Canam Satellite

Looks like they are in big doo doo and maybe their customers too:

Dish Network Programming Shutdown by Supreme Court

"Today, the Supreme Court of BC granted an injunction to Dish Network to prevent us from helping any Canadian receive any programming being broadcast by Dish Network.

In addition, Can-Am Satellites has been ordered to turn over to Dish Network all of our customers’ names and receiver information so that Dish Network can terminate their programming. Dish Network may also pursue legal action against these customers, who, it was discovered during the hearing, are liable for a fine of up to $1000 for each day for violation of the Radiocommunications Act. This means that if a customer was to be proven by Dish Network that they viewed their programming for, say seven years, then the fine could be as much as 7 x 365 x $1000 = $2,555,000. While I hope that this kind of fine will never be imposed, it demonstrates the draconian and repressive force of the Radiocommunications Act to deny ordinary Canadians from watching television signals of their choice."

Can-Am Satellites wants $1000 from at least 1/2 of his 500 customers to pay for the case.
Hmmmmm ..

why people would want ANYTHING to do with them is beyond me

seriously folks just cut losses, buy new equipment and go with a different broker. That equipment is so blacklisted right now you couldnt do anything with it if you wanted to

I used to be a customer of CanAm (StarChoice) but after the bust I had a hard time reaching him. Emails (even sent to his new place) went unanswered or took a long time. Phone calls were useless. I was looking to upgrade to a HD Shaw system and the last thing I wanted was to invest in a new dish and have my activation/customer service up in the air.

My impression is that the business has moved on to other stuff and sat-dishes are just a side hobby (IMO).

I'm with a new broker and I'm very happy.

why people would want ANYTHING to do with them is beyond me

There have been many "Can-Am" companies offering satellite services and I think several posters within this thread are speaking of two, completely different companies that shared the same name (and not much more).

Who?

I used to be a customer of CanAm (StarChoice) but after the bust I had a hard time reaching him. Emails (even sent to his new place) went unanswered or took a long time. Phone calls were useless. I was looking to upgrade to a HD Shaw system and the last thing I wanted was to invest in a new dish and have my activation/customer service up in the air.

My impression is that the business has moved on to other stuff and sat-dishes are just a side hobby (IMO).

I'm with a new broker and I'm very happy.

Who is it? Looking for one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts