Can VERIZON be our knight in shinning armour??

tampa is scheduled to get it before the end of the year. hopefully in a few months. i am going to try to be a beta tester. we have the FIOS lines run in our area, but it is not activated yet.

salsadancer7 said:
Verizon's Universal Appeal
By Steven Mallas

Verizon (NYSE: VZ - News) does a lot of things. It provides conventional local and long-distance telephone services, various wireless products, Internet surfing via DSL (which it sometimes gets naked with), and more. It also intends on competing with cable and satellite companies in the arena of content distribution. How will it do so? Say hello to FiOS TV.

I live in a community outside of Dallas that was among the first to get FIOS. I had it installed in a new house my wife and I just built, with the $49.95 15down/2up internet package, and it is phenomenal service. I'm self-employed and office from home, and in my former office I had a partial T-1. In effect I had the full T-1 because no one else was on it and the tech didn't dial it back. Anyway, I went from paying $384 a month for 1.5 Mbps down to paying $49.95 a month for ten times that bandwidth. Tests I've run with FIOS show an honest 15 Mbps down.

Since I also had Voom installed in my house, like everyone else I've been looking for alternatives. I called FIOS, and they don't have any specific information on alternatives as of yet. The only deal is still a small break on D* if you order it through Verizon.

But, clearly they do have plans. Their salespeople say maybe later this year.

Will Verizon be the new V* and new HDTV Leader?

Verizon will be making a big push into the DC/Northern Virginia area. In fact, Franchise Agreement discussions between Verizon and my County Cable and Telecommunications Commission started in December/January (see the below linked minutes - III. Verizon). I will be taking a more proactive role and volunteering to help bring FioS/FTTP to this area.

Exciting times in this this neck of the woods:

1. Adelphia out/Comcast in
2. D* and/or E* to roll out a respectable HD lineup by end of year
3. Verizon (V*) to implement FioS/FTTP and video

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_18/b3931099_mz016.htm
http://www.spotsylvania.va.us/DownloadFiles/Minutes/cab/02102005.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts