Can we keep track of new ATSC 3.0 stations going on the air?

I don’t see people eager to buy ANOTHER new TV just for an ATSC 3 OTA tuner. Presumably, an STB will be the cheaper approach.

Sure, another remote can be a pain. But $omething might per$uade people it’s the better route.

Will those STBs start at a low price, perhaps subsidized somehow? If we have to wait three years for those prices to come down- well, never mind. It’ll be three years before there’ll be any market penetration by ATSC 3 anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Many of those who bit in the first few years are surely lamenting that they got TVs that were missing HDR and other features. HDR is a big thing to be missing.

Convenience is worth quite a bit to some and others will be using all of the other standard excuses for replacing a TV: The remote doesn't work right, I need more HDMI jacks, the screen has too much glare, etc.

I won't be buying a TV just because it has a 3.0 tuner in it. I have 3 HDTV's now and I don't use the tuners on any of them. I need OTA integration on my STB's and my network-attached tuners.

I submit that nobody wants USB because that won't work as an input to AVRs and video switchgear.

I'm not convinced that they'll ever perfect HDMI-CEC.

I don’t see people eager to buy ANOTHER new TV just for an ATSC 3 OTA tuner. Presumably, an STB will be the cheaper approach.

Sure, another remote can be a pain. But $omething might per$uade people it’s the better route.

Will those STBs start at a low price, perhaps subsidized somehow? If we have to wait three years for those prices to come down- well, never mind. It’ll be three years before there’ll be any market penetration by ATSC 3 anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I'm waiting on purpose for ATSC 3.0 Tuners in TV before I upgrade mine. There are alot of older 4K sets from 2012-2014 that will be coming up for replacement as they die out.

Reactions: primestar31
I'm waiting on purpose for ATSC 3.0 Tuners in TV before I upgrade mine. There are alot of older 4K sets from 2012-2014 that will be coming up for replacement as they die out.
I'm looking for pretty much any excuse not to buy, but I agree that many have discovered that TVs don't hold up very well any more both in terms of features and reliability. The SMART TV features look pretty dumb about three to four years in. I'd much rather have a competent tuner than most all of the TV smarts out there.

Sometimes I just want to watch the local news and I don't want to have to spin up my entertainment infrastructure to do it -- especially if I'm running off battery or a generator.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Of course I'm talking about consumer-ready production pieces, not proof-of-concept mock-ups.

With due respect to navychop, a lot of people don't want to mess with STBs and having to figure out yet another remote code set to integrate into their universal remotes. As long as DTV converters have been around, perhaps none used them willingly. The secret is going to be in tuners that are integrated into something.

As I've already shown they already exist in mass production in Korea. Unfortunately what I've learned so far is that the box I imported from there last year cannot decode any 3.0 subchannel that isn't in 2160p! You see, over in Seoul, the ATSC 3.0 stations there are just 1 2160p subchannel and nothing else, basically they believe 4K is the be all end all use case.

I sent the box down to Phoenix, where the 3.0 transmitter is 2 1080p and 1 480p subchannel, and the box sees the channels but displays nothing more than a black screen.

I too believe 4K is really a waste of bandwidth, I just want to not have to be using an outdoor antenna to receive HD, better yet, give me a tablet that can receive 3.0 easily and that'd make my day

As I've already shown they already exist in mass production in Korea.
I didn't say that they didn't or wouldn't exist; only that they wouldn't be particularly well-received by US consumers.

That yours doesn't work with other than UHD streams will hopefully be fixed with a firmware update. That it doesn't fully support all the resolutions sort of defies a "mass production" status.

I don't yet have a list coded, but I have added a very simple ATSC 3.0 indicator (using the same code as the "On/Off/Analog" indicator) on RabbitEars to those stations running 3.0. It is set for the Baltimore/DC test, WRAL-EX, KFPH-CD, and KSBB-CD.

The problem is that it does not have a way to account for stations operating ATSC 3.0 experimental filed under existing licenses. I believe those are WCIU, WKAR, and KSNV. This is very much a temporary fix.

- Trip

Reactions: N5XZS
Vapor stations chasing vaporware.

Until there is a station in my DMA actually broadcasting, I couldn't care less about ATSC 3.0.

The price isn't the only problem: The Redzone dongle requires a Linux host and is expressly not intended for consumer use.

A consumer-oriented dongle won't have arrived until there are drivers that allow a device to be used with mainstream media servers (Plex, UMS, Serviio, Emby, OpenELEC) and off-the-shelf Windows and Mac computers.

The price isn't the only problem: The Redzone dongle requires a Linux host and is expressly not intended for consumer use.

A consumer-oriented dongle won't have arrived until there are drivers that allow a device to be used with mainstream media servers (Plex, UMS, Serviio, Emby, OpenELEC) and off-the-shelf Windows and Mac computers.

I'm saying maybe 1+ years off for a consumer tuner. I believe Silicondust may be working on one now.

I won't be investing until there are several stations in my DMA using 3.0.

I believe Silicondust may be working on one now.
I'm betting that they're still evaluating when they'll step in. The update since they posted their original "watching" position referred to a CNET article about how slow Next-Gen is coming along.

For the intervening period, Best Buy is offering the Connect Duo for $69.99.

Here are all the ATSC 3.0 test stations (so far):

WI9XXT, channel 43, Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland
KFPH-CD, channel 35, Phoenix, Arizona
WRAL-EX, channel 39, Raleigh, North Carolina
KSBB-CD, channel 17, Santa Barbara, California

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)