Canadian TV in USA??

FavreJL04

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I have been reading about a lot about people in the US somehow getting one of the Canadian services for CBC, sports, and other stuff that is either not available or too expensive here.

I would want the most Canadian networks, American networks, and sports channels. Also more music video channels would be cool.

Which service would be recommended and what is the best way to go about getting one? I don't know anybody in Canada either, so finding an address to set up the account would be very difficult. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so not very far away geographically.

If this kind of question is frowned upon here please accept my apology and feel free to delete it.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Hey favre,

Just went through all this. I live in South florida and I just got hooked up with
Starchoice. While Im not an expert I can say I get a ton of Canadian stations and east\ west
feeds of US channels.

You need to go through a broker. I used Canamsatelite.com. They were great.
You hace to pay them a yearly fee ( 75 bucks ) plus whatever program package you want.

Some people like expressview-I heard they are good! But I cant get all they offer beause I am out of their footprint.

If you need more info I would be happy to assist.

klatu10@myacc.net

Joel

Thanks for the help. I looked it over and there is a wealth of info there. I wasn't sure if it was legal or not, but it appears like it is.

its grey area. SC & Evu cannot sell to US addresses so we either get a Canadian address or go through a broker.

SC has a $20 package that has the Canadian networks (CBC, CTV, Global), one set of US Nets from Detroit, Buffalo, Spokane or Seattle and TSN (kinda like ESPN) and a few other channels. Cool part...it gets you in the game...bad part..can't add ANYTHING to the package. Basic package is like $35 and allows you to add channels by theme or even alacarte.

Are you looking for HD? Reason I ask is since you are close (sounds like) to Canada you could probably go across the border and get a box. But SC doesn't include the dish with it. The installer normally brings it but being in the US they can't. So you would need a 30" dish if all you want is the normal channels. HD is on the 2nd satellite. Kusat.com has the whole kit & kaboodle for sale (box & dish)

I've had SC for 3 years now and love it. :)

its grey area. SC & Evu cannot sell to US addresses so we either get a Canadian address or go through a broker.

SC has a $20 package that has the Canadian networks (CBC, CTV, Global), one set of US Nets from Detroit, Buffalo, Spokane or Seattle and TSN (kinda like ESPN) and a few other channels. Cool part...it gets you in the game...bad part..can't add ANYTHING to the package. Basic package is like $35 and allows you to add channels by theme or even alacarte.

Are you looking for HD? Reason I ask is since you are close (sounds like) to Canada you could probably go across the border and get a box. But SC doesn't include the dish with it. The installer normally brings it but being in the US they can't. So you would need a 30" dish if all you want is the normal channels. HD is on the 2nd satellite. Kusat.com has the whole kit & kaboodle for sale (box & dish)

I've had SC for 3 years now and love it. :)

Only thing is the US exchange on the Canadian dollar is starting to make it not as beneficial to the pocket book.

Ditto on the C$. My monthly ExpressVu bill has just about doubled. And speaking of which I'll throw my $0.02 worth behind ExpressVu based on what you seem to be looking for.

With it I get Boston and Seattle US networks in HD and Centre Ice brings me plenty of hockey in HD.

Ice just an addition...

even in the $20 pack you get the Hd channels ! Thats an additional Detroit and Seattle (I have my sd as Spokane) set of feeds plus NatGeo HD, CBC and CTV. I have not dumped SC yet because of this deal. I would like to consolodate my DishNet sub (with only one set of locals) but I would have to "move" to an HD local address.

Take Care
Satboyz:cool:

you're right...they changed it

Use to not have it in the $20 pack but now you get
SRC (French)
TSN
CBC
CTV
and both sets of nets in HD

that is a sweet deal :)

you're right...they changed it

Use to not have it in the $20 pack but now you get
SRC (French)
TSN
CBC
CTV
and both sets of nets in HD

that is a sweet deal :)

SC website list only selecting only one set of nets on the $20 package. Have they changed this to both East and West AND in HD?!

I have been an ExpressVu subscriber for 4-5 years now - and now I can't get the channels I want to watch. It was impossible to get HD so I NEED to get StarChoice. Where do I start? Oh, I live in Oregon, had a company in BC that was my 'agent' with a Toronto address so I wouldn't be blacked out for most of the game. I can't see my Vancouver stations anymore and...After reading on here I see SC is the way I need to go for sure. EV really has made it difficult to see what I want in Oregon. I can't get the even transponders.

So, I need a broker? How do I get the equipment? I would like HD, what about the old expressvu equipment? I don't really need a dvr, but that would be ok too.

Don't know how accurate this map is but check it out.

Attachments

• expressvu_coverage.jpg
    expressvu_coverage.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 706
Canadian satellite service in the U.S.

If I may add my "two cents" (or 1.75 cents Canadian). I live in southern Maine and have been an ExpressVu "customer" for almost seven (7) years. Yes, the decline of the U.S. dollar against the "Loonie" has meant that my monthly bill has gone from $40-something to $65 at last statement during this time, but still it worth it.

With our ExpressVu service not only can we receive the U.S. network affiliates in Boston and Seattle, but CNN, BBCWorld (24 hour news) and many of the standard U.S. channels, but also CBC, CTV and Global (the Canadian networks), several "public-like" broadcasters, like TVOntario, which carries a lot of British drama productions and sitcoms, not seen in the U.S. I can't speak for the sports offerings, but certainly hockey and soccer are plentiful via Canada. We appreciate the different perspective on the news and politics we get through Canada and the BBC. If you are French speaking, there's a whole world of excellent (and I mean quality) programming for young and old. There is a wide-selection of music channels and various Canadian radio stations, across the country available, as well.

They allow you to watch all networks in all five Canadian time zones and the U.S. networks in the Eastern and Pacific time zones. So, if you're in Dallas and miss the ABC Evenings News at 5:30, you can watch it two hours later from the Seattle ABC affiliate. If you're watching a Canadian program, you can watch it one or two hours earlier from the Atlantic time zone (Halifax) or Eastern time zone (Montreal) or two hours later from the Pacific time zone (Vancouver).

Both ExpressVu and StarChoice are good services, but ExpressVu (being part of the much bigger Bell Canada) has a policy of being very aggressive about cutting off any U.S. viewer it discovers--even if we're paying our bills. So you have to be careful. From what I've heard, StarChoice is a "friendlier" company and has chosen a "don't ask; don't tell" attitude. No, you can't just call them up from Tulsa and order service. You still need to "appear" to reside in Canada, and that's where the "programming brokers" come in.

Exercise caution in selection your programming broker, not all "brokers" are the same. For the first few years, I was "serviced" by an outfit in Winnipeg, with a U.S. 800 number. They charged me $100 a year and did the monthly processing of my credit card to pay the ExpressVu bill. Then, ever few months, I'd lose my service, call them, and by the end of the day, I was back up. What I later discovered was that they were not not paying my bill with ExpressVu, and keeping the money and I was being cut off for non-payment. I left them for a woman in Ontario, who merely acts as my "Canadian address". My Visa card is on my account with ExpressVu and they bill me each month and I've never lost service under this arrangement. If I have a problem or need to make a programming change, I send her email, she contacts ExpressVu and the matter is handed.

You will never been able to "own" your service completely, since you can't be seen to not be in Canada. So, for example, you cannot hook the receiver to your phone line and take advantage of pay-per-view movies or other interactive programming. You cannot call ExpressVu or StarChoice yourself and change your programming or report trouble. All this must pass through your broker.

That said, I found that my VoIP phone provider gives me up to four phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada and any one can be set as my Caller ID number. So, my programming broker lives in Ontario. I added a phone number to my VoIP service in that same town, where my ExpressVu account is set up. I arranged with my broker to add my Canadian caller id number to my ExpressVu account. I set my VoIP to display the Canadian phone number as my caller ID. I hooked up my receiver to my phone line. Now, I can use pay per view and interactive service, the receiver can "phone home" when it wants to, because the ExpressVu computer sees a Canadian phone number coming in. The broker won't provide me the necessary information to be able to dial up and speak with ExpressVu myself, as that would knock the broker out of her revenue. The one thing about having a Canadian phone number as you caller id, anyone else you call thinks someone from an unknown area code is calling and should they happen to use that number to redial you, they may be paying a higher rate to "call Canada." So, use with care.

LIke I said, it's worth it, if you consider a few points. If I can be of any further help, let me know. Good luck and good (I mean it) viewing...

Michael in Maine:)

Last edited:
That said, I found that my VoIP phone provider gives me up to four phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada and any one can be set as my Caller ID number.
Thanks for the info...
I tried to do this with Vonage. After much hassle with them telling me, yes it can be done and then no it can't, I was able to get a Canadian virtual number but can't get it to show for caller id. What VoIP provider do you have? If you don't want to post the name, please PM me.

Don't know how accurate this map is but check it out.
Thats very interesting hiker. I saw another map soon after the satelite problem first happened and it showed okay in Wash. and Oregon, but not Calif. Maybe it was wrong but its interesting that this map shows western BC not covered either.

So just curious is anyone here in western Wash. or Ore. or BC and can you get BEV??

If I may add my "two cents" (or 1.75 cents Canadian). I live in southern Maine and have been an ExpressVu "customer" for almost seven (7) years. Yes, the decline of the U.S. dollar against the "Loonie" has meant that my monthly bill has gone from $40-something to $65 at last statement during this time, but still it worth it.

With our ExpressVu service not only can we receive the U.S. network affiliates in Boston and Seattle, but CNN, BBCWorld (24 hour news) and many of the standard U.S. channels, but also CBC, CTV and Global (the Canadian networks), several "public-like" broadcasters, like TVOntario, which carries a lot of British drama productions and sitcoms, not seen in the U.S. I can't speak for the sports offerings, but certainly hockey and soccer are plentiful via Canada. We appreciate the different perspective on the news and politics we get through Canada and the BBC. If you are French speaking, there's a whole world of excellent (and I mean quality) programming for young and old. There is a wide-selection of music channels and various Canadian radio stations, across the country available, as well.

They allow you to watch all networks in all five Canadian time zones and the U.S. networks in the Eastern and Pacific time zones. So, if you're in Dallas and miss the ABC Evenings News at 5:30, you can watch it two hours later from the Seattle ABC affiliate. If you're watching a Canadian program, you can watch it one or two hours earlier from the Atlantic time zone (Halifax) or Eastern time zone (Montreal) or two hours later from the Pacific time zone (Vancouver).

Both ExpressVu and StarChoice are good services, but ExpressVu (being part of the much bigger Bell Canada) has a policy of being very aggressive about cutting off any U.S. viewer it discovers--even if we're paying our bills. So you have to be careful. From what I've heard, StarChoice is a "friendlier" company and has chosen a "don't ask; don't tell" attitude. No, you can't just call them up from Tulsa and order service. You still need to "appear" to reside in Canada, and that's where the "programming brokers" come in.

Exercise caution in selection your programming broker, not all "brokers" are the same. For the first few years, I was "serviced" by an outfit in Winnipeg, with a U.S. 800 number. They charged me $100 a year and did the monthly processing of my credit card to pay the ExpressVu bill. Then, ever few months, I'd lose my service, call them, and by the end of the day, I was back up. What I later discovered was that they were not not paying my bill with ExpressVu, and keeping the money and I was being cut off for non-payment. I left them for a woman in Ontario, who merely acts as my "Canadian address". My Visa card is on my account with ExpressVu and they bill me each month and I've never lost service under this arrangement. If I have a problem or need to make a programming change, I send her email, she contacts ExpressVu and the matter is handed.

You will never been able to "own" your service completely, since you can't be seen to not be in Canada. So, for example, you cannot hook the receiver to your phone line and take advantage of pay-per-view movies or other interactive programming. You cannot call ExpressVu or StarChoice yourself and change your programming or report trouble. All this must pass through your broker.

That said, I found that my VoIP phone provider gives me up to four phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada and any one can be set as my Caller ID number. So, my programming broker lives in Ontario. I added a phone number to my VoIP service in that same town, where my ExpressVu account is set up. I arranged with my broker to add my Canadian caller id number to my ExpressVu account. I set my VoIP to display the Canadian phone number as my caller ID. I hooked up my receiver to my phone line. Now, I can use pay per view and interactive service, the receiver can "phone home" when it wants to, because the ExpressVu computer sees a Canadian phone number coming in. The broker won't provide me the necessary information to be able to dial up and speak with ExpressVu myself, as that would knock the broker out of her revenue. The one thing about having a Canadian phone number as you caller id, anyone else you call thinks someone from an unknown area code is calling and should they happen to use that number to redial you, they may be paying a higher rate to "call Canada." So, use with care.

LIke I said, it's worth it, if you consider a few points. If I can be of any further help, let me know. Good luck and good (I mean it) viewing...

Michael in Maine:)

Is your "lady in CA" a broker that will deal with other people? I really want to get this setup soon! And would they be willing to ship the equipment down (at my cost of course)? I just want to rent the equipment and get my Hockey Night in Canada back!

Also, since I dont have a VOIP service, I cannot connect the phone line obviously. Do they really try to call and ask for some number periodically? We have Dish Network now and we never have the phone line connected because we were under the impression it was for PPV only. All the interactive content downloads over the sat connection...

I am trying to grasp the concept of how this is done. I know the programming I want, I know what equiptment I want to rent, I just dont know how to get the stuff to me, and the money to Bell... Any help would be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)