water circulating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(electronics)#Thermal_noise

With a 6' dish, the OP could rig up a beach umbrella over the dish! Or maybe do one of those 'dish camoflage' setups we used to see pictures of-hiding the dish under a big umbrella to disguise as a lawn table. Both should cool down his electronics.

wrap the feed cover or the feedhord with silver foil duct tape. don't block the end.
the silver will reflect heat keeping it cooler.

In more than 20 years I've never had a signal problem due simply to hot weather. However, I have had signal problems in the Summer due to wasps finding a way into the feedhorn and packing it with a nest that has the effect of holding the heat in. Cleaning out the nest (no fun) fixes the problem. The only other issue would be the Spring and Fall equinox when the sun aligns with the sat arc. If the sun passes behind the sat you're pointed at the signal can degrade significantly for a period of time. That particular problem can exist for a few days on either side of the actual equinox.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)