Can VERIZON be our knight in shinning armour??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/fool/20050420/bs_fool_fool/111403192532

Verizon's Universal Appeal
By Steven Mallas

Verizon (NYSE: VZ - News) does a lot of things. It provides conventional local and long-distance telephone services, various wireless products, Internet surfing via DSL (which it sometimes gets naked with), and more. It also intends on competing with cable and satellite companies in the arena of content distribution. How will it do so? Say hello to FiOS TV.

Simply put, FiOS TV uses fiber-optic technology to deliver all kinds of entertainment and informational programming via broadband to a subscriber's home. Verizon plans on having everything available that would make such a medium popular: digital channels, high-definition programming, video on demand... the usual suspects. These offerings were highlighted when Verizon announced a deal with General Electric's (NYSE: GE - News) NBC Universal asset.
Any new platform is only as strong as the content it possesses. Think of a dinner table. Does it matter whether the table was built with the best wood and crafted by the finest hands in all the land if the dishes of food sitting atop it taste horrible? Verizon is going to make sure it has what the collective eyeballs of the land desire. The agreement covers NBC Universal properties such as the SciFi Channel, USA, Telemundo, Bravo, CNBC, and MSNBC, as well as retransmission rights for owned-and-operated broadcast stations. FiOS TV absolutely needs a valuable collection of diverse brands like this. (It's great to be a GE shareholder, let me tell you.) Verizon also recently made a pact with the people over at Starz Entertainment Group; you can bet more deals will be sealed as time goes on.

General Electric is wise to stake a claim to this new turf. My analogy about the dinner table still applies, but it shouldn't be taken too literally, since GE knows that it needs FiOS TV just as much as FiOS TV needs GE; it's just obligatory symbiosis. The successful colonization of all future mediums ensures future growth in the value of NBC Universal's expansive portfolio -- as well as further amortization of costs related to that portfolio.

Verizon is trading at a yield of approximately 4.7% as I write this, so investors who believe that the company has a nice future ahead of it would be locking in a nice yield right now. I am more in favor of General Electric as a long-term investment vehicle because of its undeniable diversity and what I believe to be a preferable dividend history. (According to Verizon's shareholder site, that company's payout remained at an annual rate of $1.54 per share over the past several years, although the company did recently increase the quarterly dividend 5.2% in its latest declaration, on March 4.)

A signifant roll out is still very far away. I believe the test is a small community outside of Dallas sometime in the 3rd quarter. Lots of fiber has to be strung first. Can't be done overnight but wish it would. We still need something between then and now.

gutter said:
A signifant roll out is still very far away. I believe the test is a small community outside of Dallas sometime in the 3rd quarter. Lots of fiber has to be strung first. Can't be done overnight but wish it would. We still need something between then and now.

I think they're farther along then that. There was a recent news story about Brighthouse Cable and Verizon getting into a pi**ing war about all the fiber that Verizon is installing in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area.

rad said:
I think they're farther along then that. There was a recent news story about Brighthouse Cable and Verizon getting into a pi**ing war about all the fiber that Verizon is installing in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area.

No. Tampa is one of the 4 intro areas. the other is the areas around NYC including NJ and PA as well as Washington D.C. I think it was posted on this site.

rad said:

BHN in the city of Tampa is bitching about their deal with the city. BHN is also fighting about Verizon not having to meet the same franchise agreements as BHN has. Verizon wants a national franchise agreement instead of a local one and if they can't get that they would try a state franchise agreement. Now Verizon is fighting back saying BHN should be regulated like Verizon for their new phone service offerings.

Now Pinellas County which includes Clearwater and the like will be completed within two years if not quicker but right now Knology is slowing this up because of their no compete clause while Verizon is saying we should be allowed to lay fiber just not offer service until that clause runs out. Right now all three companies are pissing all over each other in every direction you can think of.

Also people in Tampa that have FIOS internet available to them now should have Fios TV service available around this summer to end of the year timeframe.

I just signed up for FIOS internet.

A 15 Meg down and 2 meg up is $34.95/mo, they also have a 5/1 for $29.95 and a 15/4 for 44.95.

I was told the box is tv/cable ready, and they take a minimum of 4 hours to pull down my copper and replace with fiber into the house.

I was told there would be limited tv/cable channels by SEPTEMBER this year, with full service by early next year.

All this because I saw a GET FIOS truck going up the highway near my house!!!!!

csr at verizon told me that here in upstate ny the service wouldnt be avaliable for another 1 1/2 to 2 years! also said they run fiber to your house and install a special box on the outside and use your existing wiring on the inside

philhu said:
A 15 Meg down and 2 meg up is $34.95/mo, they also have a 5/1 for $29.95 and a 15/4 for 44.95.

The pricing scheme is:
5 down / 2up : $39.95
15 down / 2 up : $49.95
30 down / 5 up : $199.95 (Don't get this one, what a jump :shocked )

Any speeds or prices below that for standard DSL not fiber. (Unless you get a special discount from Verizon)

Their TV service should be something to watch...I plan to sign on once it becomes available (My community is scheduled for the end of summer)

yanks2402 said:
The pricing scheme is:
5 down / 2up : $39.95
15 down / 2 up : $49.95
30 down / 5 up : $199.95 (Don't get this one, what a jump :shocked )

Any speeds or prices below that for standard DSL not fiber. (Unless you get a special discount from Verizon)

Their TV service should be something to watch...I plan to sign on once it becomes available (My community is scheduled for the end of summer)
these new higher speeds are kinda funny. The average user only needs about 128 symmetrical or so with tweaked settings for webpage viewing, and a temporary large bandwidth and large burst settings for downloads. I think variable bandwidth rates is really the best way for cable or any of these companies to go. Don't know how soon or even if it will be implemented, but better utilization of bandwidth is the best way..

Does anyone know the timetable for this service as per city? I live in Monmouth County NJ and have not heard of any date for service.

Bill

Its got the V* moniker too :)

I know one of the biggest reasons I went with cable was because this service is coming and I wanted to have my options open to see what they offer.... I know regardless Im getting their internet.

FWIW, Verizon isn't even anywhere near my town, let alone fiber optic. It will be a dozen years or more before I can even hope to see this and I am in between 2 major metro areas. I was just able to get 256k DSL a year ago.

Verizon is where I live but I cannot even get regular DSL now because I am 7 road miles between two towns that has it, too far away. Will FIOS allow Verizon carry DSL farther away from their central office somehow even if they could not carry the fiber all the way out? Seeing how the speeds will be much greater with FIOS then I would think that there would still be high speed internet available at a greater distance even if it was not nearly as fast it would be better than dialup. For example, 15 MB would be able to carry an x number of miles further than their current 1.5/3 MB service they have now they have in the central office. That means that by the time it came to my house 7 road miles away it may be 1 or 2 MB which is still high speed internet.

Don't know how current this info is, but it is generated from user feedback - so what info they have is probably fairly reliable.

See below.

DarrellP said:
FWIW, Verizon isn't even anywhere near my town, let alone fiber optic. It will be a dozen years or more before I can even hope to see this and I am in between 2 major metro areas. I was just able to get 256k DSL a year ago.

Verizon isn't even in MN :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts