CANAM Satellites

Does it matter if it is the same last name. Now they don't see the address.I want to have the charges dropped from my credit card how do I do this?Do I just dispute it and they will take it off.I don't want to change my credit card number If I call Bell I probably wouldn't be able to get back on again.

To get a new customer incentive on the 9242 I closed and opened a new account last summer.

I used my wife's name on the new account (same last name) and of course went to a new credit card. I would be very cautious if I were you about trying to use the same credit card you gave them for the old account. I have no idea if they check on credit cards or not, but you don't want to risk having your brand new hardware being turned off.

I am going to use a new card.Just wondering how to get the charges off my credit card from Canam.

There is almost no chance that you can get you money back unless you go through your CC company.

My best advise is cancel your CC asap if you have not done so already and move on to another broker and/or provider.

I posted some advise a few months ago. It would have saved you some money it looks like. Only thing to add to what I said is to avoid a broker if it is at all possible. Live and learn eh!

You can rent a box at any Mailboxes/UPS stores without ever going to them. Pick one from any on line yellow pages and call. Give them a credit card, you will need to supply by mail a copy of your drivers license and the credit card used. Note you get an address that uses you box number like an apt number so it looks like Mr. Jones, XXX Smith Street, # 102, Toronto, Canada xxx-xxx. Use auto pay and paperless statements for your bills, the sat company will use the Box address as the "service address" for your account. P.S. you can even get any mail forward from the box to you home at a small charge. Later you can change "billing address" to you 2nd home address and they will keep the same "service address" Its a little work but you avoid a broker. You will need an independent retail to mail you a Set Top box from Canada and tell the Sat company you set it up your self because you travel for work and can't wait around for install at the service address. Also use a cell phone number not land line number as your phone number.

Last edited:
You can rent a box at any Mailboxes/UPS stores without ever going to them. Pick one from any on line yellow pages and call. Give them a credit card, you will need to supply by mail a copy of your drivers license and the credit card used. Note you get an address that uses you box number like an apt number so it looks like Mr. Jones, XXX Smith Street, # 102, Toronto, Canada xxx-xxx. Use auto pay and paperless statements for your bills, the sat company will use the Box address as the "service address" for your account. P.S. you can even get any mail forward from the box to you home at a small charge. Later you can change "billing address" to you 2nd home address and they will keep the same "service address" Its a little work but you avoid a broker. You will need an independent retail to mail you a Set Top box from Canada and tell the Sat company you set it up your self because you travel for work and can't wait around for install at the service address. Also use a cell phone number not land line number as your phone number.

Does this work if a Canadian wanted to subscribe to Dish, for example?

-Mike

I don't know if the Mailbox drop would work for a Canadian wanting to get Dish. I guess it would would be harder because Dish uses a lot of Spot Beams and that would affect the Sat foot print for viewing "local" stations, ConUS might not be a problem. I also don't about Canadian laws and regs getting and using the Set Top box in Canada.

I also point you to peano's reply above as well.

Last edited:
I casually looked into this last year and Vonage told me they no longer offer Canadian Numbers if you reside in the US. I know it used to be an option but if you go to their website now, you can only pull up US area codes.

There may be a way by dealing with Vonage Canada but I did not pursue it.

You'll need a number with a Canadian area code though. If you happen to use Vonage, you can get a Canadian number for an extra $5/mo.

I casually looked into this last year and Vonage told me they no longer offer Canadian Numbers if you reside in the US. I know it used to be an option but if you go to their website now, you can only pull up US area codes.

There may be a way by dealing with Vonage Canada but I did not pursue it.
You can still add a Vonage virtual number for some Canadian area codes. I just tried it but did not complete the order. You can't change your primary number to a Canadian one, only add virtual one, so if you call *C, the caller id number that they see will be your primary number.

I had a Canadian virtual number when I first subbed to *C, but I have since dropped it. It really isn't necessary since, AFAIK, they won't call it. I only used it once for an automatic callback when their CSRs were busy and I didn't want to hold on the phone.

I call from both my Canadian and US residences without any questions on where I cam calling from. I have never been asked my account number. Everytime the ask me for my phone number my name and then my full address (Canadian version).

Last edited:
Yeah, with Bell all you need is the phone number on your account and PIN. I have never been asked my address or account number

You can't have your primary number as a Canadian number, but you can have an additional (virtual) Canadian number (as well as British, Mexican, French, and a few other countries).

You can't have your primary number as a Canadian number, but you can have an additional (virtual) Canadian number (as well as British, Mexican, French, and a few other countries).

One important point, your virtual number with Vonage is just a second number for inward dialing. It works this way so relatives in Canada, UK or wherever just have a more local call and reduce costs.

The virtual number is not used for outgoing calls. If you dial out, it defaults to your regular primary US phone number for Automatic Number Identification purposes. That number will show up for them unless unless you block it first. The biggest issue with this is the fact that you must still never connect your receiver up the phone line. The receiver will not dial *69 first so you will be revealing your location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)