Canadian programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Marg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Ajo AZ
Can anyone tell me why Bell ExpressVu in Canada carrys so many US news networks and Direct doesn't even carry the CBC from Canada.

Legalities.....

And since the CBC shows stuff that is on US networks too there would be the whole Syndex thing

Actually, CBC's programming is all Canadian original programming now. It's CTV and Global that's basically all "American." And if the American networks are worried about ratings, if an American show is aired on a Canadian network and an American network at the same time, they can just blackout the Canadian channel or override it with the American Channel. That's what Canada does the other way around so the Canadian networks get all the ad revenue over there.

Why would anyone want to watch CBC when you have real stations to watch. If the CBC had to survive in the real world without tax subsidies it would be long gone.

Actually, CBC's programming is all Canadian original programming now. It's CTV and Global that's basically all "American." And if the American networks are worried about ratings, if an American show is aired on a Canadian network and an American network at the same time, they can just blackout the Canadian channel or override it with the American Channel. That's what Canada does the other way around so the Canadian networks get all the ad revenue over there.

I'm fully aware of how Simsubs work...I had Canadian TV for about 7 years ;)

But some of the CBC morning programs (kids programming) are on PBS and other networks

But this topic has been brought up numerous times and it all goes back to programming and blackouts

I would say if there was any Canadian network that could pull it off it would be CBC. It would most likely be a CBC World type thing, something designed for international distribution.

The problem becomes, would CBC want to go after it, and would there be any demand for the carriers to add it. It would be a tough sell.

Why on earth would you need CBC ?? I live in Canada and never watch it, it's awful, the only good programming it has is hockey night in canada, and well, all us hockey fans know how that's going this year.

You never watched chilly beach? Little mosque on the Prarie... George Strombo... News with Peter mansbridge.... 30 hours of curling... Need I go on...

LOL the only canadian shows worth watching are Rookie Blue and Flash Point, and I believe they are shown in the states on CBS and ABC... even FX Canada blows, as does HBO canada, you folks in the US have it pretty damn good with tv content. Us in Canada would kill to have LEGAL access to DTV and Dish

Jrbach said:
Why would anyone want to watch CBC when you have real stations to watch. If the CBC had to survive in the real world without tax subsidies it would be long gone.

I love their news. It's so much better than our junk. I feel its not as bias.
Plus they do a better job reporting internationally.

I think George Strombo, Rick Mercer, and their hockey coverage are pretty good. Of course I know hockey is on lockout so that doesn't count. Dragons' Den is OK but I prefer ABC's shark tank over that show.

I think George Strombo, Rick Mercer, and their hockey coverage are pretty good. Of course I know hockey is on lockout so that doesn't count. Dragons' Den is OK but I prefer ABC's shark tank over that show.

I agree, plus The National is a great tv news magazine, and their hockey coverage is second to no one.

TSN has out done CBC with hockey coverage the last 5 years, I lost a TON of respect for CBC when they sold the hockey night in Canada anthem to TSN... I'll agree, the international news coverage is stellar, but I think that is mainly because we have very little news to report in Canada, there is very little crime. Seems like all the news in the US is murders and rapes which sucks, noone wants to hear that.

Danny001 said:
LOL the only canadian shows worth watching are Rookie Blue and Flash Point, and I believe they are shown in the states on CBS and ABC... even FX Canada blows, as does HBO canada, you folks in the US have it pretty damn good with tv content. Us in Canada would kill to have LEGAL access to DTV and Dish

What you guys get better than us is NHL Coverage. No pun intended. We get peanuts nationally compared to you. You get CBC, TSN, and the American nationally televised games via TSN 2. We get what NBC Sports Net carries and a game or two on NHL Net. The rest is our regional team or Center Ice, which provides less HD content than Centre Ice, as I understand. For us the provider needs to supply the HD. As far as I understand for you, Centre Ice provides much of the HD content itself.

The argument of better NHL coverage is irrelevant if there is no NHL season.

Really ?
Seriously ?

The NHL coverage from Canada is second to none ... it IS what they do best ...
Just because the season isn't happening, doesn't mean it shouldn't get consideration.

To each his own I guess, I see the hockey coverage as extreme and excessive to the point where TSN doesn't cover any other sporting events. If there is no hockey, watching sports center on TSN is irrelevant, they'll some how throw in 45 min analysis of the meetings that were held to set a date for the next round of CBA talks lol, its silly. Give me some NFL coverage more than just the highlights, same with NCAA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)