Can you get 480p from a non HD box on Dish Network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfino

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
My father in law recently got an HDTV, and not really interested in getting HD content from DishNetwork. He is content on getting the few HD stations over the air.

I called the Customer Service line to inquire about getting an HD box, they explained that i also needed a new Antenna. - ( on a side note, Dish Network also had to come out less than a month ago to swap a box and add another antenna to get his international package working )

I told them that we weren't really concerned about getting HD package from Dish, and they explained, then there would be no reason to upgrade the box. They explained that I would still be able to get 480p using the RCA cables ( Yellow, red, white ) This didn't seem right to me.

Short of spending more time on the phone, and paying for another $100 service call, $100 antenna, I thought I would check here first. Just looking to be able to use Components or HDMI inputs on the new TV to allow for the best possible picture.

What options do I have. Thanks in advance.

Our non-HD receivers do not have HD outputs (the 381 has component). To get the new TV hooked up via HD connections, the receiver will most likely need to be upgraded. What receiver model is currently installed?

Composite cables are not capable of 480p. The non-HD receivers only have RF, composite or S-video, all of which are not capable of 480p. Only component and HDMI connections support anything above 480i.

He has the solo 311. The new TV set, does not have S video, and is mostly HDMI and Component. I may be able to use RCA, but that is not the preferred route. If I switch the HD box, could we watch content in 480i/p?

He has the solo 311. The new TV set, does not have S video, and is mostly HDMI and Component. I may be able to use RCA, but that is not the preferred route. If I switch the HD box, could we watch content in 480i/p?

Yes, our receivers support up to 1080i (1080p on some VOD's), but you can watch SD programming as well via an HD receiver.

Yes, our receivers support up to 1080i (1080p on some VOD's), but you can watch SD programming as well via an HD receiver.

Would it also require him to upgrade the antenna? We are not interested in getting HD content through Dish.

If i upgraded the box, and did not not upgrade the antenna, what would the SD content display as?

Ideally I would just like for him to get an HD capable box to get the HDMI output and upgraded picture.

Cheapest thing to do is buy a 211k from dishstore.net for 119. That way you avoid all service call fees and upgrade fees. The 211k has a input for an antenna on it so you could run it through that. The box would be shipped to your house and you would just have to call to get it activated.

Unless you really know what you are doing it is best to have Dish do the upgrade. You get whatever you need included (dish, switch, etc) for a low price if you have the service plan. If you already have HD service then you can buy a receiver and swap out, but if you do not have HD most likely you will need a new dish and maybe a switch depending on your market. A new dish costs more than a Dish service call.

He said he doesn't want/ need HD service. That's why I think buying the box is the easiest route.

Thanks for all of the replys. The question I still have is - will i see a difference in upgrading to a new HD box, if I don't get the HD antenna. Will the content broadcast look any different than what i am seeing today over the RCA cables?

Thanks for all of the replys. The question I still have is - will i see a difference in upgrading to a new HD box, if I don't get the HD antenna. Will the content broadcast look any different than what i am seeing today over the RCA cables?

No, probably not. Unless you are a picky person instead of an average person and stare at it meticulously, I have not noticed a great difference

you stated you have international channels so if you do want want HD all you have to do is add the 129 lnbf to your dish since it probaly is a 500+ That would make sence that you paid $100 bucks for the Dish. So do the the math $119 for a new HD box and not being able to get HD or drop $95 forthe upgrade and be happy all the way around

Unless you really know what you are doing it is best to have Dish do the upgrade. You get whatever you need included (dish, switch, etc) for a low price if you have the service plan. If you already have HD service then you can buy a receiver and swap out, but if you do not have HD most likely you will need a new dish and maybe a switch depending on your market. A new dish costs more than a Dish service call.

This is the best suggestion call Dish Network signup for their Dish Home Protection Plan it's $6. a month extra on your bill.If you need a repair or dish upgrade concerning your Dish Network satellite system the charge is $15..It's pretty reasonable when you consider what it costs to have a different dish installed or a tech visit.I have it and would not be a Dish Network subscriber without it.:)

Last edited:
Well I think the ViP receivers make SD channels look a little better on HDTV's but I'd never consider the difference worth the extra cost unless I was actually going HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)