Can You Believe This Dish is Elevated at 5deg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
I had a HughesNet oval dish pointed at Telstar 12 which is only at a 5 deg elevation in Michigan. It's performance was mild at best, so I replaced it with a 1.2m Channel Master. Now this dish will not go lower than about 15 deg till it hits the post. SatAv recently posted info for inverting your dish and ADD approx 26 deg to the elevation to get your sat.
I did this, was easy and worked perfectly! Thank you SatAv.

02-08-12_1734.jpg

02-08-12_1732.jpg

This last picture is over the back of the dish showing where it is looking.
Over my RV and back garage (barely) to the Eastern horizon.

02-08-12_1733.jpg

Now thats confusin! Reminds me of Annie Oakley firing her pistol over her shoulder,lol. I'm totally surprised that works, but the mechanics of it must be real.

I put my 1.2 CM sideways to get 30W. 6° elevation.

Attachments

• LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 227
  • LNB_face.jpg
    LNB_face.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 222
  • aim.jpg
    aim.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 211
I put my 1.2 CM sideways to get 30W. 6° elevation.

What keeps your setup from blowing over or the neighbor kids from knocking it over? It does not look like there is anything on the base to help prevent it from tipping over. Is this a portable setup?

Since that picture was taken, the base has been readjusted into a Z pattern. At the corners are the vertical poles. A 3 inch for the 1.2 and another smaller for the 84e.(can be slightly seen in the picture 1 behind the 1.2) The corners are ~12 inch lengths welded 90° that the 4 ft "legs" slip fit into with the poles welded to. 50+mph gusts* have not blown it over. >>Is this a portable setup?<< Nothing "in ground" and can be knocked down in just a few minutes. No bolts used, just slipped together. Made from telespar . *Wx service reported, don't know if it was that strong here, but it was dang windy.
Neighbor kids? They know better so not a problem.
>>replacement LNB mount<< The only place I've seen that part is www.satellitedish.com/page-31.htm

I had a HughesNet oval dish pointed at Telstar 12 which is only at a 5 deg elevation in Michigan. It's performance was mild at best, so I replaced it with a 1.2m Channel Master. Now this dish will not go lower than about 15 deg till it hits the post. SatAv recently posted info for inverting your dish and ADD approx 26 deg to the elevation to get your sat.
I did this, was easy and worked perfectly!
Thank you SatAv.

So you're saying the inverted elevation in your case was about 31.0°= (5.0°+26.0°)?
Would you point me to where SatAv posted that info?

31.0°= (5.0°+26.0°) best I understand it you have it right.
I couldn't find the post. Maybe SatAv will remember.

• The offset angle of that CM dish is 26°.
  • When the reflector is inverted the dish will be aim 26° lower than the vertical plane of dish.
  • If an inclinometer is placed on the vertical plane of the dish, the dish would need to be tilted back 26° to be aimed at 0° elevation.
  • The OP wanted to receive a satellite at 5°, so add and additional 5°. You guys got the math right.

Why invert the dish?
  • To overcome the physical limitations of the mount or the dish striking the mast.
  • To minimize terrestrial ground noise, providing a better carrier to noise C/N ratio and improve the Signal Quality.

I tried putting my dish on backwards. I got an unknown signal until I realized I was picking up my neighbors going at it.

Upside down, sideways dishes, incredible. I thought my dishes worked pretty well mounted right=side up! lol
wonder what other tricks SatAV has up his sleeve.........really is a great fix for those low-elevation birds.

Why invert the dish? [LIST said:
[*]To overcome the physical limitations of the mount or the dish striking the mast.
[*]To minimize terrestrial ground noise, providing a better carrier to noise C/N ratio and improve the Signal Quality.
[/LIST]

* to mow the grass underneath

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts