CANAM Satellites

I know this is old but what ever happen with this??
Absolutely nothing, because U.S. law does not prevent Americans from viewing foreign satellite. In fact, the 1st amendment probably protects it.
Also, no Canadian laws were being broken, as the viewing is occurring in the U.S., which is out of Canadian jurisdiction.

While Canadian law can (and does) prevent Canadians from viewing American satellite, American law does not prevent Americans from viewing Canadian (or anyone else's) satellite.

That's the best thing to do. You don't have to worry about mail not getting to you, no fees to pay, and full control of your account in your name.
I use my wife's parent's cottage for my account. Never had any problems. My father-in-law opens any mail for me and forwards anything nessessary (ie. smart cards).

The big question is can I move my existing equipment to a new account or do I have to buy new? I'm guessing if I *can* move the equipment, I'd need Largo's cooperation, which at the moment they are unable to provide and in the future may be unwilling to provide.

The only info I have on my account is the receivers on it and the card used to pay for it.

KUSAT is your Savior! ^_^

my dear colleagues, you should have gone with Kusat in the 1st place. Their service is much more superior than canamsat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they do provide brokering services.

Thanks, there is no mention at all about providing this service for people residing in the US. This is very srange as there would be no need to have a broker in Canada...

Thanks, there is no mention at all about providing this service for people residing in the US. This is very srange as there would be no need to have a broker in Canada...
Way back when I first ordered my receivers, they offered the brokering service to me, and sent an email detailing how it worked, fees, etc... They basically will rent a PO Box for you and charge you $75/yr to maintain it (that was the fee back in Aug'04).

I declined the service, as I use my in-laws address instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
where website is almost back to life.check it out

After much calling and calling, I finally spoke with "Sandy" this morning again. She says their computers are still down and they have no idea when they'll be back up again.

You'd think that they could get things going again faster than this- unless they lost their database and are having to rebuild things from scratch by going through paper files. Ugh. But at least they're answering their phones now.

Robbie

Thank you Robbie for the info.
After talking to another company it seems your/my current receiver is link to CanAm which means the receiver can not be "moved" without CanAm's approval e.g. SC customer numbers etc.
Just hope they are going to be back up or give/sell us the SC customer numbers etc.
I was told without that info SC would not activate the receiver for a "new" owner. Therefore you would need a new receiver/account be registered with SC.

Last edited:
Good luck to you guys, 2.5 years ago I got bunt by a broker who couldn't or wouldn't release my 2 receivers when he closed up shop. I guess it's the gamble we take when you deal in the gray market. Lucky for me they was both cheapo sd receivers and I was planing on upgrading to 505's anyway.

I found this site after doing a search. I see that I'm not the only one with questions about what's going on. I see that I'm not the only one calling and not getting answers, when I can get through.

So what exactly did happen? I have a *C receiver that has yet to be activated (just moved and waiting to install the dish). Am I to assume that if I call tomorrow to activate, I'll be S.O.L.? Those who were already activated -- did your programming go out?

Can-Am Satellites Online Store

On June 26th, 2008, Directv raided our offices with a Court Order in hand that prevents us from assisting our customers to access Directv programming. Directv, with the authority of the Court Order, seized our Directv customer list and have begun terminating accounts. The Court Order prevented us from disclosing these events until 10 days after the fact. Please be advised that we are weighing our legal options and in a week or two we will be able to determine our future with respect to this matter. In the meantime, we invite your comments and suggestions as to how we might best serve your interests. At this time, Dish Network customers are unaffected.

Sincerely,
Richard Rex
Owner, Can-Am Satellites
rrex@smalldish.com
July 6th, 2008

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)