Canadian service below the 49th parallel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
There are a lot of Canadian systems (BEV, Shaw, former Alphastar) below the 49th parallel... but why? The programming is crap, sim sub rules, prices are way too high etc. Three times last year am watching a Pats game on "CBS", when at 7pm sharp the feeds switches to 60 Minutes via the GloablTV feed with about 4 minutes left in the game, plus we don't get US commericials during the Superbowl etc

I can understand some snow birds wanting their local news... but reading this subsection, am surprised at the number of US folks subbing to Canadian TV.

Given the choice between Shaw, Bell, Dish and DTV... it be a no-brainer.

Cheers, K

For me primarily it's the French programming. I grew up south of you in NYS where we got CBFT via a roof antenna, but I now live in the SW United States. Plus I have a summer home in Rimouski, so it's for keeping up with the local news on 716.

In addition, I like the documentary programming on CBC and SRC (Zone Doc, La Semaine Verte, The Fifth Estate, Decouverte, etc......) and old-time programming on ARTV.

AND.....most importantly, les Habs on RDS and other hockey on HNIC where the announcers actually know what they're talking about.....though I will pass on much of Don Cherry.

Canadian News Channels such as RDI, LCN, and CBC News don't waste my time with the drivel that comes from CNN and Fox News, even if their slant on the news is a little different than the US channels.

I'm not sure what the heck people see that's so exciting about the commercials on the Super Bowl......I have this bad habit of hitting the mute button when commercials come on anyway....year round...on all channels!

For me the reason is primarily more sports, timeshifting of US networks, no DVR fee. I also enjoy watching both local and international news from a wide variety of sources. This augments my local cable TV service, OTA for LA locals and FTA satellite.

Before I give my reason, let me say that I am not a Canadian and have no family ties there. DirecTV is my primary service and I use Shaw to supplement that programming.

My reasons for having Shaw are:

1. Hockey. I prefer how hockey is presented on Canadian television versus how it is here in the States. It seems like each hockey telecast is not just a game, but a huge event similar to the early days on Monday Night Football. Also, there's barely a mention of it on ESPN, and yet on TSN and SportsNet it is the dominant sport.
2. News programming. I am a news junkie and I like having options beyond the typical FNC, CNN, MSNBC.
3. ABC College Football. Their coverage is regional at times and it is nice to have additional HD options. Living in ACC country, I'd rather see some Big 10 or Pac 12 football. The Gameplan package on DirecTV has these games also, but in Standard Def.
4. Other sports (Olympics, Curling). It was nice to watch the Olympics live versus tape delay. Also, I like to watch curling from time to time as well!
5. Other programming (documentaries, etc)

I have Shaw for over a year and I've been pleased with the programming.

We like lots of the same things other people have said. We use the timeshifting all the time, the American news channels are mostly terrible (altho thank goodness Comcast just added BBC World News a few months ago), and you must not ever seen the Olympics on NBC if you dont apprecate CTV and CBC! Also we get almost all HBO and Showtime series with just one movie pkg instead of having to pay for two.

The "real" WGN in HD. Time shifting options that simply cannot compare.
Better picture quality overall than any of the American systems.
Unique channels that simply are not available south of Winterpeg..including
CBC, TV Ontario, Knowledge Network, Showcase, Space, BBC Canada, and others.
Live radio from across Canada. You've got some very unusual stations with original programming that would be welcome anywhere. Q-107 from both Toronto and Calgary. CJOB-Winnipeg. Jack FM-Vancouver. All services of the CBC. Jazz FM CJRT. CKUA-Edmonton. Live radio is a dying breed in many parts of the US, so it's refreshing to be able to hear radio presented like I remember it in the 60s and 70s, living along the Canadian border.

I know the grass is always greener on the other side of the border, but it amazes me why many Canadians want a network like Fox. Is it because they pander to the lowest common denominator? CBC is routinely criticized as being high brow, boring, or irrelevant. It's a great network, and the homegrown programming and news coverage are among its biggest assets. Years of protectionist communications policies have actually created a vibrant market within Canada for video production. Your music and many of your television shows are world class. Is it any wonder that Americans criticize our Olympics coverage no matter which of our networks carry it?

Shaw Direct carries "something different" that many of us are thoroughly impressed with.
Many Canadian actors have found ways to come back to Canada and work fulltime after making it big in the U.S. Perhaps it is in a number of often hidden values that Canadians possess and may not realize. You have got a lot of diamonds in the rough to be proud of. All of these things add up to a media package that runs rings around anything south of the border.

When I had Bell and then Shaw it was for these reasons
1. CBC...hockey and the Olympics...and some of those crazy documentaries. I am fascinated with Northern Canada so to see "Wrestling with the North" (about a wrestling promotion that goes to 1st nations in Manitoba and had guys on it who became WWE stars and "The town at the top of the world" about Grise Fjord, Nunavut was stuff we'd NEVER see here in the US.
2. TSN...hockey and the Jays games (and WWE RAW)
3. Showcase for the Trailer Park Boys....unedited :D
4. the timeshifting (this is when PVR's were new)....so I could record stuff from Seattle or Spokane
5. The radio stations.....this is when nobody streamed online
6. CityTV...for Ed's night party :)
7. The different locals available.

I know the grass is always greener on the other side of the border, but it amazes me why many Canadians want a network like Fox. Is it because they pander to the lowest common denominator?

I'm curious as to what you mean by this? Are you saying this of the US networks as a whole, or are you saying specifically Fox? To me, the reason is obvious. This is because the most sought after programming is on the US networks. It's not just Canada - it's across the globe where they seek out the programming, so I'm not sure why Canadians are being singled out. Like it or not, and as much as I dislike a lot of what the US networks do, their programming is wanted globally. Rather than wait for delayed programming like most of the globe has to, I imagine that some Canadians want to have the programming real time.

Besides, I'm not sure if the networks are the catalyst anyway. Much of the US networks programming is fed live into their existing Canadian channels, like GobalTV, CTV, etc.

I've had BellTV for about a decade before I could no longer have it due to poor signal and it was specifically for the French networks that I could not otherwise receive. I don't know how many people have a Canadian sub in lieu of a domestic provider, but it always seemed to me that many people had it to supplement existing programming.

I don't have it anymore and am thinking about Shaw, but so far haven't made any decision.

Sim subs strikes again: Pats vs Cards on "CBS" w/ 40 seconds left in the game, the feed switches to the Eagles game.

Cheers, K

What I meant to compare was the relatively low quality of most of Fox's output. Take away sports and you've got a lot of reality TV and other things that I'll never watch. You can get many of Fox's programs on Global in Canada, but they do have other things too. Bottom line is that there is a lot of programming produced in Canada that does not make it down here, and it's a shame. CBC and TV Ontario are probably near the top as far as broadcasters commissioning their own programming, but you have a substantial number of independent production companies making things to be shown on both sides of the border as well as exported around the world. Don't sell your own broadcasters short when comparing to some of the things coming out of Hollywood.

What I meant to compare was the relatively low quality of most of Fox's output. Take away sports and you've got a lot of reality TV and other things that I'll never watch.

bingo. Only thing I watch on Fox is sports. Oh wait I did watch Hotel Hell for a few episodes ;)

it amazes me why many Canadians want a network like Fox. Is it because they pander to the lowest common denominator?
Gosh I wouldn't say that. Yeah some of their comedies are kinda raunchy but gee The Simpsons is a classic. We like a lot of their dramas like 24 and House and Touch and Bones and I sure dont think those are "lowest common denominater" at all.

There are exceptions - and none of your examples involve "reality TV".
There's always room for a good scripted drama or a cartoon with multiple layers of thought to figure out the jokes. But you still have to admit that Fox has been heavily weighted with reality programming in the past.

I'd like to throw in my reasons for subscribing to Canadian TV in no particular order 1. Sports - Hockey, Olympics, Curling, poor man's NFL Sunday Ticket 2. French programming 3. News - BBC World 4. Children's programming without commercials 5. Documentaries on Knowledge, TVO, CBC, SRC, and Docs 6. Timeshifting (before DVRs), and some shows air in parts of Canada before the US (eg, 10 pm shows air on CTV or Global Maritimes at 7 pm ET) 7. Ethnic/Cultural programming like on Omni My wife was uber skeptical when I purchased and installed my system, now she can't stand watching anything but Canadian channels.

My reasons: When in the Military way back when, I was stationed in Goose Bay for a stint, I was also stationed in Winnipeg as well, and like others I was infatuated by the programming we didnt get here in the US. While not the greatest by any means, and of course this was the late 90s, it was cool to see the different sporting events like Cricket, Curling, and the Hockey we never seemed to receive in the US. Flash forward years now and in California, getting tired of all the "package deals" and "bundles" they force down your throats. We moved into a new house and not even watching TV very much at all, I refused somewhat to even pay for it and get sucked into the whole "HD, Million channel package, DVR" thing not to add, I cannot stand that contracts are of the norm these days. I want my own equipment, dont want to have to owe somebody back their stuff when I am done, etc.

Needless to say, I found this site and a lot of great folks who turned me on to Shaw Direct. Figured, yeah no locals, but I have a digital antenna for that mess, so whats the worst that could happen, a bunch of strange programming I wasn't used to, some news that meant nothing to me, etc. at worst, I could pack up my $399 (HDPVR 630) and call it a day and lose out.

I was wrong. While it was a huge hassle to get going because you are dealing through a broker, and while still not sold on the quality of the signal and how very few HD channels you seem to get, I loved it. It was different, and most of all, the HDPVR630 box flies through channels like I have never seen, maybe I havent seen them all, but you can pull this menu up, page it down, up left, right, etc and it is smooth and tactful. Others seems to still get get hung up, stuck, etc. Best of all out of all of this, its my equipment, period. Price was like 95$ for nearly everything, always, no gouging, no jump in price, and this one will really get you....Customer service! Even going through a broker, I would send an email to change something, boom! Done, instantly, no BS, no waiting on hold, no "oh we forgot to add that channel, we'll credit you next month, blah blah", outstanding that I could get better customer service through a middle man versus a major company and I was a direct TV customer for some time, and their service stinks if you have to call them.

Stuff I liked:
Hockey and other cool sports I never get here in the states.
Different news without all the celebrity hype and drama even if I dont really need to know whats going on in Halifax!
Music channels, while not a whole lot of them, I really enjoyed the real radio stations and even the programmed ones were cool, good variety, not just the pop normal stuff we are saturated with.
My own personal DVR, no fees, easy to work, dual tuners, etc. Why should I pay to lease the box, and then pay for the DVR service, and more, ridiculous.
Time shifting I still dont get, not sure what it is, but the fact that I get locals from two coasts is awesome, wife can watch her dancing with the stars as she gets home on the west coast from the east coast feed, I dont think the others will still not let you do that, maybe for a fee I am sure.
Children's programming; We had our child as we setup the new system and let me tell you, Treehouse TV was awesome, I think the laws up there allow fewer commercials which we loved, they had lots of BBC CBeebies programming for kids which we do not get at all down here. While it may seem strange, my daughter still loves In The Night Garden, and Waybuloo like they are going out of style. And I think they dont even show them anymore!
Biggest dislike, My wife was pissed because mo more Army Wifes on LIfetime, but I think now they get it up there.

While now we have moved on to Central TX, I went ahead with Time Warner Cable because my wife wanted up and running now! Awful. So many channels its a chore to even find something to watch. Box and remote get hung up constantly. And they reeled me into $89 package that with lease fees and taxes is now $119! And thats for a year only. As soon as I can find someone to put this dish up, I am back on Shaw for sure!

hi chatapuggy I agree with most everything you said. Were in Calif. and we got Shaw earlier this year after losing Bell we like the CDN stuff a lot. Hey sometimes its even fun to find out what's going on in Halifax!

Time shifting is like you said you can get more than one time zone. In the US they dont allow that. At the very least CDNs get two feeds but usually there's even more so it makes it much easier to watch what you want if in the US they'd be on at the same time.

BTW we haven't tried it yet but ppl here have said they call Shaw from the US and the Shaw ppl never say "Oh youre from the US." So you may not need to have your broker call all the time.

Also if you want to put up the Shaw dish yourself ppl here are very nice about helping! Be sure you have a 75cm dish so you'll have a nice strong signal in TX.

I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the services from Canada. Just a basic package probably. Not sure where to begin. I've heard nothing positive about some of the brokers. So I never followed up on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts