Can VOD be viewed via HDMI interface?

jackdemcak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 6, 2009
Rancho Palos Verdes
I apologize if this topic was previously discussed. The search function did not find any applicable threads.

I have an HDMI cable connecting my 722 to a HD monitor. When I tried to watch a VOD movie, A message popped up saying that HDCP was not enabled and I should try using the 722's component video output. This message surprised me because the System Information/Screen 2 showed HDCP=Y. (I assume this means "Yes, HDCP is enabled and OK".)

I did not remove the HDMI cable from the 722 when I installed a component video cable. The "HDCP not enabled" message appeared again.

It wasn't until I physically removed the HDMI cable from the 722 that I was able to watch the movie via the component video interface.

Am I observing the fact that Dish's VOD does not support HDMI output -- or do I have a possible configuration or improperly set parameter problem? The 2 Dish tech support people I talked to were not helpful.

Thank you Aerc and harseness for your timely reply.

My monitor is a Fujitsu P42HHA40U 1080I plasma. I purchased it in June 2005. The manual makes no mention of HDCP compliancy. I was not attempting to watch a 1080P movie.

If the 722 sends a signal to the monitor and then reads the monitor response to determine the HDCP state, why would the monitor reply OK on the component video interface and Not OK on the HDMI interface?

It seems a bit low tech to require a user to mess with cables in order to watch a VOD movie.

HDCP (or any other handshaking method) cannot operate over conventional component cables. I suspect that you TV is flustered by the request from the ViP722 and isn't responding appropriately.

Call DISH and report the specifics and maybe they can eventually put in some code for your TV model.

Call DISH and report the specifics and maybe they can eventually put in some code for your TV model.

Or call your legislators and demand that the psychopathy that is copyright protection be reined in.

I had the same thing happen to me with my Xbox 360. I could play games and navigate the menus but if I downloaded a movie or put in a DVD, I got an HDCP error. I researched it on the web. I found out that this happens a lot with early LG and Samsung TVs. When TV makers first started putting the HDMI inputs on their TVs some of them wrote sloppy code for the HDMI input. The TV doesn’t give the required response so the copy protected material won’t play. As time has gone by, the TV makers overcame this issue, but that doesn’t help those of us who were early-adopters. I gave up and decided to use component cables. However some TVs can have their firmware updated to overcome this problem.

Any chance that firmware updates to those older TV's could fix the issue? I don't know if it's possible, but worth looking into...

Maybe a call to the manufacturer or visit to their web-site for that model would produce the answer.

Any chance that firmware updates to those older TV's could fix the issue?
A firmware update can certainly address simple issues of choking on a particular display's HDCP responses. No fix will happen unless DISH Network is motivated to fix it. Suffering in silence doesn't foster motivation.

There will be no "fix" for displays that don't feature HDCP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts